PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant requires second foot surgery--impact Edelman return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN 49m49 minutes ago

How compromised was Dez Bryant? Team had to take certain routes out of game plan because he wasn't effective planting and cutting.
Moore is a beat writer in Dallas

Now that last bit is just silly. It's all about taking circumstances into account. No, we don't know exactly what the status is with Edelman's foot, but we do pretty much know is that more rest will be helpful, and if he reinjures it the Pats' chances take a major hit.

If he re-injures it, the Pats chances are over.

Someone could step on his foot again in a game, which is how it happened in the first place. There is always a risk of you come back too early.

I think if you are the Patriots (current SB champ), you have to take it as a given that ONE out of the 20 some defenders who see the field in any given game will intentionally "TEST" an injured player (by say stepping on his jones foot).

If you arent confident with that level of contact, he shouldnt be out there.

Sit edeldude, return strong-hard.

Idk how effective edelman will be when he comes back. I'm not gonna act like I do. We will see when the time comes.
Yep. I feel this way about a bunch of players: (Hightower (knee), Nink (leg), Freeny (hand), Chung (foot), McCourty (foot), LaFell (foot), Amendola, (knee), Coleman (concussion, hand), Vollmer (ankle), Kline (shoulder), Chandler (knee), Jones (abdomen). And these are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. Impossible to know how healthy any of these guys will be in a couple of weeks.

Moore is a beat writer in Dallas

So are they saying that if Bryant had more healing time it would have been better? If so, more reason to sit JE until playoffs, a couple more weeks will make it 2 months to allow fracture to heal.

So are they saying that if Bryant had more healing time it would have been better? If so, more reason to sit JE until playoffs, a couple more weeks will make it 2 months to allow fracture to heal.
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 6m6 minutes ago

Even with @DezBryant news, @Patriots fans should relax. @Edelman11 foot was never going to be 100% for playoffs, only healed enough to play.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 2h2 hours ago

If @dallascowboys were to wait for complete healing on @DezBryant foot, would not have played until 2016 season. #KnownRisk

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 30s30 seconds ago

WR Julian Edelman remains a limited participant in practice. He's one of 10 Patriots who were limited on Wednesday.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 6m6 minutes ago

Even with @DezBryant news, @Patriots fans should relax. @Edelman11 foot was never going to be 100% for playoffs, only healed enough to play.
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 2h2 hours ago

If @dallascowboys were to wait for complete healing on @DezBryant foot, would not have played until 2016 season. #KnownRisk

Thanks, that's what I suspected. It's hard to imagine a foot fracture could heal in 6 weeks for of all people a WR. Oh well, JE is a ****ing bad ass warrior, he will definately play in the playoffs. He shouldn't even travel down to Miami.

Here is the question we don't seem to be asking. Will the extra 2 weeks make any difference to his overall health?

If I were 100% sure the extra 2 weeks would make a big difference, then, of course, I would sit Edelman against the Dolphins. But the fact is that we don't know if it will. Also remember that Edelman has been practicing for almost 3 weeks now. We've seen him running full speed cuts (or close to full speed) a couple of weeks ago. He has already put a lot of torque and pressure on the injury over the last few weeks. How much more would 15-20 reps in the Miami game put on them. Sure he'd be a risk of injury just like every other player, but not the specific injury itself.

If the 20% re-break stats are true, then it really doesn't matter if he plays Sunday or two weeks later. If it's going to break it will break either way.

Bottom line - If he's ready to play, then play him for a half. He's been out for a long time now, and he really needs reps to get back close to full productivity. Getting some playing time will help. OTOH, I'd take the opposite tack on guys like Amendola and Hightower. Missing this game isn't going to affect their productivity short term, so I'd be good with sitting them for this game

@patfanken makes a good point. An extra 2 weeks won't make or break (no pun intended) Edelman as far as reinjuring it. This is an injury that requires a few months to heal if not longer.

No its an exaggeration to make a point. The idea that football players cant play football because they could get hurt, so we have to save them for as along as possible is silly.
I do not believe Edelman is any more likely to get hurt in this game than any other player who plays, assuming, as I said he is ready to play.
I understand that injuries are frustrating, but the idea that playing isn't important or that Edelman be as ready for a playoff game by sitting as he would be by playing makes no sense to me.

I would prefer to have an EFFECTIVE Edelman, not just a healthy one who isn't ready to play at his level of play, and I am fine taking the risk that getting a football player ready to play football could cause him to get injured.

There really is not a right or wrong, but I come down in favor of getting players ready to play instead of keeping them inactive to protect them from football.
It's a ridiculous exaggeration. You're saying if the decision is made to give a guy who broke his foot more rest than why not sit Tom Brady in November. That doesn't help to illuminate anything, it's just nonsense words.

You say you don't believe Edelman isn't any more likely to get hurt than any other player. I would say we don't know for sure, but if we had to guess that sounds wrong.

Here is the question we don't seem to be asking. Will the extra 2 weeks make any difference to his overall health?

If I were 100% sure the extra 2 weeks would make a big difference, then, of course, I would sit Edelman against the Dolphins. But the fact is that we don't know if it will. Also remember that Edelman has been practicing for almost 3 weeks now. We've seen him running full speed cuts (or close to full speed) a couple of weeks ago. He has already put a lot of torque and pressure on the injury over the last few weeks. How much more would 15-20 reps in the Miami game put on them. Sure he'd be a risk of injury just like every other player, but not the specific injury itself.

If the 20% re-break stats are true, then it really doesn't matter if he plays Sunday or two weeks later. If it's going to break it will break either way.

Bottom line - If he's ready to play, then play him for a half. He's been out for a long time now, and he really needs reps to get back close to full productivity. Getting some playing time will help. OTOH, I'd take the opposite tack on guys like Amendola and Hightower. Missing this game isn't going to affect their productivity short term, so I'd be good with sitting them for this game

Unless there's already been a re-break, every day of "rest" is a day of improvement, until it maxes out at full healing. Risking it in an almost meaningless game doesn't make sense to me.

@patfanken makes a good point. An extra 2 weeks won't make or break (no pun intended) Edelman as far as reinjuring it. This is an injury that requires a few months to heal if not longer.

I think the bigger question is whether the greatest risk of a re-break comes via contact -- that's how it occurred initially, another player falling on his foot. In that case, preserving him for the playoffs would seem prudent if he isn't necessarily needed to help beat Miami.

Didnt Edelman have this same surgery in 2012, only to rebreak it in TC in 2013? Very few people in the world put as much stress on their feet as JE11. These factors combined with the condensed healing time are worrisome to say the least. But whay can you do? One thing is to take him off punt detail. Another is to minimize the routes where he has to cut hard on that foot

Didnt Edelman have this same surgery in 2012, only to rebreak it in TC in 2013? Very few people in the world put as much stress on their feet as JE11. These factors combined with the condensed healing time are worrisome to say the least. But whay can you do? One thing is to take him off punt detail. Another is to minimize the routes where he has to cut hard on that foot
I suspect these measures will indeed be taken. Right up until the last (real) offensive series.

Last edited:
Ugh. Just need Jules to get through 3 games tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes