PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant requires second foot surgery--impact Edelman return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question with two very different points of view. I fall more on the side of game speed is very different then practice speed and it takes reps to be effective. That said Jules is a monster part of this offense and him being healthy increases the odds of repeating dramatically. I would compromise and have him take 10-15 snaps thru out the game just to shake off a smidge of the rust. Catch 2-3 balls then pull him. No end arounds or any plays that open him up to more then normal abuse. Do the same sort of thing with ALL the walking wounded and if we lose to the fins so be it but do your best to win while preserving the long term health that is crucial to repeating. I do think HFA is more important this year as the refs tend to be at least semi influenced by the crowd and the way calls have been going this year I want nothing to do with another Denver ish fiasco. Of course I trust Bill with 1000 times the information I have to make the right call so I am taking a wait and see approach

Unfortunatelly I had an eye in the Colts x Miami game last week and it was pathetic, the Pats can win this game without Edelman, 2 extra weeks is a LOT in terms of recovery, even if he's rust in the divisional round.

I think this way, he could have gone to IR, the fact that he can come back is already fantastic, 50% jules is better than what we have left in the depth chart so lets take it and accept whatever he can deliver in the field.

Not it's not. Pats have a bye and divisional home game set in stone right now. Even at the #2 seed there is a possibility that they could still host the AFCC

So play Edelman and Amendola and they re-aggravate injuries and now you are possibly playing that divisional game without those two or them less healthy than they would have been

or

Don't play either because 3 weeks ago you came up with a basic game plan without either of them to beat a team that has one of the best defenses in the league in their building and was fighting for a playoff spot
You act as if playing them is injuring them. They are football players. Football players get injured. The chance of getting injured is not a reason to not play a football player. The aggravation of an injury for a player who is not ready to play is a reason to sit a player.
Getting a football player who hasn't played football in 2 months ready for a huge game is.

And yes, this is essentially a playoff game, because HFA will probably make the difference in winning or losing that game.

Winning this game is very important, winning the next one even more important. I think that playing Edelman makes both more likely.

Unfortunatelly I had an eye in the Colts x Miami game last week and it was pathetic, the Pats can win this game without Edelman, 2 extra weeks is a LOT in terms of recovery, even if he's rust in the divisional round.

I think this way, he could have gone to IR, the fact that he can come back is already fantastic, 50% jules is better than what we have left in the depth chart so lets take it and accept whatever he can deliver in the field.
But playing Edelman this week improves the chances of winning in the playoffs.
Throwing him out there without playing in a month isn't going to give you the player you want to make sure you have, it will give you a shell of that player. Even if he plays this week, he may still need the divisional round just to get in sync so he can be fully effective in the AFCCG.

Edelman went almost a month in between games last season and was fine.

Played 12/14 against miami and then didn't play a game again until 1/10 against baltimore.
Not the same as missing 2 months.

Which is why I said "essentially' because its a go on the road and be an underdog in the AFCCG game.

I think it would be a big dissapointment if our team's not at least in the afc championship game. I worry about a matchup with the jests. They play us tough. I want texans or chiefs a lthough the chiefs have a tough defense.

They need to win this game. Anyone thinking otherwise I will assume missed the way the team has been playing. They need all the help they can get. Nobody is going to be healthy for the rest of the year. Its about serviceability.

He had a combination of Matt Cassel, Brandon Weedon, and QB X throwing to him all season. Did the injury have an effect? Sure maybe. But that's not the only reason.

Bryant being far less than 100% is a big part of why the QBs struggled. People blamed the QB play for the problems, but the QBs were screwed from moment #1.

Romo beat the Giants (With healthy Bryant), Eagles and Dolphins.
Cassel beat the Redskins.

In other words, while Romo is being heralded as the savior, Cassel had the team's best win, and the team's offense sucked all year long, regardless of the QB.

This game is essentially a playoff game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really. Pats still have a bye either way. Even if they lose this week, the only way it matters is if Denver makes it to the AFCCG.

It's a game to be taken seriously, for sure, but making sure Edelman is as healthy as he can be for the postseason is far more important than whatever improvement your odds of beating the dolphins see. If Edelman reinjures his foot, our chances of repeating are pretty much nil.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
They need to win this game. Anyone thinking otherwise I will assume missed the way the team has been playing. They need all the help they can get. Nobody is going to be healthy for the rest of the year. Its about serviceability.

They don't need anything from this game but health a/k/a avoiding more injuries.

It would be nice to see him on the field against Miami and take a few snaps/shake the rust off but that's about it. No need to risk any setbacks by rushing him back before the playoffs, since that's when we really need him.

Assuming that he is practicing and testing the foot during the week, he could also have a setback injury during a practice/drill so thats a concern as well.

They don't need anything from this game but health a/k/a avoiding more injuries.

Yup. An injury would be costly at this point. Lolphins have some dirty players. I
hope we get off to a fast start.

They need health every game except after the last game of the year,

Last edited:
Bryant returned in 6 weeks
Divisonal game would be 9 weeks for Edelman

That's a 50% increase over Bryant in rehab/recovery.

Also as for him being rusty, he'll have been practicing for a month. Not like divisional week will be his first week back from surgery.

Bryant actually returned in 7 weeks. He became injured in week #1 (9/13), and returned in week #8 (11/01).

Dez Bryant NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Good point about Edelman's light practicing and his excellent chemistry with Brady. I don't think it would be an issue if he sat and gained another 2 weeks of rest. I don't think we should be too concerned with the rust factor in this instance.

Last edited:
I wish we hadn't gotten rid of hankerson. Instead we bring back Chris Harper whose useless.

Harper's knowledge of the playbook puts him in a realistic position to actually contribute, should it come to that.

While Hankerson may/may not have better talent (he probably does), he had absolutely zero knowledge of our complex system. He was very unlikely to contribute anything this season, and I always viewed him as a guy who was being evaluated for a potential futures signing.

Harper's knowledge of the playbook puts him in a realistic position to actually contribute, should it come to that.

While Hankerson may/may not have better talent (he probably does), he had absolutely zero knowledge of our complex system. He was very unlikely to contribute anything this season, and I always viewed him as a guy who was being evaluated for a potential futures signing.

True but this team seriously needs some contribution from anyone not named gronk or maybe amendola. They need someone to stretch the field vertically.

They need someone to stretch the field vertically.

Everyone keeps saying this...there have been guys on the current roster (Gronk, LaFell, and Martin) WIDE OPEN by two steps or more in some cases and they've either been under, over, or wide thrown (even the past couple weeks).

Reasons? Mostly OL, some poor WR adjustments, but also some poor throws by TB.

This offense doesn't have a "deep threat" problem. Its issues run much...deeper (terrible pun) than that because of its predication on timing, adjustment, knowledge, and quickness and every one of the skill position stars that make it run as efficient as it did early in the season are injured or returning from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back