PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O’Brien is going to demand accountability of the receivers

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is big. For all the talk last year about the o-line and Jones last year, the receiving corp was awful last year. Bad route running. Not looking back for the ball. Not finishing routes. Poor sideline management.

From Giardi’s report, looks like there was no accountability for receivers last year and that is going to change.

I think this is big. For all the talk last year about the o-line and Jones last year, the receiving corp was awful last year. Bad route running. Not looking back for the ball. Not finishing routes. Poor sideline management.

From Giardi’s report, looks like there was no accountability for receivers last year and that is going to change.

What does that say about Troy Brown's status?

What do you mean? Their most productive WR in 2021 (Bourne) was benched during training camp because he saw how poorly of a coach Matt Patricia was. Lil' Jordan Humphrey, who had no business being on the field, saw way too many snaps early in the season.

Last edited:
Fine...whatever it takes.

Kind of implies that Troy is not who we thought he was, but expect improvement from him this year under the tutelage of BOB...

I tell you want else you can take from this comment. It's NOT a good look for Troy Brown.

I questioned Troy’s capabilities as a coach for most of last year.

He did a crap job coaching Thornton. Most of Thornton’s biggest issues last year were coachable things. He had poor sideline management. He would stop on routes and look for the ball when the situation calls for him to keep running. Yet, he kept doing them.

And when he was asked about the issues with spacing of the receiver routes where they were so bad that receivers were running into each other, Troy said he had not problem with the spacing. That tells me he wasn’t addressing a clear issue with the route running last year.

Troy is one of my all time favorite Patriots player. He was the epitome of the Patriot Way and played far better than his physical talent level. But that doesn’t mean he is a good coach. A lot of great players make horrible coaches.

I questioned Troy’s capabilities as a coach for most of last year.

He did a crap job coaching Thornton. Most of Thornton’s biggest issues last year were coachable things. He had poor sideline management. He would stop on routes and look for the ball when the situation calls for him to keep running. Yet, he kept doing them.

And when he was asked about the issues with spacing of the receiver routes where they were so bad that receivers were running into each other, Troy said he had not problem with the spacing. That tells me he wasn’t addressing a clear issue with the route running last year.

Troy is one of my all time favorite Patriots player. He was the epitome of the Patriot Way and played far better than his physical talent level. But that doesn’t mean he is a good coach. A lot of great players make horrible coaches.

I agree but we may be underestimating the poor scheme‘s cascading effect on the position coaches. If the scheme is disjointed or unfamiliar, it is hard to coach up a position. That was certainly true of the OL. It’s also hard to believe Troy is a bad coach because he got by on good technique and playing smart, not relying on natural ability.

Thornton’s TC injury set him back a ton. That was a big factor in his mediocre season.

I agree but we may be underestimating the poor scheme‘s cascading effect on the position coaches. If the scheme is disjointed or unfamiliar, it is hard to coach up a position. That was certainly true of the OL. It’s also hard to believe Troy is a bad coach because he got by on good technique and playing smart, not relying on natural ability.

Thornton’s TC injury set him back a ton. That was a big factor in his mediocre season.

I like the message, but I have a hard time believing that Patricia (who came back to New England with a reputation for being such an insufferable hardass that Lions players tuned him out in his first training camp) wasn't holding receivers accountable. It's more likely he just didn't have the nuanced knowledge of route running and offensive structure to correct them. O'Brien does. If they succeed, it won't be because Bill held the receivers accountable, it will be because the receivers trust that what he tells them to do is going to lead to success.

I like the message, but I have a hard time believing that Patricia (who came back to New England with a reputation for being such an insufferable hardass that Lions players tuned him out in his first training camp) wasn't holding receivers accountable. It's more likely he just didn't have the nuanced knowledge of route running and offensive structure to correct them. O'Brien does. If they succeed, it won't be because Bill held the receivers accountable, it will be because the receivers trust that what he tells them to do is going to lead to success.
I think it's partially this, but I also think that he was self aware enough to realize that his credibility was sinking lower and lower as the season went on, and his credibility as an authority figure was reduced to a let's just get through this level.

I think it's partially this, but I also think that he was self aware enough to realize that his credibility was sinking lower and lower as the season went on, and his credibility as an authority figure was reduced to a let's just get through this level.

Also very possible. I don't hate Patricia (some do, I realize), I think he was in over his head. It would make sense that, by the latter part of the season, everyone (including himself) knew that and things just got weird.

Regardless, I'm glad we're moving on with a new-ish voice.

Kind of implies that Troy is not who we thought he was, but expect improvement from him this year under the tutelage of BOB...
Troy is a fine ST coach for returners.

It’s really hard to divine the inner workings of a coaching staff, so I will hold off on judging Troy Brown for now. Hopefully O’Brien is able to turn the entire ship around on offense. I don’t expect miracles, but they need to be in the upper half of NFL offenses, not the lower half. And they need to be able to give their defense a fighting chance every week, not 3 and out, and losing field position and TOP every week. I don’t expect the Chef’s offense, but they need to at least be able to “ matriculate the ball down the field,” which in truth once was the Chef’s offense.

Last edited:
No way of telling how short his leash was last year. He might also have dissented from decisions, but did the right thing, kept his mouth shut in front of outsiders, saluted and executed.

Also if position coaches are tasked with different and possibly inappropriate priorities by the de facto OC they may not be able to coach players as they should.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back