PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CSSNE: Should Patriots take a chance and sign Aldon Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An alcoholic at 25 years old. That's a shame. Kid has or had a chance to really earn some serious cash but may blow it before he grows up. Hope he wakes up soon no matter where he signs.

What's even crazier is the fact that he probably wasn't too far off from seeing a life changing mega-million dollar payday, had he simply had one more semi productive season.

One would think that when you're staring down 20-30+ million dollars of guaranteed money in the face, you'd probably chill out a bit and "only" drink a few times a week when you knew that you could. As @Tunescribe points out, he's showing signs of having serious substance abuse/mental health issues.

Should have taken a flyer on Collins

Should look into just what happened with Smith, and take a chance if the 5-0 side of the story doesn't hold up.

Jones, Ninkovich, and Sheard. I don't see why the Patriots would do something like this when they have solid pass rushers already.

Let Dallas have him. Nothing more I'd love than to see Jerry "Rog is doing great!" Jones watch his locker room come apart at the seams again.

When he was let go the first thing I thought was his agent will target the Patriots. When a troubled player comes to BB's house, stays clean, makes the team, plays hard, there is no better validation to other teams and NFL media that says 'I'm no longer the troublemaker I was, I'm a new man and player'. Then he can go sign a new lucrative contract somewhere worth millions.

If the Patriots pick this guy up, help him turn it around, and get his usual play on the field? This could be the biggest steal of the BB era. When this guy is playing he is a beast. He definitely changes the potency of your defense. And when you look at our LB group now then add this guy (staying out of trouble of course)?? The Patriots LB group should rightfully be called the widowmakers because they are going to cause a lot of pain. Than add that potent Brady offense along with top tier STs?? Look out Rog, you just might find yourself on the stage after the SB unable to speak due to being drowned out on national TV by a chorus of boos from thousands of exuberant celebrating Patriot fans. :):)

IMHO this season nothing is more important than making the team scary good - even if it means taking on a troublemaker (with a no risk contract of course). And if Smith is looking to show he is no longer this troubled man and hungry to show it with that low risk one year contract, sign him now (even if it is for only half a season). IMHO winning the SB is the kind of validation that Brady, Kraft, BB, the whole team that a court can't give you. Best of all it will make scumbag Goodell (and a long list of scumbag underlings in the NFL office, in Indy etc) friggin choke on it.

The Patriots are not the reform school of the NFL.

What they provide is a largely distraction-free environment. But they expect that the "problem child" players they sign are already committed to working hard and changing their ways. They have zero f—ks to give for slackers.

What's even crazier is the fact that he probably wasn't too far off from seeing a life changing mega-million dollar payday, had he simply had one more semi productive season.

One would think that when you're staring down 20-30+ million dollars of guaranteed money in the face, you'd probably chill out a bit and "only" drink a few times a week when you knew that you could. As @Tunescribe points out, he's showing signs of having serious substance abuse/mental health issues.

If your an alcoholic that's not how it works. One is to many, and a thousand never enough. You can control not having that first drink but you have no control after that.

I'm fond of reclamation projects so sure!

I was really hoping that this thread wouldn't pop up. I'd like to think we are a bit more sophisticated for a lot of reasons.

1. Coming off a 9 game suspension last season it's hard to believe he's going to play in 2015.

2. This kid REALLY needs to get some place and get his act together, especially if the DUI part of his crimes can be proven. Even if he were allowed, it would be in his best long term interests to stay away from football this season.

BTW- I'd be OK with a thread on NEXT season's board that read, "should the Pats take a look at Aldon Smith." ;)

I was really hoping that this thread wouldn't pop up. I'd like to think we are a bit more sophisticated for a lot of reasons.

1. Coming off a 9 game suspension last season it's hard to believe he's going to play in 2015.

2. This kid REALLY needs to get some place and get his act together, especially if the DUI part of his crimes can be proven. Even if he were allowed, it would be in his best long term interests to stay away from football this season.

BTW- I'd be OK with a thread on NEXT season's board that read, "should the Pats take a look at Aldon Smith." ;)

Well I am definitely not sophisticated. I don't know which fork is the salad fork at a fancy restaurant, I will not drink wine with my pinkie finger held out and I won't sit around my house wearing a robe with the first letter of my last name printed on it. Oh, and up until I participated in a thread labeled "it's could have , not could of" I could have been potentially labeled as grammatically deficient. :)

But I will always root for a guy to get his act together and we have seen that happen plenty of times. Hell, I root for people I don't even know to get their act together.

I asked at the beginning of this thread if this was a situation similar to Talib. Given Talib's track record prior to coming to the Pats I thought it was a fair comparison. Talib, in my opinion, is a success story. He played extremely well for the Pats (albeit he was injured at the most inopportune times) and continues to play well for the Broncos.

Smith is young guy with a drinking problem. Some make it and some do not. Do you sign him and hope for the best. He has the potential to be one of the most dominate players in the league. Wouldn't it be a great story if two years from now we learned that he got himself straightened out? Wouldn't it be a better story if he was playing for the Pats?

It's a legitimate question but I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Patriots don't sign people who don't make football their #1 priority.

Better chance we sign Ray Rice, imo.

I don't think Albert Haynesworth fell into that category. They signed him to a risk free contract because he had huge potential.

If your an alcoholic that's not how it works. One is to many, and a thousand never enough. You can control not having that first drink but you have no control after that.

Yes, solid point for sure. I can definitely relate to alcoholism/substance abuse, but I'm not as sure that I'd have felt the same way with that much money on the line.

Of course, there were times where I still smoked weed knowing that I'd be risking a probation violation and a possible trip to the county jail (15-20 years ago), so that probably qualifies as being "insane" enough to prove your point.

Last edited:

Personally, I'd have to think that the odds of signing Rice would be significantly better, but I've often wondered if we were "that" team which reported to show interest. I believe the rumor was that upper management/ownership did not think that it was a good idea, but who knows?

Well I am definitely not sophisticated. I don't know which fork is the salad fork at a fancy restaurant, I will not drink wine with my pinkie finger held out and I won't sit around my house wearing a robe with the first letter of my last name printed on it.

If I wore a robe, I'd purposely let the fruit basket hang out just to piss the neighbors off when I got the morning paper. It wouldn't really serve much of a purpose.

On a serious note--do people under 40 still wear robes? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm thinking that it may be a more distinguished man's game--robe wearing.

Course they should at least consider it. Guy has a drinking issue not a wife beater like Ray Rice or a murderer like Ray Lewis. The Patriots have a strong veteran core that could help someone like Smith if he was brought in. Guys a heck of a football player, if he can get his situation turned around for good why not take a look at him?

Course they should at least consider it. Guy has a drinking issue not a wife beater like Ray Rice or a murderer like Ray Lewis. The Patriots have a strong veteran core that could help someone like Smith if he was brought in. Guys a heck of a football player, if he can get his situation turned around for good why not take a look at him?

Unless we're lumping everything together (some of these certainly go with drinking), I think it's lots more than "just" an alcohol problem, slash--although I agree that every player should at least be given consideration. Here are some of Smith's non-drinking issues:

1) Suffered stab wounds at a residence where two people were shot. Charged with illegal possession of an assault weapon

2) Hit and run + leaving the scene of an accident

3) Claimed to have a bomb during an altercation with TSA workers at LAX airport. Obviously uncooperative with police and airport security

4) Possession of marijuana

5) Vandalism

-------------

And then, as you mention: THREE DUI's, at least one known rehab stay, and a suspension which lasted for the majority of the season.

The third DUI alone calls for jail time, as it should. Smith will almost certainly be out of football until 2016 at the earliest, but I'd have them look into giving him another chance once he's out of this mess.

Last edited:
Yes he will be. His last suspension was for 9 games. I am not sure how Roger will handle this incident but my gut tells me that he would likely receive a lighter punishment if he signed with the Cowboys than he would if signed with the Pats.

But if we put that aside, isn't this similar to a Talib signing? Which, in my opinion, turned out decent.

He was suspended 9 games the last time, but considering his name is not Tom Brady, and he was never accused of probably deflating balls, his suspension will be reduced to 2 games.

Jokes aside, he's a monster, both on the field and off it apparently. My opinion the best pass rusher in football not named JJ Watt, but he's too much of a headache.

No, Gary.

No. In fact, no team should. His problem goes far beyond a player just being stupid. He has a real problem and needs a real support system around him that cares more about him than his prowess on the field.

If the Pats signed him and he screwed up it would be "more probable than not" that the NFL Shield would be compromised, and the swift sword of justice would ensue. They will get that "ratbaztard" BB one way or another....

If most other team in the NFL signed him and he screwed up, he would more closely be monitored in their drug program..

If the Jets signed him we would be told that he has a "mental illness", suffered from childhood deprivation and they would vow to give him the support he needs.. everyone would get a pat o the back, "atta boy" ain't the Jets wonderful.

If Baltimore or Cincinnati signed him he could automatically become enrolled in their weekly group therapy sessions with their assigned probation officer.. and redemption would ensue. Goodell would ascend his lofty perch and heap praise on the Bengals and Ravens, as they are models for the NFL..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back