PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sign Aqib Talib

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Aqib Talib’s stay in Denver doesn’t work out as planned, his six-year, $57 million contract could end up being a one-year, $12 million pact.

Just $11.5 million of Talib’s contract is fully guaranteed and he’ll get all of it in 2014, according to salary data obtained Thursday by USA TODAY Sports.

The rest of the guaranteed money includes base salaries of $5.5 million in 2015 and $8.5 million in 2016 that are guaranteed for injury only until the first day of those respective league years, when they’d become guaranteed for skill and cap as well if Talib’s still on the roster.

In other words, barring a career-ending injury, the Broncos could cut Talib after this season, not pay him another dime, take a $4 million cap hit and move on. That’s an important “out” given Talib’s off-field and legal issues dating to college.

More than half the total value of Talib’s contract is tied up in non-guaranteed base salaries of $11 million in 2017 and 2018 and $8 million in 2019.
Broncos have an ?out? in Aqib Talib?s contract | Q

Of course the devil is in the details.

Like I said, if you want to even take it one step further, he has to play in ALL 16 games this year to see the full guaranteed 11.5 million, so even the odds of that happening aren't too good.

When people like DRC start turning down 6/54 contracts (that Talib eventually signed if you add another few million in potential at 6/57) and no one is remotely surprised or questioning anything whatsoever, you know that people have either lost their minds, or aren't taking the "real" numbers and possibility of fine print into account.

You know I've mentioned this in several threads (probably this one too. ;) ) but I still haven't gotten any feedback on the fact that the Broncos have some serious issues to deal with on their OL, like missing 3 or 4 of their OL starters. Who cares what they did to their defense. They have a LOT of holes to fill on that offense, beside Eric Decker, and not much cap space to deal with them.

I can give you some feedback: Your wrong :)

In 2013, the Broncos OL looked like this:
Clark, Beadles, Ramirez, Vasquez, Franklin

Of these, Clark, Ramirez, Vasquez and Franklin are still under contract.

For 2014, Ryan Clady (which went on IR after week2) will return and provide a huge upgrade over Clark at LT.

Which leaves LG as the only question mark.

They might move Franklin to LG as insert Clark at RT.
Or move Ramirez to LG and insert Vallos at C.
Or draft a replacement.
Or sign a cheap veteran.

To summarize. Compared to 2013, they:
- get an elite LT back
- lose an average LG

Which doesn't support your assertion that their OL is in big trouble.

so now the Broncos are without DRC and Champ Bailey... and have Talib as their only good CB.

Good luck. He left the last 2 playoffs with weak injuries. No tears or broken bones = you should be playing in the biggest games of your life.

Plus Talib was great for the first 6 weeks this year and then faded drastically when the cold weather came in, plus the hip issue.

Talib doesn't seem dedicated to playing at an elite level week in and week out... but he just got paid like someone who does.

Also, marijuana is legal in Denver. Good luck Talib. He's no longer playing for a contract either.
I can see this being a huge bust of a FA signing. He has that "I play when I wanna play" attitude that Moss had.

Great to use someone like that for 2 years when they need to prove themselves and get a big contract. Bad for people who have them after that contract is signed.

Anyone see Blount's twitter? He's all over Blount's nuts

Aqib Talib give the pats 1.5 years of real CB play for the first time since Samuel left and he did it for a total of about 6 million or so I don't think any pats fans should be mad at him, I wish him the best of luck

so now the Broncos are without DRC and Champ Bailey... and have Talib as their only good CB.

Good luck. He left the last 2 playoffs with weak injuries. No tears or broken bones = you should be playing in the biggest games of your life.

Plus Talib was great for the first 6 weeks this year and then faded drastically when the cold weather came in, plus the hip issue.

Talib doesn't seem dedicated to playing at an elite level week in and week out... but he just got paid like someone who does.

Also, marijuana is legal in Denver. Good luck Talib. He's no longer playing for a contract either.
I can see this being a huge bust of a FA signing. He has that "I play when I wanna play" attitude that Moss had.

Great to use someone like that for 2 years when they need to prove themselves and get a big contract. Bad for people who have them after that contract is signed.

Talib will be Talib - sometimes a good corner, sometimes in the locker room unexpected to return, beat to hell by the play offs.

Who I think is really going to be their FA bust is Demarcus Ware who has been called Demarcus Where? I watched about 4 Cowboy games last year and didn't hear his name called more than once. Guy has a growing reputation of coming up really small when it matters most.

He'll fit in great with Peyton.

Not going to be surprised if he's a total bust.

I think Denver's FA splash is way overrated. Media doesnt have much to talk about. Guy got cut by the Cowboy's DEFENSE. Pretty bad. Denver throws 10M a year at him.

LuLz

From what I have read/heard, Talib's contract is full of incentives, clauses and contains outs in the event of injury. Regarding Champ and DRC, Champ hardly played at all last year and has lost a step (he is still my favorite Bronco of all time though) and DRC turned down virtually the same contract Talib took. Talib is making $1million (roughly) less than Denver would have owed Bailey.

Don't sleep on Chris Harris at the corner opposite of Talib either. Going into the 2013 season ProFootballFocus ranked Harris as the 64th best player in the NFL... Take it with a grain of salt but in 2013 AdvancedNFLStats.com rated Revis the 38th best corner in the NFL and had Chris Harris at #49... No, I am not saying Harris is at the same level as Revis but to say Talib is Denver's "only good CB" is simply false.

Weed being legal in Colorado isn't a concern at all either. Do you think any NFL player has an issue getting weed if they want it??? SMH....

I think Denver's FA splash is way overrated. Media doesnt have much to talk about. Guy got cut by the Cowboy's DEFENSE. Pretty bad. Denver throws 10M a year at him.

LuLz

Ware wasn't "cut" as you state but rather released due to his contract. Per The Dallas News:

"You can point to the release of DeMarcus Ware as a salary cap move. You can argue it’s an indication that Jerry Jones, whose loyalty to aging stars runs deep, has come to some sort of fiscal epiphany. Both are valid. But a third factor went into this decision that can’t be discounted: the Cowboys’ playoff drought.

Ware, and to a lesser extent Miles Austin, are casualties of the team’s prolonged mediocrity. An argument can be made the record had more to do with the owner’s decision to cut ties with those players than any fundamental change in how he manages the salary cap."

If I were to point a finger at any single person regarding Ware's release, it would be Jerry Jones himself in the fact that he has continued to involve himself in player personnel decisions and failed to leave such matters to someone that knows what they are doing. JJ also has let his ego get in the way of making moves regarding Romo and Jason Garrett. Clinging to the hope that they will eventually win. Jerry doesn't like to be wrong and has continually gone out of his way to prove the decisions he makes are the correct ones.

Anyone else ask the question yet? What's a Denver fan doing here? Season ain't even start yet.

Anyone else ask the question yet? What's a Denver fan doing here? Season ain't even start yet.

Goodell has made the NFL 365 days a year now so I thought I would stop by and see what was going on in Patriot land:D

Goodell has made the NFL 365 days a year now so I thought I would stop by and see what was going on in Patriot land:D

Just do me a favor and don't be difficult at this point in the offseason so we can chat with you next season when it counts :beatingcoming:

Just do me a favor and don't be difficult at this point in the offseason so we can chat with you next season when it counts :beatingcoming:

The thread is titled "Broncos Sign Aqib Talib" and as a Broncos fan, I was curious to see what Pat fans were saying regarding the signing. I apologize if I was being difficult and will gracefully refrain from posting and go back to lurking:D

Sports Illustrated: Talib signing one of several head scratchers.

2014 NFL free agency mistakes: Rodger Saffold, Aqib Talib among missteps | Audibles - SI.com

Talib will be paid $11.5 million plus a maximum of $500,000 in per-game bonuses, leading to a figure which would match Revis’ 2014 total if Talib’s able to start every game. It’s a lot of front-loaded money for a guy who just turned 28 and who allowed 596 yards and three touchdowns on 38 catches last season.

Wonder where they got the stats.. And what the stats for Ryan, Arrington, Dennard, and Green looked like.

Re: Sports Illustrated: Talib signing one of several head scratchers.

Interesting. I was just looking at NFL.com, reading Batista's best/worst signings piece. She wrote this:

How did the Patriots react (to Denver signing Talib)? By getting a better (albeit only marginally so) cornerback for less money in Darrelle Revis.

The bold italic is mine. I guess I don't see Revis as "only marginally better" than Talib. I mean, Talib did some very good stuff here. But Revis has a legit shot at being a Hall of Famer; not so sure Talib does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes