PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant requires second foot surgery--impact Edelman return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would honestly consider rolling the dice and keeping him sidelined until a potential Super Bowl. Thats 3 more weeks of rest, 12 in total. 3 whole months in other words. He can come back and be like Percy Harvin in 48 or TO in 39.

I would honestly consider rolling the dice and keeping him sidelined until a potential Super Bowl. Thats 3 more weeks of rest, 12 in total. 3 whole months in other words. He can come back and be like Percy Harvin in 48 or TO in 39.

I'm not sure that we could get there without having Edelman produce in the postseason, though.

There's just nothing to suggest that someone else is going to step up in his place (LaFell, Chandler, and running game have all been practically invisible).

The thread title may be hinting at inside information: Dez Bryant will be using Julian Edelman's amputated foot for a full recovery. So yes, this will have a marginal impact on Edelman's performance. Don't expect 10+ catches per game from a man with one foot.

Someone could step on his foot again in a game, which is how it happened in the first place. There is always a risk of you come back too early.
This is what I am concerned about. Not so much him reinjuring himself. Because that risk is always there. But it's the percentages that bother me. More playing, more chances of injury. And I understand the "Players shouldn't be coddled" angle, But players are dropping like flies. We just can't afford to lose Edes before the playoffs. He's just that important. I'd rather get as much out of him in a playoff game than a less meaningful game. If that makes any sense.

I am hoping that he doesn't play. Amendola may be able to go in and get it done for 2 quarters or so, but all accounts have Edelman's recovery time anywhere between 6-12 weeks. By allowing him to heal for 2 more weeks, he'd be right in the middle at the 9 week point for the divisional round game.

I'm wondering if there's not some gray area to the "if he can play, he should play" theory, that even the doctors aren't 100 percent sure of? After all, one can assume that a guy like Dez Bryant received the green light for coming back after 7 weeks (where Edelman is currently), and he has been battling that injury all season long. With the bye secured, I'd be tempted to see if Amendola could go for some limited snaps, while giving #11 the extra caution and time to heal.

Luckily, none of our opinions matter to Bill (I'd have been fired a long time ago), as he will do what's best for the team.

Well Sup that is pretty disappointing to hear from you. I have always thought BB reads the board and takes all of our opinions to heart :)

I agree with where you are going with this. It is a fine line. IMHO players who can play should play as a general rule unless the game has no meaning (if we would have won last week). I think it is the right mentality for a team. And this game in Miami matters (if we find ourselves struggling in the POs, the difference between home and away could be the difference between SB and done).

On the other hand Jules and others are a BFD to have available and functional in the POs. Maybe it isn't worth the risk even if it means we lose to miami. It just is not worth it to subject them to a potential higher than normal chance of injury. Then there is the question of medical certainty. Some would argue medical certainty is a contradiction in terms. How reliable is the medical staff's word even after watching Jules practice for two weeks?? It is a fair question.

Bryant, IMHO, is not a great comparison. I get the comparison from a pure injury type standpoint. From there the comparison tails off a bit for me. I see the cowboys as apt to let bryant make his own call on return or be overly swayed by public comments and fan sentiment. Which is not to say BB is a saint, he isn't, however, I believe a much more rigid process will be adhered to with BB versus much more of a free for all with the Cowboys (again that is my impression of the Cowboys).

Well Sup that is pretty disappointing to hear from you. I have always thought BB reads the board and takes all of our opinions to heart :)

I agree with where you are going with this. It is a fine line. IMHO players who can play should play as a general rule unless the game has no meaning (if we would have won last week). I think it is the right mentality for a team. And this game in Miami matters (if we find ourselves struggling in the POs, the difference between home and away could be the difference between SB and done).

On the other hand Jules and others are a BFD to have available and functional in the POs. Maybe it isn't worth the risk even if it means we lose to miami. It just is not worth it to subject them to a potential higher than normal chance of injury. Then there is the question of medical certainty. Some would argue medical certainty is a contradiction in terms. How reliable is the medical staff's word even after watching Jules practice for two weeks?? It is a fair question.

Bryant, IMHO, is not a great comparison. I get the comparison from a pure injury type standpoint. From there the comparison tails off a bit for me. I see the cowboys as apt to let bryant make his own call on return or be overly swayed by public comments and fan sentiment. Which is not to say BB is a saint, he isn't, however, I believe a much more rigid process will be adhered to with BB versus much more of a free for all with the Cowboys (again that is my impression of the Cowboys).

Funny that you mention that, because we honestly have no idea as to what the similarities/differences are with the Dez Bryant situation. The only reason anyone is comparing them is due to the 5th metatarsal being broken, and the potential for a rough timeline matching up. After that, the specifics could be night and day different for all we know.

This really isn't rocket science. The guy makes some of the hardest and most aggressive cuts in the league and a broken foot is notoriously hard for any wideout to come back from. If the doctors and team feel that he could use the rest, then rest him. For all intents and purposes, this game really is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Look how the offense has performed without him. A more healthy Edelman > the risk that comes along with playing him to try to lock up the one seed against a team that has mailed it in. Hell, the Patriots should be able to take out the Dolphins even without him in the line-up.

Bryant returned in 6 weeks
Divisonal game would be 9 weeks for Edelman

That's a 50% increase over Bryant in rehab/recovery.

Also as for him being rusty, he'll have been practicing for a month. Not like divisional week will be his first week back from surgery.

Once Edelman is not at risk of reinjury, play him. If he's at risk of reinjury, don't play him.

The problem with this is determining that point. As Kontra says, this isn't rocket science; in fact, there's probably less predictive science to this than we'd all like. XRays will only give an indication. Conversations between doctors and patients are pretty tricky.

I wish we hadn't gotten rid of hankerson. Instead we bring back Chris Harper whose useless.

The problem with this is determining that point. As Kontra says, this isn't rocket science; in fact, there's probably less predictive science to this than we'd all like. XRays will only give an indication. Conversations between doctors and patients are pretty tricky.

That's a good point, but I think it's the case where we don't really have to have that conversation--provided that there's significant doubt in the equation--until the playoffs. Basically, if you can't confidently state that the risk for reinjury is no longer elevated, then I'm strongly against playing him this weekend. Give him 2 more weeks and see where he is then.

I wish we hadn't gotten rid of hankerson. Instead we bring back Chris Harper whose useless.

If they brought back Harper, it means that Hankerson wasn't absorbing the play book.

Bryant came back in like six weeks. It is going to be 8-9 weeks by the division round of the playoffs. Two totally different situations. Bryant rushed back too fast. Edelman likely will not play until January 16th or 17th and he had surgery on November 16th. Bryant had his surgery on September 15th and returned to play on November 1st.

Dr chao said this doesn't affect edelman at all...80 percent of the time the fracture heals on its own fully, sonetimes it doesnt which is tje reason for second surgery.

Funny that you mention that, because we honestly have no idea as to what the similarities/differences are with the Dez Bryant situation. The only reason anyone is comparing them is due to the 5th metatarsal being broken, and the potential for a rough timeline matching up. After that, the specifics could be night and day different for all we know.
Do we really even know for sure that it's the same bone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point, but I think it's the case where we don't really have to have that conversation--provided that there's significant doubt in the equation--until the playoffs. Basically, if you can't confidently state that the risk for reinjury is no longer elevated, then I'm strongly against playing him this weekend. Give him 2 more weeks and see where he is then.
This game is essentially a playoff game.

Bryant returned in 6 weeks
Divisonal game would be 9 weeks for Edelman

That's a 50% increase over Bryant in rehab/recovery.

Also as for him being rusty, he'll have been practicing for a month. Not like divisional week will be his first week back from surgery.
Practice and game are night and day. I want Edelman to prepare for helping us in 3 games to glory 5. The best way to do that is to get in a game and get prepared to play.

Practice and game are night and day. I want Edelman to prepare for helping us in 3 games to glory 5. The best way to do that is to get in a game and get prepared to play.

Edelman went almost a month in between games last season and was fine.

Played 12/14 against miami and then didn't play a game again until 1/10 against baltimore.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
This game is essentially a playoff game.

Not it's not. Pats have a bye and divisional home game set in stone right now. Even at the #2 seed there is a possibility that they could still host the AFCC

So play Edelman and Amendola and they re-aggravate injuries and now you are possibly playing that divisional game without those two or them less healthy than they would have been

or

Don't play either because 3 weeks ago you came up with a basic game plan without either of them to beat a team that has one of the best defenses in the league in their building and was fighting for a playoff spot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday