PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Loss all on McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?
If you are talking about Jones, you do realize we don't play man to man, so you can't take a WRs stats and say that is what the corner gave up right?

pats were mixing up man and zone coverages.

the problem was that once ray rice started getting it going, the safeties were taken out of the equation, hence why they started getting big plays off.

pats run defense looked terrible. there were alot of holds by the ravens...but that doesnt account for everything.

also, half the time the pats had good coverage there would be a bad call that would negate it...then theyd get burned on the very next play. ravens were called for more penalties...but watching the game it felt like most penalties on the pats were on 2nd or 3rd and long (about to be 3rd or 4th and long)...and almost all ended up giving the ravens a 1st down.

Last edited:

the problem was that once ray rice started getting it going, the safeties were taken out of the equation, hence why they started getting big plays off.

pats run defense looked terrible. there were alot of holds by the ravens...but that doesnt account for everything.

What really everyone has forgotten though is, the Pats defense played lights out defense the first quarter.

I wonder how a defense could just collapse like they did.

The trouble with the 2012 NE defense is no Andre Carter.

The trouble with the 2012 NE defense is no Andre Carter.
Now we just have to somehow get Belichick to realize that.

What really everyone has forgotten though is, the Pats defense played lights out defense the first quarter.

they were holding rice in check for a while, once he started to get going, pats defense collapsed.

the subs for love and wilfork probably had something to do with it...once they subbed for them (i think it was brace and pryor?)...rice started having a field day...defense never really found a rhythm after that it seemed.

also, half the time the pats had good coverage there would be a bad call that would negate it...then theyd get burned on the very next play. ravens were called for more penalties...but watching the game it felt like most penalties on the pats were on 2nd or 3rd and long (about to be 3rd or 4th and long)...and almost all ended up giving the ravens a 1st down.

We have transitioned from a defense that plays 3 300lb+ DL in a 2 gap technique, to a defense that plays 260 DEs on both sides, and often has a 260 lb DT as well.
I'm not sure why its surprising that a strong power running team exploited that.
Its the sacrifice BB accepted.
However, that DL has to get pressure on the QB.
Ninkovich may have been the worst player on the field last night, and the experiment of him playing LDE better end soon.
Cunnigham has showm much superior pass rush pressure from the DT spot, which is extraordinarily harder, and has well superior run D skills. Even Trevor Scott looked better than Ninkovich for the bit of time he was in there.
Chandler Jones was invisible last night for the most part, but you have to expect games like that from a rookie vs elite LTs.
Kyle Love continues to disappoint as well.

they were holding rice in check for a while, once he started to get going, pats defense collapsed.

the subs for love and wilfork probably had something to do with it...once they subbed for them (i think it was brace and pryor?)...rice started having a field day...defense never really found a rhythm after that it seemed.

Rice did not gain his yards on subs.
And Pryor is on PUP.

There were 3 drives. 2 ended on 4th and feet, and the other was an Int.
After that instead of a 3rd down stop, we had 3rd down penalties.
We stopped the Ravens many times, but after the 1st quarter most of the stops were deleted by penalty.

We have transitioned from a defense that plays 3 300lb+ DL in a 2 gap technique, to a defense that plays 260 DEs on both sides, and often has a 260 lb DT as well.
I'm not sure why its surprising that a strong power running team exploited that.
Its the sacrifice BB accepted.
However, that DL has to get pressure on the QB.
Ninkovich may have been the worst player on the field last night, and the experiment of him playing LDE better end soon.
Cunnigham has showm much superior pass rush pressure from the DT spot, which is extraordinarily harder, and has well superior run D skills. Even Trevor Scott looked better than Ninkovich for the bit of time he was in there.
Chandler Jones was invisible last night for the most part, but you have to expect games like that from a rookie vs elite LTs.
Kyle Love continues to disappoint as well.

jones was almost always right around flacco. he didnt get a hit or sack but he had pressure on the majority of snaps.

being in a chokehold also doesnt help much

Rice did not gain his yards on subs.
And Pryor is on PUP.

it was forston, not pryor.

and when wilfork was out...yes...the pats began to struggle against the run.

also, jones wasnt on the field much when the ravens got their final touchdown. (i think thats when they had scott and cunningham)

id rather have cunningham at LDE than ninko. ninkovich seems to play better in space in the linebacking corps. as a DE he just looks...well...useless

Last edited:
jones was almost always right around flacco. he didnt get a hit or sack but he had pressure on the majority of snaps.

being in a chokehold also doesnt help much

No he wasn't. If you count being a few yards away and completely blocked then you are correct.
Jones has almost zero success against Oher, and blaming it on phantom holding is lame.

it was forston, not pryor.

and when wilfork was out...yes...the pats began to struggle against the run.

also, jones wasnt on the field much when the ravens got their final touchdown. (i think thats when they had scott and cunningham)

Wilfork was in there for the majorty of Rice's 100 yards. Lets not make stuff up to act as if they beat our scrubs.

Wilfork was in there for the majorty of Rice's 100 yards. Lets not make stuff up to act as if they beat our scrubs.

i honestly thought that vontae leach had more to do with ray rice's success last night than anything else.

My patience with McCourty has worn thin. He is constantly burnt and never seems to make the big play...The interception he dropped last night was killer...

im not saying they beat our scrubs. wilfork was in for the majority of the snaps. however the drop in run defense began when he was subbed out. when he was subbed in, it didnt improve.

but lets not make stuff up and say that rice didnt get huge chunks against our 'scrubs'.

lets also not make stuff up and say that having a guy in a chokehold is a 'phantom holding call'. oher beat jones for the most part, but i also saw jones around flacco alot, just not close enough to actually get a sack (couple jersey pulls here and there and that half sack that was recalled were all he really ended up getting).

Last edited:
i honestly thought that vontae leach had more to do with ray rice's success last night than anything else.

When your DL gets blown off the ball, the FBs blocking is even more valuable.

im not saying they beat our scrubs. wilfork was in for the majority of the snaps. however the drop in run defense began when he was subbed out. when he was subbed in, it didnt improve.

but lets not make stuff up and say that rice didnt get huge chunks against our 'scrubs'.

lets also not make stuff up and say that having a guy in a chokehold is a 'phantom holding call'. oher beat jones for the most part, but i also saw jones around flacco alot, just not close enough to actually get a sack (couple jersey pulls here and there and that half sack that was recalled).

1) He was never really stopped. After 7 plays of defense, the Ravens had TDs on their next 3 consecutive drives.
2) He didn't get 'huge chunks' against our scrubs any more than he got them against the best we have.
3) You just described a guy who was handled and had an ineffective night rushing the passer, which is my point. If you feel the goal is to be nearby and not impact the play, your bar is far too low.

could this be a coaching issue? from pro bowl rookie to this? theres a reason flacco went after him hard on the last drive

could this be a coaching issue? from pro bowl rookie to this? theres a reason flacco went after him hard on the last drive

How did he go after him hard on the last drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back