PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is going to be the 2023/24 breakout Patriot?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Last year @TheRazorsEdge started this thread and I'm curious to see what others think as well.

Obviously, aside from Mac, it will be interesting to see who it is that has either a breakout year or just ends up surprising people.

Picking a couple of lower profile guys - or less obvious ones - on both sides of the ball, mine would be:

OFFENSE:
1) Pierre Strong Jr. - He's so explosive in space (he had that 44yd run against the Cardinals in Week 14), curious to see if he emerges.
2) Pop Douglas - He's a shifty guy that I think might be the surprise name at the bottom of the depth chart.

DEFENSE:
1) Jalen Mills - Feels like he's poised for a big year with McCourty gone and he's better than some give him credit for.
2) Keion White - Love this kid's attitude
3) Sam Roberts - Liked him last year, definitely wondering if he'll take a step forward this season.

Hoping Tyquan Thornton obviously emerges (along with Gesicki, etc), and that Christian Gonzalez has a solid rookie campaign, but those are sort of obvious ones.

Otherwise, definitely interested to hear what other people are thinking. :cool:

I think Gonzo is going to be really Fn good! He'll have his growing pains but he's a stud. I'm still excited we landed him.
Same. I think he changes the defense dramatically.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Defense:

No doubt in my mind Jabril Peppers... i think last season was a bit of a learning (&recovery from the ACL) curve for him... I think hes going to round out this year and really help solidify the backfield...

Offense:
This im not so sure of... going to go with Hunter Henry and a return to form... last year was a down year for the whole offense... I am hoping to see more of the red zone target HH than we did a year ago

Defence : Myles Bryant

Offence : Kirk Ferentz

Seriously ..I really hope Thornton sets the turf ablaze (along with Gesiki and Strong) ...and for the defence White (along with Gonzalez and Roberts).

Cole Strange. He got his feet wet last year and had a learning curve going from Division 7 college ball to the NFL. Big sophomore jump coming.

Jack Jones. As long as he survives the charges, he will be even better. And he was already looking good.

To me a breakout is someone that goes from one level to that next level. Expected or unexpected. Basically making the leap.

Offense: Good candidates would be Pierre Strong, Cole Strange, or TT. The fact that they just keep looking like they don’t believe in either of the rooks from last year lead me to believe they’re gonna have a hard time getting a fair shake. Cole Strange should be improved and TT as well. Just don’t think they make the next level leap. I’m gonna go with Mac Jones. Everything is being done to make his job easier. He better make that leap, or his days are numbered. I believe he can put it altogether but now he has to do it.

Defense: Torn between Peppers or Mapu. Peppers another year removed from injury, and more system comfortability. Alpha dog attitude. Mapu if he can remain healthy I believe will have everyone forgetting he is a rookie by EOY and make some really big plays for us. Depending on the Guy situation, White would be a consideration as well.

Fun thread idea. Thanks!

Jack Jones is my obvious selection if the legal stuff gets out of the way, but the next 2 candidates are Barmore and Dugger. Dugger can become a 1st team All-Pro this yr, which would constitute a breakout. Barmore just needs to be on the field.

Gesicki for the offense.

If Jack Jones is a "breakout" player, I fear these guys will be staked out all over the Razor...

210616160357-us-marshals-service-file.jpg

I may be playing games with semantics on the term "breakout", but I'm going to exclude rookies and players that are in their first year with the Patriots. I feel like, in order to breakout, you need to have established a baseline with the team that you can breakout from. Again, semantics, but here we go:

On offense, I'm going to say Stevenson. That may seem odd given he had a good year last year, but I think there's another level there for him, especially in a better system with better coaching (especially on OL). I'm not expecting a Derrick Henry like workload, but per carry I think he's going to be even better in 2023.

On defense, Marcus Jones. There were times last year where he was in spots where I don't think his strengths lie, and he still held his own. He got beat by guys with obvious height advantages, but he never looked lost or overwhelmed. Keep him in a role that best suits him, let him focus on defense and PR (with minimal offense), and I bet he thrives. Not to mention, with his return ability, any time he gets his hands on a pass he's a threat to take for six the other way.

And just for fun, on special teams, Brandon Schooler is going to bring some high energy, splashy plays this year.

If we get a rabbit out the hat with Jack we could have an elite defense for a while. We needed that big boundary but hopefully we get lucky with him.

I think people are sleeping on Kevin Harris: Rham type runner with upside in catching in space. Also Kendrick Bourne don't sleep on him with a real OC he put up 800yds with Skippy McDaniels.

Last edited:
I think people are sleeping Kevin Harris Rham type runner with upside in catching in space. Also Kendrick Bourne don't sleep on him with a real OC he put up 800yds with Skippy McDaniels.
I was a big Kevin Harris fan last preseason, and I definitely still like him.

Special Teams: Baringer; shoes arent too big to fill
Defense: Barmore; showed glimpses Rookie season hampered by injuries
Offense: Taylor Price been waiting on him a while ;) and Pierre Strong, leads teams in RB receptions

Absolutely agree, as good as the defense was last season he was piece that was missing.. on defense I'm expecting another solid season from that side of the ball. On offense my break out candidate is Mac!

I think people are sleeping on Kevin Harris: Rham type runner with upside in catching in space. Also Kendrick Bourne don't sleep on him with a real OC he put up 800yds with Skippy McDaniels.
I like our RB group as is.. we definitely need to let the backs we have get run.. rham is the workhorse.. Harris can spell rham.. strong jr.. is our change up.. back.

Offense:
Gesecki - I truly believe he's going to become a big part of the offense and have great chemistry with Mac.

Cole Strange - I think with a more organized unit with a clear coach/mentor - he will start to show why he IS/WAS a first round talent after all.

I am going to stay away from WRs - with this DHOP smoke it makes it hard to kind of develop an opinion on it. I want to say Bourne and/or Thornton but if DHOP signs it could change things / limit opportunities. I am a Bourne believer, but it's going to be tougher for him to be on the field or maybe keep a spot if DHOP does come + parkers new contract.

Defense:

Jabrill Peppers - I think toward the end of the season as both he and the coaching staff both grew confidence in his abilities/knee , he started popping a whole lot. Expect things to be kicked up a notch for him and by him.

Jack Jones - not going to get into a debate about the Logan stuff. If he's on the field, he's a very good corner with the best football ahead of him. Very excited about the potential depth of our CBs.

Christian Gonzalez- the missing piece that propels us to the next level on defense!

Honorable Mentions:
-Juju Smith
- K.White

I imagine this list will change as things transpire in the offseason but that's how I feel as of today.

Excited to see what this group ends up as, ton of potential.

Thanks for reviving!

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back