PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Does the Roster Stand Now?

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Taylor Kyles sums it up:

1710430700758.png

Obvious holes at QB, LT, WR1 and perhaps TE as well as at deep Safety. The colors make it clear how much the Defense is ahead of the Offense from a talent perspective across the board.

I'm sure some will quibble about the ratings of a few of these players. Isn't Godchaux a Quality Starter? And is Uche really a Backup/Rotational player? Someone just offered him an awful lot of money.

Anyone recommend any sites that provide a continuously updated depth chart.

Be interesting to see the new names in slots and where there is still work to be done.

Thanks in advance friends.

It's the same as last year as it stands, they went from bottom 5 QB to bottom 5 QB, brought back a bunch of players who were already here and signed a 3rd down back.

Let's be honest, the team is picking in the top 10 again next year unless they draft a QB and he hits, that's the only quick way out of this mess.

They could hit everything out of the park in the draft but if the QB play isn't going to massively improve you're still winning 6 games or less.

WE have to hit a home run in the draft to push this team forward, don't care about their record this year, just want to see some good players drafted and next year we can beef it up more.

They are still at the baseline of 2023. I'm hoping they can get Tyron Smith on a short team deal to band aid the LT spot. Sign a DE to replace Guy, sign an outside CB to mentor and compliment Gonzalez - maybe Gilmore is willing to return? Jones needs to return to the slot. Sign some WR's. Peppers and Dugger look like they are going to be the FS and SS. It will all come down to the #3 pick which I assume will be QB.

Otherwise, they may be competing for the first pick overall in 2025.

Defense should remain elite. And simply competent QB play should give us a few more wins. So middle-of-the-pack seems a reasonably safe projection.

Isn't Okurafor a RT not LT? Are you slotting him at LT because there is no one else that is any good? I mean he played the last few years at RT in Pitt if I recall, not LT

Anyone recommend any sites that provide a continuously updated depth chart.

Be interesting to see the new names in slots and where there is still work to be done.

Thanks in advance friends.
I merged your thread into this one simply because the OP had a nice current visual of the depth chart.

My first recommendation is Our Lads. You can also go back and see historical depth charts on their site.

Second would be the World Wide leader in Sports.

The one at CBS Sports still has departed players, though they do have an icon next to those players noting recent transactions.

Unfortunately the team's own website is not up to date.

Isn't Okurafor a RT not LT? Are you slotting him at LT because there is no one else that is any good? I mean he played the last few years at RT in Pitt if I recall, not LT
I'm going to assume the person that made that roster grid didn't want to leave any empty spaces, so he just stuck Okuarafor in for the time being. (note there are no empty spaces.) Based on the color coding he is not considered to be a starter, but more of a swing tackle.

QB will improve because it cant get any worse and coaching change will also net a few more wins because the coaching was putrid as well for the past couple of years so I don't think they will be in the top 5 of the draft again next April

That assessment is quite rose-tinted.

This is the "starting players" v. "players who start" debate.
There are going to be ~22 players who start. Are all deserving to be starting players?
Offensive tackle is an obvious concern. Color coding Bourne and Tavai, for example, as "quality starters" is debatable. Given current depth, yeah, they would start.

Maybe not the right spot...
There's an interesting under-the-radar player on defense, CB Marco Wilson.
He was a combine star - 6-0, 191, 4.35 40, 43.5 vertical, 11-04 broad jump, 6.8 3-cone.
Drafted by Arizona in the 4th round 2021, named Defensive Player of the Week in 2022, posted a 77.1 Pro Football Reference passer-rating-against in 2022. Entered 2023 as CB1 at Arizona. Then really struggled under new Defensive Coordinator Nick Rallis, his passer-rating-against stat rocketed to 136.7, was benched, and then released in December. New England picked him up late in December on waivers.
All the physical tools to be a boundary corner - burst, speed, agility, length. Excelled in one system; failed in another.

One thing NE has really excelled at is developing corners. (OK, at least late-round corners...) Mike Pellegrino has been CB coach since 2019, and was retained. If they can coach him in New England's system, he's certainly an option we haven't talked about much.

Not going to parse out the color coded rankings, because its pointless...

This shows exactly what we are, a team with some talent and hardly any depth... That has to be a long term goal of the EW/AH regime (not withstanding the addition of talent at key positions) - get back to being primed on the depth charts... Having quality depth goes a long ways towards sustained success...

The chart does show, as we all know, the three most important positions on offense are deficient... deficient is too kind of a word... those cupboards are more barren than the womb of a 90 year old woman... QB/LT/WR have to be the primary focus/considerations in the draft... I have come to the conclusion that I am all in on BPA in any of these three positions... QB we want is gone? Go get jimmy G (we should do that right effing now, regardless) and Draft MHJr... If they are taken 1/2, go for Alt/LT... whatever, however they have them ranked... The signing of Jacoby Brissett demonstrably states that the front office does not expect this team to be competitive this coming year... So buckle up for a bumpy road and hope we draft higher than 3 next year so we can get our guy...

As for the moves they did make... most of the new adds are meh depth pieces... but they serve a role, and none have stood out as wtf moves, so its all good (i may not like all the players, but i do understand why they were brought in) ... Add to that, the Pats bringing back our "key" free agents has been woefully underrated... I hear it on the radio - what have they done, they haven't signed anyone... all said with as much negative connotation as the talking bobble heads can muster... Idiots, the lot of em... Yes they did, they signed their own guys - And thats a good thing... The rebuilding process starts at home, here in foxboro... You keep the guys who have talent here. That's the beginning of the rebuild. If that talent you want to keep walks away, you are in an even worse position than when you started... Some people just don't get that i guess...

Last edited:
Looks amazing similar to last years team …. But I’m extremely positive the final results will spell success !!!

Maybe not the right spot...
There's an interesting under-the-radar player on defense, CB Marco Wilson.
He was a combine star - 6-0, 191, 4.35 40, 43.5 vertical, 11-04 broad jump, 6.8 3-cone.
Drafted by Arizona in the 4th round 2021, named Defensive Player of the Week in 2022, posted a 77.1 Pro Football Reference passer-rating-against in 2022. Entered 2023 as CB1 at Arizona. Then really struggled under new Defensive Coordinator Nick Rallis, his passer-rating-against stat rocketed to 136.7, was benched, and then released in December. New England picked him up late in December on waivers.
All the physical tools to be a boundary corner - burst, speed, agility, length. Excelled in one system; failed in another.

One thing NE has really excelled at is developing corners. (OK, at least late-round corners...) Mike Pellegrino has been CB coach since 2019, and was retained. If they can coach him in New England's system, he's certainly an option we haven't talked about much.
Maybe he just wasn’t ready to be the #1 guy on a shi**y defense. Here he would be the #2 with help over the top likely. He is an intriguing option.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back