PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign WR Brandon LaFell to 3-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron Dobson had a solid 1st year, and has a lot of upside. He's almost 6'3" with 4.37 speed. Demaryius Thomas took a full 3 years (and Denver getting Manning at QB) before he emerged as a legitimate #1 receiver. In fact, Dobson had as much production he rookie season as Thomas did in his 2nd year.

It's obviously not a given, but if Dobson can progress, then I think we could see something like Dobson as a Demaryius Thomas thread, Lafell as a "poor man's Eric Decker", and Edelman in the slot. Add in Gronk, and you'd have a darn good WR group. It may take another year to fully develop, but that would be a really solid nucleus, not even including the possible development of Thompkins, Boyce and Harrison.

Agreed, plus we have to consider that we are going to draft a TE with probably 2nd or 3d so our starting point this season receivers wise is much much better comparing to what Brady had in the beginning of last year.

Welker never had more than 700 yards before he became a Patriot.

BB/Brady will turn LaFell into a star just like they did with Welker

Can I get this translated into English?

A guy who has been trolling me the entire time with nothing to add is calling me names and throwing out insults? Go figure. Either give nothing but praise to the management of the Patriots or get called names. Gotcha. You really showed me. Lol!

Welker never had more than 700 yards before he became a Patriot.

BB/Brady will turn LaFell into a star just like they did with Welker

So Lefell is all of a sudden now on the same tier as Welker? How did that work out for Lloyd, Tate, Patton, Caldwell, Jackson, and Chad Johnson who was a star on his other team? You take one guy's success and act like some under achieving guy from another team will have this happen to him, because of some slot receiver that is completely different than him and it's automatic? Yeah, he will be a star because of what Welker did, but we'll ignore all other wideouts that actually played the role of what Lefell will be asked to play and he'll be a star just because of what some slot receiver did. I bet you said that about Amendola too. Was Sudfield going to be a star because of what Gronk and Hernandez did as well? How did that work out?

So Lefell is all of a sudden now on the same tier as Welker? How did that work out for Lloyd, Tate, Patton, Caldwell, Jackson, and Chad Johnson who was a star on his other team? You take one guy's success and act like some under achieving guy from another team will have this happen to him, because of some slot receiver that is completely different than him and it's automatic? Yeah, he will be a star because of what Welker did, but we'll ignore all other wideouts that actually played the role of what Lefell will be asked to play and he'll be a star just because of what some slot receiver did. I bet you said that about Amendola too. Was Sudfield going to be a star because of what Gronk and Hernandez did as well? How did that work out?

Lloyd caught 74 passes and had 911 yards in his one season. He's not on the team because of psychological problems, not because he wasn't a good WR. David Patten caught 165 passes, 16 TDs and 3 SB rings in his 4 years in NE. You are talking out your arse.

I'm beginning to understand why you are so bitter, upset and critical.

Nice 2-14 season for your team last year. Sucks for you, eh? :D

Here in paradise, there is a reason why we are so optimistic. The sun will set, the sun will rise and the Patriots will win somewhere between 12-14 games in the regular season and have a shot in the tournament.

Meanwhile trolls from 2-14 teams that are second fiddle in their own state (by a LOT) will continue to come here and throw mud on subjects about which they have knowledge.

Last edited:

What team do you troll for?

Caldwell and Patten did exceed their previous production here, both pretty drastically. Tate and Jackson were Pats picks. Lloyd's production here was essentially his production elsewhere for much of his career. Johnson, as you mention, was a spectacular flameout.

I think the odds are fairly good he'll be an upgrade over Thompkins in the outside possession receiver role.

The homecoming jacket wearing Texans? They were not even competitive on the field.

Wouldn't YOU be pissed off at the franchise that laughed their asses off at your team's rinky dink "letterman's jackets" and summarily started their fall from contender to joke within several months?

Yup. We can all pity poor Texxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx........

Wouldn't YOU be pissed off at the franchise that laughed their asses off at your team's rinky dink "letterman's jackets" and summarily started their fall from contender to joke within several months?

Yup. We can all pity poor Texxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx........

Matt "Showbiz" Schaub and an inept coach had much more to do with it.

The homecoming jacket wearing Texans? They were not even competitive on the field.

Well, they did almost beat us...

I look at this signing, along with the report of Britt coming in, as insurance against Dobson and Boyce's availability to start the year and/or develop after injury. If either is PUP'd, you have your crew with Amendola, Edelman, LaFell, and possibly Britt.

It would be hilarious if after all this; after all these Britt leaks... that BB brought him in because he knows nobody is serious about signing him and wanted to gather some info about a potential shadow-roster guy.

It would be hilarious if after all this; after all these Britt leaks... that BB brought him in because he knows nobody is serious about signing him and wanted to gather some info about a potential shadow-roster guy.

Still think he ends up signing here. You don't leave visiting the Pats for the day and tweet "Blessed" and it not have something to do with said visit.

Great read on Lafell and what he can do. Much more at the link. Oliver Thomas does a great job with breakdowns.

Finding Brandon LaFell's Purpose in the Patriots? Receiving Plans | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

LaFell .... has the size and fluidity to work all over the field. His skill set can push 2013 second-round pick Aaron Dobson as an “X” receiver, all while pushing 2013 fourth-round pick Josh Boyce and the undrafted Kenbrell Thompkins as “Z” receivers.

LaFell was far more dangerous in the intermediate, where he could drop his defender-side shoulder to swing underneath the safeties or cornerbacks at the top of his pattern. And when running variations of out routes, he had an inherent advantage over the unturned heads of cornerbacks.

What the Patriots are getting with LaFell is a different dynamic. While he often aligned as a slot receiver, he isn’t one. He isn’t going to run the same routes as Amendola or Edelman or Boyce; he’s going to work the boundary and occasionally find daylight deep between the hashes.LaFell may not be the main headline signing of March’s free agency, but he may be the type of ingredient the Patriots offense was looking for all along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on another forum Lafell got 4M guaranteed. Haven't been able to track down anything concrete.

Anybody heard anything? 4M for him makes me scratch my head a little.

Great news for those who haven't been updated yet! Lafell's deal is only for 3/9 with a 3m signing bonus. Really can't argue with the money. Lafell gives us a pretty good redzone threat and is a tall, solid possession WR type who will complement our shorter receivers.

Breaking down LaFell's contract - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

he's wearing jersey #19

Some funny comments in the PFT article on his drops.

Great news for those who haven't been updated yet! Lafell's deal is only for 3/9 with a 3m signing bonus. Really can't argue with the money. Lafell gives us a pretty good redzone threat and is a tall, solid possession WR type who will complement our shorter receivers.

Breaking down LaFell's contract - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

A 3/9 deal for LaFell isn't too shabby in my opinion.

Denver may have ended up getting a more talented WR in Sanders (or maybe not), but at 3/15 for Sanders, LaFell may provide much better value here in his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back