PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Loss all on McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
The loss is on the lack of pass rush not McCourty. I think Arrington played a lot better last night. Once we had to push the safety ups to stop the run that is when the corners got shown up. When the d-line is not getting much pressure or the LB's can not step up to stop the run the corners are going to be stuck on an island. And not one of the corners can hold up all game on a island.

Re: Devin McCourty = Suck

I do not believe McC can be blamed for the entire lose...not by a long shot. He was however terrible. Arrington was also terrible and the offense did not execute when it had the game in its hands with the lead. We have seen that as often as we have seen the defense beaten in the end. In fact for the most part the defense allowing the opponent to score the winning points at the end generally follows our offense simply doing nothing to close out the game when it could have.

Even in the game thread itself many of us were posting that we would not be able to make enough first downs or score on the final drive to close out the game. These games follow a recognizable pattern now and if the pattern does not change the result will not change, certainly not against the better teams in the league though we will likely be able to beat the dregs this way. Winning those games will convince us that all is well until we meet another of the better teams and have the same thing happen that happened last night.

I agree 100%. He played SHUTDOWN for most of the game and then got beat on a few plays which ultimately cost the game. He has improved a lotcompared to last year though. A LOT. I don't understand the hate.

He played SHUTDOWN? Are you serious?

Has our D regressed so much in the last few years that some now consider McCourtys performance shutdown?

Flacco targeted him all 4th qtr. On the last drive he got burnt bad by Jones and gave up a long completion, then followed that up with the PI on Jones which gave them the easy field goal try. He dropped 2 picks, one which many on this board could have caught. He gave up a TD to Smith. He whiffed on a horrible attempt at a tackle on the Ravens 1st TD. How in Gods good name is that SHUTDOWN?

Peter King mentioned how bad he has become, Curran went as far as to say he cost them the game, Ty Law (who knows more about playing corner then everyone on this site combined) and Troy Brown are questioning him. The guy was bad last year and he was bad last night. If he can't pick it up he needs to be replaced.

My total is now three easy interceptions that McCourty has found a way to drop.

I agree 100%. He played SHUTDOWN for most of the game and then got beat on a few plays which ultimately cost the game. He has improved a lotcompared to last year though. A LOT. I don't understand the hate.

I agree with this. I read the first few pages thinking that everyone was being sarcastic. Then I realized that many people are actually upset with McCourty. Wow.

This is a sad knee jerk reaction to a loss.

Last edited:

He played SHUTDOWN? Are you serious?

Has our D regressed so much in the last few years that some now consider McCourtys performance shutdown?

Flacco targeted him all 4th qtr. On the last drive he got burnt bad by Jones and gave up a long completion, then followed that up with the PI on Jones which gave them the easy field goal try. He dropped 2 picks, one which many on this board could have caught. He gave up a TD to Smith. He whiffed on a horrible attempt at a tackle on the Ravens 1st TD. How in Gods good name is that SHUTDOWN?

Peter King mentioned how bad he has become, Curran went as far as to say he cost them the game, Ty Law (who knows more about playing corner then everyone on this site combined) and Troy Brown are questioning him. The guy was bad last year and he was bad last night. If he can't pick it up he needs to be replaced.

Spot on.

Devin "Matador" McCourty = Darius Butler Jr.

No DB can play a perfect game ie...Revis or Webb from the Ravens at times give up Big Plays. But not as consistently as McCourty did last night. If McCourty was a Shut Down or played Shut Down CB i want "His" Supporters to tell me why was he targeted so much on the last drive? I thought shut down CB's are "Not Thrown" against in crunchtime.:confused: I saw it in his eyes on the last play of the game ...he has LOST all Confidence in his ability. That Last drive is the begining of the end for McCourty. I will be surprised if HE is Starting in Two weeks. Moore or Dowling couldn't play any worse...McCourty was beaten like drum when it counted.

Last edited:
maybe its just me, but our pass rush was every bit as bad as it has been in 2010 and 2011

maybe its just me, but our pass rush was every bit as bad as it has been in 2010 and 2011

I know he's a Rookie but Hightower was overmatched in every facet of the game last night...he looked and played entirely clueless.

Except for a talented but inexperienced rookie (Jones) replacing a Pro Bowler (Carter), it is the same guys (none of whom can rush the passer). Why would you expect anything else?

As far as McCourty goes, I'll have to look at something more closely going forward:

Are his problems mostly confined to when he's dealing with high end speed, or is it more a general dysfunction?

That was not a good game for the All-Simms front seven. I was appalled by the no call where Nink was read to pounce and got tackled from behind and basically every play JC had as a DT, but clearly BB thought our trenchers were going to have a better game than they did.

I thought McCoury was respectable, comparatively speaking. He actually had a pretty awesome breakup down the sideline against Smith. McCourty was on an island all game due to no pressure by our front. He had a crap defensive holding call, a legit PI, and a couple breakups (we'll be generous and call dropped INT's breakups). McCourty is much more competitive this year. Considering how often we were effectively running a 7v7 drill, he was not the problem. He's definitely running with his guys, Smith's TD notwithstanding.

Jeez, the guy played solid for most of the game. He did have the most crucial PI which was his fault, but to say he needs to be benched or that he sucked all game is just not true.

people who say he should be benched....FOR WHO!?!?

No DB can play a perfect game ie...Revis or Webb from the Ravens at times give up Big Plays. But not as consistently as McCourty did last night. If McCourty was a Shut Down or played Shut Down CB i want "His" Supporters to tell me why was he targeted so much on the last drive? I thought shut down CB's are "Not Thrown" against in crunchtime.:confused: I saw it in his eyes on the last play of the game ...he has LOST all Confidence in his ability. That Last drive is the begining of the end for McCourty. I will be surprised if HE is Starting in Two weeks. Moore or Dowling couldn't play any worse...McCourty was beaten like drum when it counted.

That's why I said he played shutdown for MOST of the game, not the entire game. I'd like to see how many catches were made against McCourty and how many yards they went for up until the end of the 3rd quarter. Not many if I remember correctly.

Curran is such an idiot.

Please..I blame #24 more than Mccourty...Yes he had the blatant PI call, but he was solid all game, IMO

I cannot blame McCourty for the loss exclusively. That's just stupid. I am concerned that the front seven had so much difficulty in stopping the run. That surprised me. I thought they were better than that based on what we'd seen in the prior two games. I agree there was a ton of holding by the Ravens OL and that likely helped them but I can't say that was the main reason for the lack of run stopping and lack of pass rush by the Pats' front seven. Still, that game was so poorly officiated that I think it's hard to judge the performance of either team last night because the free first downs and phantom calls were crazy. We need the regular refs back to see how good or bad the Pats really are in my opinion.

Last edited:
If arrington stays up and cathces that EASY Int..we are talking about him differenly as well. That is the play i want back

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News