PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CSSNE: Should Patriots take a chance and sign Aldon Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So do the Pats take a chance on a guy like this? I don't think so although I felt the same about Aquib Talib and he turned out to be force in the back field. Smith was one of the best pass rushers in the game. Has the potential to be a beast. But he has missed a lot of games due to drinking related issues. I am sure Roger will suspend him for a few games and I am sure that if he signed with the Pats ole' Roger boy would suspend him for the rest of the season.

Your thoughts.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/should-patriots-take-chance-and-sign-aldon-smith

Legal issues: Copied from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldon_Smith

On January 28, 2012, Aldon Smith was arrested for driving under the influence in Miami Beach, Florida.[19][20]

On June 30, 2012, Smith was believed to have suffered stab wounds when attempting to break up a fight at a party at his residence. Two other people were shot in the incident.[21] On October 9, 2013, Smith was charged with "three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon" relating to the stabbing incident. The charges were later reduced to misdemeanors.[22]

On September 20, 2013, Smith was involved in a single vehicle accident in San Jose, California. He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of marijuana. After the loss to the Indianapolis Colts in the third week of the football season, he voluntarily entered a rehabilitation facility, to be put onto the non-football injury list with an indefinite leave of absence.[23]

On April 13, 2014, Smith was detained and arrested following an incident at the Los Angeles International Airport in which Smith became belligerent and uncooperative with a TSA agent, who alleged Smith claimed he was carrying a bomb.[24] After interviews revealed that Smith did not clearly state he was carrying a bomb, the Los Angeles City Attorney decided to drop the charges. Smith was suspended for 9 games for the 2014 season.

On August 6, 2015, he was arrested in Santa Clara, California, for an alleged hit and run, driving under the influence, and vandalism charges.[25] He was released by the 49ers the following day as a result.
[26]

isn't he going to be suspended for p much the entire year?

kind of think pats have had enough of the bad boys

Mhvzhvg.png

That would certainly be interesting...

Sign the beast :) J/k this guy needs help off the field before he ever thinks of returning to football

Smith is a loose cannon. Just look at his history so far.

He may never play football again, and as @eom pointed out, he'll be suspended for a healthy amount of time if he does.

Yes. I would be disappointed if they don't.

Absolutely...if only to drive the haters into another quadrant of the galaxy...I'd do it today just to let him sit there and act as a repeating beacon ..."Roger...Roger...Roger...". One of the most feared Viet Cong tortures was the "crazed river rat in a sack" torture. They'd catch a big rat, stick it in a sack and poke it with sharp sticks until it was insane with madness...and then tie the sack with the rat over the subject's head they wanted to torture.. can't think of better way to infuriate the Rogerloid into a frenzy of new "punishments". What have the Pats got to lose at this point?

Only if BB can talk to this kid first after that yes 2 year deal with the team option for the second. First year 3.5 Million.
Wow if not us Washington or Seattle will sign this kid.

Smith is a loose cannon. Just look at his history so far.

He may never play football again, and as @eom pointed out, he'll be suspended for a healthy amount of time if he does.

Yes he will be. His last suspension was for 9 games. I am not sure how Roger will handle this incident but my gut tells me that he would likely receive a lighter punishment if he signed with the Cowboys than he would if signed with the Pats.

But if we put that aside, isn't this similar to a Talib signing? Which, in my opinion, turned out decent.

But no...want no part of him even mentioned in the same sentence as the Patriots. He is spiraling out of control...and we know firsthand what that can lead to.

He's an alcoholic/addict who has relapsed. IF he becomes dedicated to his recovery, then he might play again. But that's a huge "if." I'd hate to see the Patriots sign him, have him play well then get get drunk and kill someone while behind the wheel. Last thing this team needs.

He's an alcoholic/addict who has relapsed. IF he becomes dedicated to his recovery, then he might play again. But that's a huge "if."

An alcoholic at 25 years old. That's a shame. Kid has or had a chance to really earn some serious cash but may blow it before he grows up. Hope he wakes up soon no matter where he signs.

Yes he will be. His last suspension was for 9 games. I am not sure how Roger will handle this incident but my gut tells me that he would likely receive a lighter punishment if he signed with the Cowboys than he would if signed with the Pats.

But if we put that aside, isn't this similar to a Talib signing? Which, in my opinion, turned out decent.

I think starting a discussion on it is a fine idea. The slight possibility of signing him is something that I spun through my head, albeit for only a short period of time.

I respectfully disagree that it is similar to the Talib situation, as both suspension and past history are much more severe. Talib was really nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a minor history, IIRC.

He can apply to be a concessions vendor through the Gillette Stadium website like anyone else.
Sadly, this is probably more likely than him coming to the area as a player for the NEP.

Only if BB can talk to this kid first after that yes 2 year deal with the team option for the second. First year 3.5 Million.
Wow if not us Washington or Seattle will sign this kid.

No amount of "talking" is going to change the fact that he's:

1) Coming off of a 9 game suspension last year and likely looking at a full year suspension

2) Probably won't play anywhere at all in 2015, and may not play anywhere again in the NFL....period

3) Is now looking at his 3rd DUI (jail time), with a past criminal history at a young age. He'll be in the system for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back