PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi headin' home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree this is still a bad loss. Yes Bruschi is not the player of 2001-2004. We all know that. he is still an above average linebacker who is a great leader and a "coach on the field" type. it is a big loss.

Save me the worn out "I think BB knows a lot more about football than you" line. No sh#t. If we followed that rule, however, this site would only have a handful of posts every days and you'd have to completely delete the draft forum. In MY opinion, Bruschi can't play at a high level anymore. I'm not talking about super slow motion film breakdown in a darkened room at 2 am trying to see where BB f*cked up. I just know what my eyes saw in 2003 and I know what they see now. How many times have you thought to yourself or said "Have you seen Bruschi make a single play today?" over the past 2 seasons.

The Belichick line was a response to your comment that Bruschi looked awful. If he truly is as bad as you perceived him to be, I bet he would get the axe. The line may be worn out, but you may want to check your logic circuits and make sure you are actually seeing what you think you are seeing given Belichick's immunity to fan nostalgia and willingness to lose dead weight. I'm all for a good debate (I for one was glad to see Samuel leave rather than getting a big payday because he gave up plenty of big plays to offset his value as a ball hawk and was therefore overrated), but "awful" implies failing at his assigned job, and I do not agree that I have seen that to any great extent specific to Bruschi this season or last.

Bruschi has 75 tackles this year and 92 last year on rotating duty. Tackles for linebackers don't just happen - you have to get to the play.

As stated, he is not the 2003 version of himself when he was a significant threat due to combined speed, strength and savvy. He is older, and older players will suffer a loss of physical abilities. You would have to be delusional to think otherwise. If by "making a single play" you are referring to single-handedly tackling and stripping the ball from a running back in a divisional playoff game, I would say no. I expect him to make tackles and not get bulldozed by a running back and hold the middle. He does not have to be omnipresent in that position.

I too would join those calling him decent or serviceable at this point in his career. Not a force expected to make game changing plays, but able to hold down his role in the defense and mentor Mayo as to how to make those plays. But decent/serviceable in that role is huge as 2005 proved the absence of a decent/serviceable linebacker in that position can be catastrophic, even if most of the other pieces are in place. With all the money put on Warren, Seymour, Thomas and Mayo, I do not expect most teams can ask for much more than that under a salary cap.

Last edited:
Was it ever confirmed Bruschi headed back to Mass.? I haven't seen anything else about it on the internet.

Yes. It has been on the local news and on local sports radio all day today.

Looks like according to the Herald he is headin to the IR, its a sprain, but its not a serious knee inj.. But that could have been the end of the Tedy Bruschi era in Foxboro and as a Pat

Last edited:
Looks like according to the Herald he is headin to the IR, its a sprain, but its not a serious knee inj.. But that could have been the end of the Tedy Bruschi era in Foxboro and as a Pat

Just to fill in the details...
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive Bruschi likely headed for IR

Bruschi likely headed for IR
Posted by Karen Guregian at 8:30 pm

SANTA CLARA - Injured linebacker Tedy Bruschi didn’t suffer a devastating knee injury Sunday in Seattle, according to a league source. In the big picture, it’s a minor deal. That’s the good news.

The bad?

Given his timetable for a return runs in the three-to-four-week window, as the source indicated, it’s likely the Patriots will place him on season-ending injured reserve. With the urgency of having to win out to make the playoffs, and needing healthy bodies, the Pats don’t have the luxury of waiting for Bruschi’s injury to heal.

Playing short-handed at inside linebacker really isn’t an option at this point, so it’s logical the Pats will make an attempt to find someone, as they did when they added both Junior Seau and Rosevelt Colvin last week, and then stick Bruschi on IR.

The veteran, who had been having some trouble with the same left knee recently, got it twisted pretty bad making a tackle during the second quarter. He was actually hit by his own teammate, defensive back Mike Richardson, on the play.

Bruschi left the team following Sunday’s game, flying home to Boston to have tests done.

It's sensible sure, but it's also pure conjecture.

Last edited:
[starts whistling past Chad Brown's Pats-tombstone, just in case]

Last edited:
So now what? Sanders to ILB and resign Troy Brown to play Safety?

This is going to be an interesting few weeks, no doubt about it.

At this point, if we MAKE the playoffs, BB better get coach of the year or there's gonna be a lynch mob...

Lynch_Mob_-_Wicked_Sensation-%255BFront%255D.jpg

Here is hoping Bru returns for the playoff run

and/or for next year

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive Bruschi likely headed for IR

Wasn't it lil' Jimmy Sanders (#36) who flew into Bruschi's knee? When I watched the game at the Bear's Den, I too thought it was Richardson (#35); but after watching the replays on NFLN on Demand, I now think that Sanders came in from his Safety position. No matter, at this point: another servicable LB is lost, Victor Hobson is unavailable (what the hell was he thinking, signing w/ the bungles?), and there's not much help on the horizon.

Scout.com: Best Available Free Agents-Defense-Week 14

Draft Daddy: Feature Articles

Besides the names on those lists - Matt Chatham seems to be the logical first choice - I would also inquire into the status of Liam Ezekial & Spencer Havner, my 2 late-round LB binkies from the '05 & '06 drafts, respectively. Does anyone else have somebody else in mind?

Tedy Bruschi impact - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

While the Patriots are staying in California for the week, linebacker Tedy Bruschi has returned home to Boston for further tests on his injured left knee.

Bruschi's left knee has been nagging him in recent weeks -- he's been limited in practices -- and the tipping point came when a teammate accidently fell on him with 14:04 remaining in the second quarter of Sunday's 24-21 win over the Seahawks. The blow knocked Bruschi out of the game.

The injury is not career-threatening, but it very well could end Bruschi's season because the Patriots -- with three weeks to chase a playoff berth -- might not have time to wait for him to recover.

What would the Patriots be missing without Bruschi?

First and foremost, a strong veteran presence. Bruschi has been a starter at the strongside inside linebacker spot in the team's 3-4 alignment, playing in 52 percent of the team's defensive snaps this season. He has mostly been a first- and second-down player, replaced in sub packages when the Patriots look to add more speed to the field in passing situations.

Entering Sunday's game against the Seahawks, coaches credited Bruschi with 69 tackles (36 solo), a total which ranked second on the team.

Bruschi's top backup for much of the season has been rookie Gary Guyton. Another option at the position would be veteran Junior Seau.

Save me the worn out "I think BB knows a lot more about football than you" line. No sh#t. If we followed that rule, however, this site would only have a handful of posts every days and you'd have to completely delete the draft forum. In MY opinion, Bruschi can't play at a high level anymore. I'm not talking about super slow motion film breakdown in a darkened room at 2 am trying to see where BB f*cked up. I just know what my eyes saw in 2003 and I know what they see now. How many times have you thought to yourself or said "Have you seen Bruschi make a single play today?" over the past 2 seasons.

You overinflated view of yourself and lack of knowledge is showing.. in reality the comments of "have you seen Bruschi make a single play today..." is a foolish comment, as this team is not judged on stats or flash, it is judged on game plans, game assignments and outcomes.. last year we went 18-1 with #54 at MLB.. BB is not going to put a liability on the field if there is a better alternative. Victor Hobson last years starting ILB for the Jets, could not even beat Teddy out... there is more to the picture than meets the eye.

In reality your opinion means nothing..

You overinflated view of yourself and lack of knowledge is showing.. in reality the comments of "have you seen Bruschi make a single play today..." is a foolish comment, as this team is not judged on stats or flash, it is judged on game plans, game assignments and outcomes.. last year we went 18-1 with #54 at MLB.. BB is not going to put a liability on the field if there is a better alternative. Victor Hobson last years starting ILB for the Jets, could not even beat Teddy out... there is more to the picture than meets the eye.

In reality your opinion means nothing..

I don't believe that I know any more than the average fan. I played some FB in highschool and have watched a lot of NFL games over the past 20 years, including 99.5% of the Pats games. That's my resume. I'm not trying to pretend to have superior knowledge about football.

That's what being a fan is all about - having fun commenting and arguing about things that you really don't have much business talking about and, at times, criticizing people who have forgotten more about a sport than you know. For instance, Matt Millen knows a lot more about football than every single person who posts on this site but he still gets trashed b/c of his (former) team's failures. That's the way it works.

I'll buy the fact that there aren't any "better alternatives" than Bruschi. That doesn't mean that he's not a liability. Your argument that the Pats went 18-1 with TB at ILB is bogus. Remember the 2001 Superbowl roster? That team is filled with "no better alternative" players and they won the SB.

It's pretty simple. TB is one of the all-time great Patriots. I just don't think that losing him at this point in his career is a big loss and I'd like to see him replaced in the offseason. I'm not alone is this opinion. If you disagree, that's great. It doesn't make you right, however, no matter how many posts you have voicing your opinion as a fan (and nothing more).

Are there any whorth while ILB's out there the Pat's could pick up, should Bruschi go on IR?

Well I guess we are going to see if Guyton has truly progressed!

Are there any whorth while ILB's out there the Pat's could pick up, should Bruschi go on IR?

He went on IR. No one except a former Patriot LB could come in and play for the Pats unless they had training camp and then some to prepare for the schemes. The silver lining is that it will give these other LB's some experience and we can judge if we need to pick up a free agent in the off season.

Well, this thing is a week old, but...

Scout.com: Best Available Free Agents-Defense-Week 13

Are just going to promote from within or will we try and sign one of these guys?

Sanders was playing some ILB, wasn't he?

Inside Linebacker
Derek Smith - The veteran linebacker was recently released by the San Diego Chargers.
Brandon Moore (WLB) - He's a solid backup that can play at a variety of positions.
Victor Hobson (SLB) - He'll offer a team solid depth. [gone]
Derrick Pope (SLB/WLB) - It was a bit surprising that this versatile linebacker was released by the Minnesota Vikings.
Odell Thurman - The Cincinnati Bengals decided they would move on without him and he's been suspended by the NFL for a year.
Lemar Marshall (WLB) - He would be a solid backup linebacker who can play inside or on the weak-side.
Brian Simmons (WLB) - He refused a pay cut and was released recently by the New Orleans Saints.
Robert McCune

Outside Linebacker
Donnie Spragan
Matt Chatham
Matt Stewart
Keith Adams
Raonall Smith
Shawn Barber
T.J. Slaughter

Last edited:
At this point, if we MAKE the playoffs, BB better get coach of the year or there's gonna be a lynch mob...

Tony Sparano, Mike Smith, Jeff Fischer and Jim Harbaugh say hi.

Hmmmmm...Matt Chatham knows the system. Not much of a LB though.

Time to get Adam Seward on the horn...

If his injury is this bad, and they are desperate for the roster space, they will reach an injury settlement. This will free up the roster spot and make Bruschi a Free Agent. If his knee is better in 4 weeks and the Patriots are in the playoffs, he gets re-signed for the Playoff run.

If the Patriots don't make the playoffs, Bruschi would be free to sign with whatever team is in the playoffs (NY Giants if Antonio Pierce gets suspended ???).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes