PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi headin' home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gross unwarranted hyperbole.

Really? I love Bruschi, I'll never forget his timely INTs. His amazing playing 03-04, all the big plays he made. But the poster is right.

Bruschi is beyond a liability, he is a certainty for coverage for the other team. You want the first down? Throw by #54. You want your RB to get those extra yards? Run at 54, because he constantly gets pushed back after making a tackle.

this isn't a knock on an old guy coming back from a stroke. It's simply the facts. Life without Bruschi is something this defense needs to learn.

I disagree. The defense, in fact, played noticeably better (aside from the one big play) once Bruschi left the game. I appreciate what Tedy's done for the team over the years, and there's no denying that he's a Patriot legend. But the dog days are all that are left for him. When he's out there, it's like you're playing with 10 men on the field sometimes.

Might that have more to do with Colvin a quality Vet who may have lost some ability too (you know the argument you are making against Bru) replacing a Young inexperienced ILB playing on the outside?

Using your premise Wilfork is washed up becuase the de played better when he got hurt.

I disagree. The defense, in fact, played noticeably better (aside from the one big play) once Bruschi left the game. I appreciate what Tedy's done for the team over the years, and there's no denying that he's a Patriot legend. But the dog days are all that are left for him. When he's out there, it's like you're playing with 10 men on the field sometimes.

Bruschi left early in the second quarter. The team seemed to visibly improve after the half (Bruschi's defense gave up 1 TD and he was injured when the Seahawks were at midfield. The score was 7-3 when he left.). Was that improvement attributable to Colvin going in for Guyton, Bruschi getting hurt, Seau going in, the defense being simplified, or as Seymour stated after the game, the defense figuring out what was being thrown at it by the offense? Where was the team taking hits, up the middle on the run or through the air? Was Seau pressuring Wallace?

I am not going to say your theory is incorrect, but I will say there were a number of things going on at the same time that provide equally plausible explanations for the improved defense.

Using your premise Wilfork is washed up becuase the de played better when he got hurt.

You just built up a straw man. Bruschi's play has been consistently poor all year. Wilfork's has been consistently strong. And actually, the defense got murdered on runs up the middle when Wilfork got hurt. Bruschi looked out of position on several of these plays, for what it's worth.

I think the improvement of the defense in the second half was attributable to a number of factors, since the Patriots are known for the adjustments they make over the half. But Bruschi has been a liability for most of the year.

You just built up a straw man. Bruschi's play has been consistently poor all year. Wilfork's has been consistently strong. And actually, the defense got murdered on runs up the middle when Wilfork got hurt. Bruschi looked out of position on several of these plays, for what it's worth.

I think the improvement of the defense in the second half was attributable to a number of factors, since the Patriots are known for the adjustments they make over the half. But Bruschi has been a liability for most of the year.

For those of you who think that Bruschi can be an effective part of a "good" defense, go back to a game this year on your DVR or Tivo and watch a few defensive series. Don't focus on anyone but Bruschi and tell us what you honestly see. I did it earlier this season. It's not pretty.

Well,

I think that all of this talk about whether or not 54 is an asset to the Patriots is a moot point. All I needed to see was the position of his left leg while he was on the ground to tell me that he likely isn't coming back.

If you look at him laying on the ground right after the play, before the trainers get there, you'll see his left calf and foot at a very unnatural angle flat on the ground. As he tries to roll over onto his stomach, his left leg doean't move, and he doesn't seem to be able to move onto his stomach either, and sort of stays on his side, slightly leaning forward and down.

I hope i am wrong. I'd like to see him return and finish out the season. I've always liked him, from the time he came aboard until today and regardless of his level of play.

That being said, I've also seen a lot of injuries, and that one looks bad to me. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I honestly don't expect to see him in a Patriots uniform again. Big sigh.

Well,

I think that all of this talk about whether or not 54 is an asset to the Patriots is a moot point. All I needed to see was the position of his left leg while he was on the ground to tell me that he likely isn't coming back.

If you look at him laying on the ground right after the play, before the trainers get there, you'll see his left calf and foot at a very unnatural angle flat on the ground. As he tries to roll over onto his stomach, his left leg doean't move, and he doesn't seem to be able to move onto his stomach either, and sort of stays on his side, slightly leaning forward and down.

I hope i am wrong. I'd like to see him return and finish out the season. I've always liked him, from the time he came aboard until today and regardless of his level of play.

That being said, I've also seen a lot of injuries, and that one looks bad to me. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I honestly don't expect to see him in a Patriots uniform again. Big sigh.

I think you are likely reading to much into that as he did walk off the field and into the locker under his own power. The way I read your post sounds like it was grotesquely out of place and that he needed it stabilized or something and that wasn't the case.

It certainly didn't look good (the contact I mean) but I will hold off on judging the severity of the injury based on how he was lying on the turf.

I think you are likely reading to much into that as he did walk off the field and into the locker under his own power. The way I read your post sounds like it was grotesquely out of place and that he needed it stabilized or something and that wasn't the case.

It certainly didn't look good (the contact I mean) but I will hold off on judging the severity of the injury based on how he was lying on the turf.

Yeah, but Brady walked off the field on his own power...I'm with Gwedd, the angle of Bruschi's leg was downright unsightly and unnatural. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a long term thing, and I feel very bad for Bruschi if that's the case, just as I did Brady & Rodney. The Pats will do as they've done all year and find a way to replace him. Seau will have to replace him as the running down SILB. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong about the severity.

Last edited:
For those of you who think that Bruschi can be an effective part of a "good" defense, go back to a game this year on your DVR or Tivo and watch a few defensive series. Don't focus on anyone but Bruschi and tell us what you honestly see. I did it earlier this season. It's not pretty.

I ma not saying he is what he was 5 years ago, however, I believe people like his coaches, GM and can make that determination better than you.

Do you know where he is supposed to play and how that changed this year?? Do you know his responsibilities on an given play?? Do you know how he is grading out?

I sure don't, but I do know, before his injury, back when we still had AD and Harrison and Alexandar and ones I cannot even remember at the moment were lost for the year and before Hobbs, Woods, Redd, Warren, Wilfork, Vrabel, Sanders and so many others on the "D" were banged up - we had a hell of a defense.

Bruschi can play on a BB team anytime.......I for one hope he can come back next year for one last hoorah.

Yeah, but Brady walked off the field on his own power...I'm with Gwedd, the angle of Bruschi's leg was downright unsightly and unnatural. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a long term thing, and I feel very bad for Bruschi if that's the case, just as I did Brady & Rodney. The Pats will do as they've done all year and find a way to replace him. Seau will have to replace him as the running down SILB. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong about the severity.

Me too. I'd love to see him only have something mild, and be back to end the year out. However, the realist in me was sick when I saw the replay and looked at him laying there before the trainers got out.

respects,

lee_patriotsseahawks8_spts__1228743762_1252.jpg

Can you tell the difference between a rush, read and drop-back assignment on a defensive scheme for an ILB? If you don't know the defensive design of a play, a read could very well look like you are getting blown back on a rush. The scheme may also be designed for Bruschi to take the hit to facilitate an inside charge by Mayo, who would be the better option with his quickness at this point in his career.

Unless you believe you possess a greater insight than Belichick does to identify deficiencies on video looking at the limited tape a fan has access to, you must accept the proposition that if you think your conclusion is obvious, it would be exponentially more obvious to Belichick. Accepting that, the logical explanation for what you see is (1) Bruschi is underperforming but the best available option, (2) Bruschi is performing as expected and someone else is not executing as they should be, or (3) Belichick is wearing a Tedy Bruschi shirt in the offseason and therefore is incapable of assessing his substandard ability. As option (3) is a non-starter, I am inclined to go with something between (1) and (2), allowing for the possibility that Bruschi, as well as any other defender on the team, is not flawless and will occasional not have the ability to be in the middle of every defensive stop.

Can you tell the difference between a rush, read and drop-back assignment on a defensive scheme for an ILB? If you don't know the defensive design of a play, a read could very well look like you are getting blown back on a rush. The scheme may also be designed for Bruschi to take the hit to facilitate an inside charge by Mayo, who would be the better option with his quickness at this point in his career.

You had cred in my mind until that paragraph. That is never, ever taught or coached. You don't get blown off the ball, ever, under any situation under any circumstance. It's about flow. Sorry man, but to me, you just sounded like this: See, what I think is happening is Belichick is running Bruschi on a tigershark slant (with an option to roll towards the tight end) towards the weakside playside counter-pulling guard. This allows Mayo to run an inside charge, obviously.

Full of chit, meng.

Last edited:
You had cred in my mind until that paragraph. That is never, ever taught or coached. You don't get blown off the ball, ever, under any situation under any circumstance. It's about flow. Sorry man, but to me, you just sounded like this: See, what I think is happening is Belichick is running Bruschi on a tigershark slant (with an option to roll towards the tight end) towards the weakside playside counter-pulling guard. This allows Mayo to run an inside charge, obviously.

Full of chit, meng.

The point being you do not know if execution fails or design without knowing the responsibility. I do not claim to know what Belichick is telling them to do. My high school team ran a basic 5-2, not a 3-4. I do not claim to know all possible applications of the 3-4 defense employed by the Patriots (And if you teach or coach a Belichick-style defense at any level below the pros, good for you. I defer to your understanding of the possibilities as most college level defenses run at a level below the Patriots' scheme in complexity from what I have heard.)

If Bruschi's job is to read (sorry for the use of "blown back" - getting knocked out of the box likely would not be a design defense) - it may look like he is blocked. If his job is to charge and he gets blocked, his execution fails. That was the simple point I was trying to make. You probably can't tell that without looking at the play in light of the defense called.

If one of the Pats' defensive calls is to let Bruschi get blown up on a running play so that Mayo can come in and make the hit, that's definitely their most effective defensive scheme b/c it happens a lot.

Save me the worn out "I think BB knows a lot more about football than you" line. No sh#t. If we followed that rule, however, this site would only have a handful of posts every days and you'd have to completely delete the draft forum. In MY opinion, Bruschi can't play at a high level anymore. I'm not talking about super slow motion film breakdown in a darkened room at 2 am trying to see where BB f*cked up. I just know what my eyes saw in 2003 and I know what they see now. How many times have you thought to yourself or said "Have you seen Bruschi make a single play today?" over the past 2 seasons.

In MY opinion, Bruschi can't play at a high level anymore. I'm not talking about super slow motion film breakdown in a darkened room at 2 am trying to see where BB f*cked up. I just know what my eyes saw in 2003 and I know what they see now. How many times have you thought to yourself or said "Have you seen Bruschi make a single play today?" over the past 2 seasons.

Who ya gonna believe, the game tape or ya lyin' eyes?

Last week: Bru 7 tackles & 3 assists; Mayo was 6-0

Week Before: Bru 2-0 Mayo 4-0

Week before that: Bru 5-5 Mayo 16-4 incredible!

Despite NOT playing every down like Mayo, Bruschi has been servicable this season. When fans think back to past seasons when he was a game changing playmaker they contrast and incorrectly think he's nothing now. He's average now.

Last edited:
According to the BCN postgame show, Bruschi is in the air right now heading back to Boston. Not shocking, but looks like this is a long-term injury.

Was it ever confirmed Bruschi headed back to Mass.? I haven't seen anything else about it on the internet.

Despite NOT playing every down like Mayo, Bruschi has been servicable this season. When fans think back to past seasons when he was a game changing playmaker they contrast and incorrectly think he's nothing now. He's average now.

Exactly. Bru was OUTSTANDING in his prime, so he has a very long way to go before he becomes irrelevant:rolleyes: He's smart and he's good; he's no longer outstanding but he's still solid. I see NO upside to losing him this season.

13 games, 38 solo tackles, 37 assists - including no sacks, no INTs, no FFs. That 1:1 ratio is a telling statistic for an ILB. Compare that to 2004 (76 solo, 46 assists) or to Mayo this year (83 solo and 20 assists). I love Bruschi and I'm not saying he's not useful as a leader on the field and in the lockeroom. He just shouldn't be a starting inside linebacker for a playoff contender. "Servicable" is not a bad description at this point. My original point was that an injury to a "servicable", albeit beloved, player is not a major hit for the defense and should not evoke an "OH NO!!" reaction.

ILB's in a 3-4 have the following responsibilties and should be graded on these:
1.) Diagnosing and reading keys/plays - Can he read and react and do so quickly? Does he get a good jump? Football smarts/instincts?

2.) Tackling - Can he wrap up? Does he tackle low/high? Tackle with power?

3.) Vs inside run - Can he step up and fill the hole? Physical? Can he take and shed and do so quickly? Good hand use?

4.) Vs outside run - Can he shift over trash? Does he have the speed to get to the sideline? Does he take good angles? Good feet?

5.) Lateral pursuit -Hip movement ok? Can he chase sideline to sideline?

6.) Pass drop and pass coverage - Does he get adequate depth? Can he cover in zone? Can he cover man-to-man?

7.) Blitz/pass rush - Power or finesse rusher?

When grading a player in the pros, the same process is used at the end of every year by coaches as scouts when grading potential prospects. Maybe someone can break down all the game tapes this year and let us know how Bruschi has done. I go to all the home games and watching Bruschi I think we all can admit that he has lost a step but that doesn't mean he can't fill a role and that he is not still a good part time football player with tremendous leadership and teaching skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye