PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Former Patriots OC O’Brien Heading Back to Boston?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Former Patriots OC O’Brien Heading Back to Boston?
Ian Logue
Bill O'Brien quietly departed the New England area this offseason to accept the job as offensive coordinator with Ohio State, but it sounds like he may not end up ever calling a single play for the Buckeyes.

The post Former Patriots OC O’Brien Heading Back to Boston? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

From a professional/career perspective, if I was in his shoes it would make more sense to be OC at Ohio State. Even though HC is a higher position than OC, at Ohio State you have a winning team competing for a national championship year in and year out. At BC the best reasonable expectation is one or two games over .500 and a low tier bowl game - even though you are competing in ACC, not the Big Ten.

However, given the unique medical/family situation, it does make sense.

On a side note, a CBS reporter apparently wrote a column that the incentive was working in his hometown - and job security. Huh? Sorry, but I don't buy that at all. How much job security does one have with a football program that is perenially at .500 overall and under .500 in its conference?

From a professional/career perspective, if I was in his shoes it would make more sense to be OC at Ohio State. Even though HC is a higher position than OC, at Ohio State you have a winning team competing for a national championship year in and year out. At BC the best reasonable expectation is one or two games over .500 and a low tier bowl game - even though you are competing in ACC, not the Big Ten.

However, given the unique medical/family situation, it does make sense.

On a side note, a CBS reporter apparently wrote a column that the incentive was working in his hometown - and job security. Huh? Sorry, but I don't buy that at all. How much job security does one have with a football program that is perenially at .500 overall and under .500 in its conference?

BC is loathe to move on from coaches unless forced to. There’s quite a bit of job security there.

Coincidentally, the previous coach was the DC at Ohio state before becoming HC at BC.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back