PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CSSNE: Should Patriots take a chance and sign Aldon Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, my daughter was in a crash with a speeding, under-the-influence motorcycle driver. The impact of the bike was a few inches in front of the passenger's door (and thus a few inches from a tragedy for my family). Luckily, this time we were lucky. A Smith can stay away from NE and off of your streets. Everyone would be better off.

Why on earth should the team even consider it at this point? He'll be out for the year anyway. Sure, take a look at him in a year and see if he has actually made the change that he needs to. If he has then bring him in and see what he got. But that needs to be a real change. Not the good ol' "I'm a new man" says player after reading note from his agent.

As soon as the pats sign him Godell will suspend him for the year.

If the Jets signed him we would be told that he has a "mental illness", suffered from childhood deprivation and they would vow to give him the support he needs.. everyone would get a pat o the back, "atta boy" ain't the Jets wonderful.

If he has a mental illness he would fit right in with the jets.

Yes, solid point for sure. I can definitely relate to alcoholism/substance abuse, but I'm not as sure that I'd have felt the same way with that much money on the line.

Of course, there were times where I still smoked weed knowing that I'd be risking a probation violation and a possible trip to the county jail (15-20 years ago), so that probably qualifies as being "insane" enough to prove your point.
Been there and right around that time frame. Nowadays 2 puffs and I'd be junk for 2 days. I feel bad for the kid, but he's no help to anyone before he helps himself. Sports are littered with guys like him. Darryl Strawberry, Josh Hamilton, Mark Howe, LT, Celtic and local kid Chris Herron. Another Celtic, Vin Baker also comes to mind These guys aren't out to hurt other people, they're just self-destructive.

I reap no joy in any player from a local team I love to a hated rival that wastes some of the extreme god-given talent they were blessed with because they've been cursed with addiction. It's sad, really.

Sign him and Ray Rice.......If the Pats are going to be bashed anyway, why not?

Unless we're lumping everything together (some of these certainly go with drinking), I think it's lots more than "just" an alcohol problem, slash--although I agree that every player should at least be given consideration. Here are some of Smith's non-drinking issues:

1) Suffered stab wounds at a residence where two people were shot. Charged with illegal possession of an assault weapon

2) Hit and run + leaving the scene of an accident

3) Claimed to have a bomb during an altercation with TSA workers at LAX airport. Obviously uncooperative with police and airport security

4) Possession of marijuana

5) Vandalism

-------------

And then, as you mention: THREE DUI's, at least one known rehab stay, and a suspension which lasted for the majority of the season.

The third DUI alone calls for jail time, as it should. Smith will almost certainly be out of football until 2016 at the earliest, but I'd have them look into giving him another chance once he's out of this mess.

Ill admit that is a long list of issues, still think if he can somehow turn his life around and is on a clear path of moving beyond all of the BS Id have no issue with the team bringing him in and seeing how things go.

No. In fact, no team should. His problem goes far beyond a player just being stupid. He has a real problem and needs a real support system around him that cares more about him than his prowess on the field.
BB cares. ;)

I agree that BB has no use for someone if he's not sure they're even going to be on the field
Yep. I don't think hes playing for a while.

Aldon Smith needs to get his addiction and behavior issues resolved.

Jones, Ninkovich, and Sheard. I don't see why the Patriots would do something like this when they have solid pass rushers already.

Let Dallas have him. Nothing more I'd love than to see Jerry "Rog is doing great!" Jones watch his locker room come apart at the seams again.

Jones could easily walk in 2 years, Ninkovich is getting old, and even if Sheard works out, he's just one DE.

Jones could easily walk in 2 years, Ninkovich is getting old, and even if Sheard works out, he's just one DE.
I don't think anyone would disagree with your assessment of the DE situation.

The question is if Aldon Smith can get his life together and play a 16 game season.

not too concerned with replacing jones.........there are 4-3 DE's around

If Smith is truly willing to go to rehab and get better...sure, get him in here.
Stick it to the league.

I don't think anyone would disagree with your assessment of the DE situation.

The question is if Aldon Smith can get his life together and play a 16 game season.

That, I doubt.

Asking this of the team that dropped Brandon Spikes for 1/100th the issues Smith now faces seems a bit of a long shot, eh?

Has Spikes caught on with anyone yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back