PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi headin' home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I would think you guys wouldn't pile onto one of the greatest Patriots ever like this, on a day he was injured no less.

Agree 1000%. I seriously am coming to despite the majority of "fans" on this board. Every imbecile spouts off and makes themselves look foolish (e.g. Today's Game Thread).

well Guyton better not play OLB because he can't set the edge

yeah hes not strong enough to do so, his strength was a big reason he went undrafted. Thats why I wonder if he could be a starting ILB for the Pats, I love him in on passing situations and 3rd down but Im not convinced hes a starter.

well Guyton better not play OLB because he can't set the edge

That's a technique thing, though. I was watching his form for several plays and he was standing up too tall. He was letting the blocker come to him and not locking the guy out. He wasn't getting off blocks. He was trying to stand stout like Vrabes when he should have been attacking the edge and sealing with his hips. He clearly had his head spinning. I don't think he's ever played a role like that before schematically. Maybe he'll improve with time. Regardless, his problems weren't of the athletic nature.

Guys like McGinest and Vrabel had an advantage because of size and they're long wingspan so much that OL can't grab onto them easily.

Guyton isn't strong. He needs about two seasons of gaining strength. In the meantime we can find a use for him.

It's pretty ridiculous that we have this problem. LB should have been addressed several seasons ago isntead of using a first rounder on watson or maroney.

now we're stuck with backups and guys past their prime playing.

the whole excuse of finding a guy who could play LB in the system is ridiculous.

It's pretty ridiculous that we have this problem. LB should have been addressed several seasons ago isntead of using a first rounder on watson or maroney.

Tell me about it BB please for the love of Pete...Stay away from Drafting Offensive Players on Day 1. BB has horrible track record with Offensive players who Bust!

Last edited:
According to the BCN postgame show, Bruschi is in the air right now heading back to Boston. Not shocking, but looks like this is a long-term injury.

Ah. Too bad. My guess is if he's done for the year, that'll be it for him. He'll join Harrison in retirement.

:nosmile:

Shoot me now. Our team is falling apart.

We love you Teddy, you are a True Patriot.

Re: Bruschi headin home

Au contraire, with Warren getting closer and Joker saying Vince is expected back next week, we should be alright with the DL and Mayo/Guyton/Seau at ILB. OLB is a little weak of course.

Mayo/Guyton/Seau does not leave me feeling warm and content. One good player, an overachieving practice squad guy and a retiree.

Say it with me, people: Maualuga... MAU - A - LU - GA

Say it with me, people: Maualuga... MAU - A - LU - GA

He's not falling that far, and I'll trust the Pats pick over anyone elses here, unless it's an early offense pick.

Mayo/Guyton/Seau does not leave me feeling warm and content.
It's about the same to me as this time last week with Mayo/Guyton/Bruschi. I like Maualuga too but I don't think we're going to have two #1 picks at ILB even if he made it to us.

Ah. Too bad. My guess is if he's done for the year, that'll be it for him. He'll join Harrison in retirement.

:nosmile:
Go with the rooks an inexperience.. sorry I find a lot of manure on here...

That's a technique thing, though. I was watching his form for several plays and he was standing up too tall. He was letting the blocker come to him and not locking the guy out. He wasn't getting off blocks. He was trying to stand stout like Vrabes when he should have been attacking the edge and sealing with his hips. He clearly had his head spinning. I don't think he's ever played a role like that before schematically. Maybe he'll improve with time. Regardless, his problems weren't of the athletic nature.

I agree, he definitely is lightfooted enough to get to the outside in order to cut off the edges but he always seemed to be out of position. Seems like a better fit as a "MAC," playing inside just as he did before all the injuries. As an OLB in a 3-4 you pass rush, drop in coverage and have "D gap" responsibility.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Like every Pats fan, I love Bruschi and what he's done for the franchise...but didn't anyone else how much better the defense got when he was out? It sucks, but he has been the weak link in the defense all year. It's hard to imagine what the Pats would look like without #54 in the middle, but we may find they are better off that way.

Bru always bounces back. I am predicting he gets the MRI and they are negative and flies back out to join the team.

Tell me about it BB please for the love of Pete...Stay away from Drafting Offensive Players on Day 1. BB has horrible track record with Offensive players who Bust!

I bet if you go look at it, its no where near as horrible as you think it is.

Day 1 picks:
Adrian Klemm - OT - Drafted using Grier's scouting reports
J.R. Redmoind - RB
Matt Light - OT - Starting LT since his rookie season.
Brock Williams - TE - career with Patriots cut short due to injury.
Daniel Graham - TE - Became an amazing blocker and decent receiver
Deion Branch - WR - SB MVP in 2004.
Bethel Johnson - WR -
Ben Watson - TE - Starting TE
Logan Mankins - OG - Starting RG since his rookie season
Nick Kazcur - OT - decent starting OT who can play both LT and RT
Laurence Maroney - RB - Starting RB who has been plagued by shoulder injuries
Chad Jackson - WR - tore his ACL at the end of his rookie year. Missed the entire sophomore year. Cut in TC
David Thomas - TE - #2 receiving TE. below average blocker.

So, the only real washouts have been Johnson, Jackson and Brock Williams. Other than that, BB and Pioli have done a damn good job during what was formerly known as DAY 1 of the draft. (day 1 used to be the top 3 rounds, its been reduced to only rounds 1 and 2 starting in 2008).

I wish Bru the best, of course, but Wilfork is by far the biggest injury sustained today. Well, that's the one I'm most worried about anyway.

I believe Bruschi is the best option, provided he does not have an injury limitation. If Junior were the better option, you had better believe he would have rejoined the team much earlier. I am as happy to see Junior return as anyone with the energy he brings, but Belichick (or Pioli) has never made personnel decisions based on nostalgia so I am guessing Bruschi isn't retained as the fan favorite if he is a liability on defense.

The rotation scheme worked fairly well last year, so hopefully Tedy joins the rotation to avoid taxing Colvin and Seau to the point they get injured.

I am starting to wonder whether the Patriots have exhausted the list of non-retiree free agents with all the injuries this season.:)

Good luck Teddy, to go home for evaluation is not a real good sign.. they have medical facilities on the west coast..

Who's left on the 'shadow roster' ? :confused:

Other than Troy, and Vinny, I think the shadow roster is now empty.

I bet if you go look at it, its no where near as horrible as you think it is.

Day 1 picks:
Adrian Klemm - OT - Drafted using Grier's scouting reports
J.R. Redmoind - RB
Matt Light - OT - Starting LT since his rookie season.
Brock Williams - TE - career with Patriots cut short due to injury.
Daniel Graham - TE - Became an amazing blocker and decent receiver
Deion Branch - WR - SB MVP in 2004.
Bethel Johnson - WR -
Ben Watson - TE - Starting TE
Logan Mankins - OG - Starting RG since his rookie season
Nick Kazcur - OT - decent starting OT who can play both LT and RT
Laurence Maroney - RB - Starting RB who has been plagued by shoulder injuries
Chad Jackson - WR - tore his ACL at the end of his rookie year. Missed the entire sophomore year. Cut in TC
David Thomas - TE - #2 receiving TE. below average blocker.

So, the only real washouts have been Johnson, Jackson and Brock Williams. Other than that, BB and Pioli have done a damn good job during what was formerly known as DAY 1 of the draft. (day 1 used to be the top 3 rounds, its been reduced to only rounds 1 and 2 starting in 2008).

The only good players came out of those Offensive selections by BB are Matt Light - Deion Branch and Logan Mankins. Daniel Graham was Bust based on where he was selected, they could have got a Blocking TE on Day 2 and not is the First Round...Ben Watson still Sucks! and Nick Kaczur is average at Best. BB has really hit on 3 of 12 Offensive Players that's NOT! a good ration Period! PS Brock Williams was not a TE he was a DB selection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey