PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sign Aqib Talib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we going to see Talib on Gronk?

Cue the Patriots fans who now think Talib is a "traitor"
No, kudos to him. He tricked somebody into thinking he's worth that much money.

As the meme goes...
34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

heck of a job by Elway bidding against himself.

Ok but it'd be kinda funny if Amendola takes out Talib in the next AFCCG.

Ok but it'd be kinda funny if Amendola takes out Talib in the next AFCCG.

Amendola would probably sustain a career ending injury trying to injure another player.

People can say what they want about BB, but he finds guys like Talib to play for us for a couple of million a year.

It's an established trend if you are an underpaid, and hungry player who wants to get paid big. Come to the Pats, bust your ass, work for cheap, get paid big and reap the rewards after.

We'll get ours. I have faith in BB. I'm not worried. I love how people ignore this team is what made those guys into double digit contracts. Talib wasn't playing like and certainly wasn't getting nearly $10 million before he became a Pat last time I checked. And he's a 6 year vet.

So the Broncos just added Talib, Ward, and probably Ware to a team that just made it the Superbowl?

#championship or bust!

Seriously, we need a cornerback big time now. Revis would be a dream come true, but likely will not be a reality. *sigh* #disappointed

It's not fair!!! Elway threw in a couple of bales of indica and a five year supply of glass pipes and screens...how are we gonna compete with that???? it's not even legal here....talk about a slanted playing field...

Pretty disappointing to lose him but not for that money. Overpaid and we have enough injury concerns on this team. Also Rich Levine put it perfectly:

Talib better watch out for those mid-practice Welker crossing routes.

SB39: Can you point me to one time that 'mortgaging the future' or 'going all in' has worked for an NFL team? It works in other sports (occasionally), though the context is usually different because it involves trading picks and prospects for players at the trade deadline when you already know you'll be making the playoffs and because the 7-game series nature of playoffs in other sports means random chance doesn't dictate most of the outcome of the playoffs as it is smoothed out over a longer series.

I can't particularly recall a time a team was 'mortgaging the future' in football, and certainly can't recall that particular team winning the Super Bowl.
As others in here have mentioned, this is very much the same strategy that got Denver and Elway those 2 titles when he was retiring. They mortgaged the future at the tail end of a HOF QB's career, cheated a little, and have 2 Lombardi's show for it.

But don't worry folks, we'll have plenty of cap space available when Chase Rettig takes over for Tom Brady down the road.

Difference is that unlike us, they have depth. Even if Talib gets injured it won't hurt them like it hurt us. Plus, also unlike us, they will have a good pass rush with Miller and Ware.

What depth? They cut Bailey and won't be resigning DRC.

I don't recall the drug issues, but does that mean it is going to be tough for him going to the green state of Colorado?

Talib failed tests for pot while still playing for Kansas, and has been rumored to be one of the many players who smoke, so yes...he should feel right at home in Colorado.

I know the Broncos draft fairly well, but it seems mind boggling that they can afford Manning's ridiculous salary, Ward at $5.5/year, Talib at $9.5/year, Welker plus all their other guys, plus reportedly being close to signing Ware.

I think Elway would be a complete idiot if he had one of the NFL's best QB's and the whole world knew that he only had another season or two left in the game, not to go all-in to try and win a title.

We all saw how close they came this year. I think it's smart to try and continue where they left off.

Yes, we got them in the wind and odd conditions here in Foxborough when they lost their top CB at the time in DRC for the 2nd half, but I don't believe that our team as a whole was anywhere near as good as they were last year. Maybe I am off, but I think DEN was clearly a better team in many categories, and I don't mean that to sound overly negative.

I think we lucked out a bit and used the wind and momentum to our advantage in that late night game at home last year. Hopefully we can narrow any gap if one does exist.

Talib was a good Patriot while he was here. Kept his nose clean and did things the right way. I was very up in the air when it came to the team resigning him. Obviously him not being on the field in the last two afc championship games was disappointing and a game changer. In both games. Same could be said for Gronkowski although I'm more lenient on him because his injuries were a broken forearm and a torn acl. I don't know, those hamstrings and hips are a big red flag to me.

If I had to choose between Talib or Revis(1 year post surgery) I'd go with Revis every day of the week. Problem is we lost Talib and Revis is far from a guarantee.

They are going for broke.......they won't matter when manning is gone

Well like I said... we'll have plenty of cap space available for the Chase Rettig era, and all Denver will have is a couple of Lombardi's.
Nostradamus? People like you thought they would surely win one last season and we all saw how that turned out.

There's no universe in which Talib with his hip problems is woth that much. To bury our season after just few hours of free agency is beyond idiotic.

I dare say the Broncos are working under the presumption cap figures will increase at a desirable rate for big contracts in the coming years. If not, they're going to be in cap hell when they need to negotiate those expiring rookie contracts.

I really wanted the Patriots to extend Talib but given his significant issues, there's no way I hand out the Denver deal.

Agree. I can envision a perfect storm scenario for Denver if/when all those rookie deals expire and they have no choice to jettison a lot of solid players.

I also was hoping for a Talib extension, but yeah, that contract was a deal-breaker in my estimations as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back