PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant requires second foot surgery--impact Edelman return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weeks game is part of playing for a Championship.
Being home for the AFCCG could very well be the difference between winning and losing.
On top of this Edelman will be better in the Divisional round if he prepares, starts and plays a lot reps in this game than if he sits until then. Of course this assumes he is ready to play, which we are guessing about.

Edelman, and the team's chances for a championship, are better if he can stay on the field for a playoff run.

He has to get as healthy as possible, and two more weeks of rest for a broken foot sounds better than playing in a game that could mean literally nothing, even if we do lose. If we lose and lose HFA throughout, Denver could get bounced first round. Too risky.

I think rolling out the same team that lost in OT to the Jets is more than enough to beat a Dolphins team that is seemingly "on to 2016".

Heck, I'd be confident even if they sat Gronk & Hightower, in addition to holding out the same players from last week. :D

I think it's a no brainer........we need him to be as healthy as possible come playoff time. He is too important for us to take a chance of him getting injured this week. If we can't beat Miami, we don't deserve the number 1 seed. Let's get our players as healthy as possible and get ready to defend our title!!!!!

Edelman, and the team's chances for a championship, are better if he can stay on the field for a playoff run.

He has to get as healthy as possible, and two more weeks of rest for a broken foot sounds better than playing in a game that could mean literally nothing, even if we do lose. If we lose and lose HFA throughout, Denver could get bounced first round. Too risky.
I disagree. I want him to be ready to play. I do not think walking on the field after close to 3 months off is going to give us a shell of what he is.
I mean its the NFL, you cannot coddle players to save them for the latest day you can wait just out of a fear of injury so you end up with a team in the divisional round full of guys who are out of football shape.
I would rather have Edelman fully ready to play at the risk of being injured over a guy getting on the field for the first time in one of the 3 biggest games of the year. By the way, this week is the 4th biggest.

So you think HFA advantage not mattering is more likely than Edelman being ready to play but getting reinjured? I do not. The odds of being home as the 2 seed in the AFCCG are less than 50/50. I seriously doubt a football player like Julian Edelman actually playing football gives him less than a 50/50 chance of playing again in 2 weeks.
I mean if that's the case why not sit Brady starting Nov 1. We would still make the playoffs and he would have no chance of getting hurt.

Yep, let Edelman get as healthy as possible unless the doctors absolutely clear him and he wants the reps in the Dolphins game. Otherwise, this game and homefield is not nearly as important as his health throughout the postseason.

1. e6cf4d9f987191a7370c902f68ad95dc_bigger.jpeg
    David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 3m3 minutes ago
  2. .@DezBryant did not refracture (like Romo). Jones fracture likely just did not fully heal. Full healing takes multiple months.11:42 AM - 30 Dec 2015 · Details

1. David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 5m5 minutes ago
    David J. Chao, MD Retweeted mike fisher ✭

Jones fractures are problem fractures. Don't always heal despite good surgery. 20% re-surgery rate is known.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
If he's practicing already, how much harder is a game going to be than practice on the body part that is hurt?

Actually, since he's likely to block much more intensely in a game than in a pad-free practice, it could be quite a bit harder. Blech. I don't have a firm opinion on this one.

the thing to keep in mind is jules is a ****ing warrior.

unless there is a risk of career ending injury, hes going to be on the field, and he'll play through some pain. Jules wants another ring only slight less badly then brady.

If he's practicing already, how much harder is a game going to be than practice on the body part that is hurt?

Actually, since he's likely to block much more intensely in a game than in a pad-free practice, it could be quite a bit harder. Blech. I don't have a firm opinion on this one.

Someone could step on his foot again in a game, which is how it happened in the first place. There is always a risk of you come back too early.

Last edited:
The question here is what is more important, getting him some game action or risking Jules' career? It's tough one. I think we beat Miami regardless of whether he plays.

The question here is what is more important, getting him some game action or risking Jules' career? It's tough one. I think we beat Miami regardless of whether he plays.

You think dez bryant's career will be over now?

I disagree. I want him to be ready to play. I do not think walking on the field after close to 3 months off is going to give us a shell of what he is.
I mean its the NFL, you cannot coddle players to save them for the latest day you can wait just out of a fear of injury so you end up with a team in the divisional round full of guys who are out of football shape.
I would rather have Edelman fully ready to play at the risk of being injured over a guy getting on the field for the first time in one of the 3 biggest games of the year. By the way, this week is the 4th biggest.

So you think HFA advantage not mattering is more likely than Edelman being ready to play but getting reinjured? I do not. The odds of being home as the 2 seed in the AFCCG are less than 50/50. I seriously doubt a football player like Julian Edelman actually playing football gives him less than a 50/50 chance of playing again in 2 weeks.
I mean if that's the case why not sit Brady starting Nov 1. We would still make the playoffs and he would have no chance of getting hurt.
Now that last bit is just silly. It's all about taking circumstances into account. No, we don't know exactly what the status is with Edelman's foot, but we do pretty much know is that more rest will be helpful, and if he reinjures it the Pats' chances take a major hit.

You think dez bryant's career will be over now?

I don't know. It seems like the more surgeries you have on a jones fracture the more likely it is that it will re-break. Why make him go through a second surgery?

I'll never forget the SB, Edelman getting crunched from both sides, then laughing maniacally at the Seahawks defenders, screaming "I love to get hit."

He'll be ready.

Risk of rapid return re-injury makes me assess
Value of having healthy close to full tilt Squirrel in playoffs > probability of losing to Phins w/o him

I lean on bringing Edelman for the playoffs. Had he gotten the same injury 2 weeks later I would say shut him down for the year.

Now that last bit is just silly. It's all about taking circumstances into account. No, we don't know exactly what the status is with Edelman's foot, but we do pretty much know is that more rest will be helpful, and if he reinjures it the Pats' chances take a major hit.
No its an exaggeration to make a point. The idea that football players cant play football because they could get hurt, so we have to save them for as along as possible is silly.
I do not believe Edelman is any more likely to get hurt in this game than any other player who plays, assuming, as I said he is ready to play.
I understand that injuries are frustrating, but the idea that playing isn't important or that Edelman be as ready for a playoff game by sitting as he would be by playing makes no sense to me.

I would prefer to have an EFFECTIVE Edelman, not just a healthy one who isn't ready to play at his level of play, and I am fine taking the risk that getting a football player ready to play football could cause him to get injured.

There really is not a right or wrong, but I come down in favor of getting players ready to play instead of keeping them inactive to protect them from football.

Idk how effective edelman will be when he comes back. I'm not gonna act like I do. We will see when the time comes.

Risk of rapid return re-injury makes me assess
Value of having healthy close to full tilt Squirrel in playoffs > probability of losing to Phins w/o him
But he will be a better Edelman in the playoffs if he gets back in the flow and in football shape.
To me it isn't a decision of whether he is needed to beat the Dolphins. I think in the NFL its any given sunday so everyone is needed against everyone.
To me its a matter of what do I do with Edelman that will make him most productive on January 17th. I feel playing him, probably around 50% of the snaps is the best way to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes