PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sign Aqib Talib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it is looking more and more like the "Patriot Way" is to stumble ass backwards into the greatest QB of all time, and then rely on him to carry you through all your front office shortcomings.

shhhh can't say that around here. Too many idiots with their heads in the sand who won't admit any front office shortcomings.

Hmmmm......

Dude it better happen lol. Im sick and tired of the revolving doors at the corner position. Its been one of the most unstable positions on this team for years now besides WR.

does anybody really believe the pats will sign revis? I would be shocked if that happens.

Cue the Patriots fans who now think Talib is a "traitor"

They are idiots just like the ones who said Welker was. Just like the ones who said Branch was when he signed with the Colts for a week. Anyone who says a player is a traitor for leaving for a better deal is an idiot.

I still can't get over how much money they paid him. It's insane. And he ain't worth it, no way no how.

Hmmmm......
Reports like that don't excite until I hear them say Revis wants to be a Patriots for millions a year less than he will get elsewhere.

Lots of players on cheap rookie contracts, I'd imagine...

I dare say the Broncos are working under the presumption cap figures will increase at a desirable rate for big contracts in the coming years. If not, they're going to be in cap hell when they need to negotiate those expiring rookie contracts.

I really wanted the Patriots to extend Talib but given his significant issues, there's no way I hand out the Denver deal.

Well like I said... we'll have plenty of cap space available for the Chase Rettig era, and all Denver will have is a couple of Lombardi's.

Wait, what? Couple of Lombardi's? Did Denver upgrade from Goober and I missed it? Did you watch the Superbowl? Ain't going to happen as long as the NFC continues to have those pass rushing monsters.

We need a pass rush to stop Goober. Not CB's. They're pretty much unstoppable in the air, just as much as Goober is an embarrassing choke artist under pressure.

does anybody really believe the pats will sign revis? I would be shocked if that happens.

My sources are telling me its going to happen tomorrow... Wait, I dont have any sources :D

Yes, based on the last 5 or 6 years I can safely assume that the Pats will once again have a weak pass rush.

Ware will inevitably become a Bronco based on several reports.

Maybe you will be right, maybe not. I'd rather wait and see how the remainder of free agency unfolds, the draft and or possible trades, post June 1st cuts, training camp, exhibition before even thinking about making predictions on the team, let alone pass rush.

Also, I agree that Ware will most likely not leave Denver without an agreement.

SB39: Can you point me to one time that 'mortgaging the future' or 'going all in' has worked for an NFL team? It works in other sports (occasionally), though the context is usually different because it involves trading picks and prospects for players at the trade deadline when you already know you'll be making the playoffs and because the 7-game series nature of playoffs in other sports means random chance doesn't dictate most of the outcome of the playoffs as it is smoothed out over a longer series.

I can't particularly recall a time a team was 'mortgaging the future' in football, and certainly can't recall that particular team winning the Super Bowl.

Elway is throwing out big $. If I were Talib, I'd cash in too.

Well like I said... we'll have plenty of cap space available for the Chase Rettig era, and all Denver will have is a couple of Lombardi's.

Might as well give me the winning Powerball number for this week while you at it.

Wait, what? Couple of Lombardi's? Did Denver upgrade from Goober and I missed it? Did you watch the Superbowl? Ain't going to happen as long as the NFC continues to have those pass rushing monsters.

We need a pass rush to stop Goober. Not CB's. They're pretty much unstoppable in the air, just as much as Goober is an embarrassing choke artist under pressure.

Sounds good but pass rushers are going almost just as quick as corners. Theres the draft but who knows...

Well according to many people today, there is no chance because it will ruin our salary cap structure for years to come! Only a stupid team would do that!

I hope we do sign Revis not only because he is such an amazing talent, but I can't wait to go back and respond to all those people that told me it has no chance of happening. I'd love to see the back tracking.

Reports like that don't excite until I hear them say Revis wants to be a Patriots for millions a year less than he will get elsewhere.

On one hand you're complaining that the Patriots aren't spending on free agents.

On the other you only want the best defensive player in football if he'll take a paycut to play for the Patriots.

Here's some cake, make sure you eat it.

I'm sorry to see him go. The number was correct, but the guarantees were too high for Talib to get past.

You honestly think Belichick remotely considered giving Talib a 6 yr deal worth almost 60 million dollars? I think it was a bit more than "just" the guaranteed money here.

Don't blame John Elway. He was taught how to play the cap for short bursts during the end of his career. That's his philosophy, take a risk for the short term and then take the hit when it all comes crashing down you you. Those contracts Denver are signing must all be heavily back loaded.

Obviously, Elway is going "all in" for the limited time left that he has Peyton Manning, which is very smart. They've been favored in like 30+ games in a row and are coming off of a record setting year in a ton of categories. Anyone who didn't see DEN loading up and attempting to do everything they could while they still have Manning is in denial.

My biggest regret about losing Talib is that we are going to have to hear from the Borges' and Felger's of the world for the next few months complaining about why BB and Kraft are idiots for not spending wildly.

They can say whatever they want to say, but in 2010 and 2012 the New England Patriots were #2 in cash spent. That's not even coming close to being cheap. It's the exact opposite. Look at the cash they spent. 151 million and 160 million. The problem has been poor luck, injuries, and bad signings--not the lack of spending.

Giving out these huge contracts is going to make it difficult for the Broncos to begin to assemble any sort of offensive line. An OL they are going to have rebuild from scratch.

Peyton Manning has the quickest release time of any QB in the league at about 2 seconds per throw. You could line my grandmother up at all 5 spots and he's still going to do just fine. This is something we'll hear about all year after SEA's defense looked good against them, but it's probably a big exaggeration.

Their D better be good.

With the 2 huge signings today to bolster their secondary in TJ Ward and Aqib Talib, along with a strong push to sign DeMarcus Ware, I'd say they're in pretty decent shape on both sides of the ball.

Most guaranteed money for a CB in NFL history. For a guy with legal, drug, and injury concerns. Right.

I don't recall the drug issues, but does that mean it is going to be tough for him going to the green state of Colorado?

I know the Broncos draft fairly well, but it seems mind boggling that they can afford Manning's ridiculous salary, Ward at $5.5/year, Talib at $9.5/year, Welker plus all their other guys, plus reportedly being close to signing Ware.

Like the one they had locked up this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News