PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: NYJ fined $100,000 for Revis tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most baffling part of that was, after Westhoff's BS claim, Jay Glazer dug up some tape of a Patriots player (Hochstein?) not tripping anyone. And the reaction was "Ah-ha! See? Same thing!"
Exactly, but none of them looked for anyone else taping on the sidelines. I've long maintained that the tapes were destroyed because BB being the smart ass SOB he should be sent them plenty of shots of other cameramen taping them.

Also in 2011 during the lockout, when the teams came back there was a very arcane section of the final agreement that stated something like any team that signed their players BEFORE or AFTER a certain date will get some kind of exemption from the cap.

I'm sure Miguel would better remember the details, but the bottom line was that because of this arbitrary date the Jets and IIRC one other team managed to save close to $10MM in cap space. I hope Miguel or some other one who remember this better can fill in the blanks on this ANOTHER example of the Jets getting favored treatment by the league

I'd also like to know who else has moved on from working for the Jets to becoming a functionary of the league besides Goodell and Kensil Are there others we have to worry about?

You missed quite a few, actually,
Branch tampering,
Desean Jackson tampering,
the threatening of career ending injury to Wes Welker,
Farvre sending d!ck pics,
Jets sexually harassing a spanish reporter

Whoa, what penalty would sexual harassment, while in an NFL uniform, as a team, under the new "No More" regime carry for anyone but the Jets? Could you imagine Cris Carter's pain then?

Deus, At this point, I just don't see that happening. RK has been too play nice for too long,

I don't think he has it in him to do what is necessary (publicly expose and tear down the league ) to get rid of this menace. And that is only way he will go. There are plenty of owners who don't mind to see 30 teams treated avg, 1 treated well, and 1 like **** (as long as the one is ne).
Bob Kraft didn't become a multi-billionaire by always playing nice.

Like I said in the Trolling thread, Roger Goodell has finally dropped any pretense of objectivity and neutrality. With his comment on Charlie Rose on one day and his tampering result on the next, Goodell came out in front of the entire league and media and told the Pats and Bob Kraft FU. He made it clear it was open for all teams to tamper with Pats players. Feel free to pump in noise when you play the Pats at home, and to all his media whore buddies, its also acceptable to attack the Pats or slander their brand.

Most felt Goodel would rather the entire "deflategate" mess would disappear. But no sane individual would make a comment like he did on Rose if he wasn't looking to inflame the haters and damage their brand.

Roger Goodell has been at war with the Patriots for a long time. This week he finally came out and declared it. At least I give him credit for that. Now its time for Bob Kraft to recognize that a state of war has existed for quite some time between his franchise and the rest of the league, and start to do something about it.
The amusing thing is that Felger and Maz keep going on and on about how Goodell is totally in Kraft's pocket.

The amusing thing is that Felger and Maz keep going on and on about how Goodell is totally in Kraft's pocket.
Of course. That belief is the first requirement for membership in the Haters' Club. For proof, just read the comments following every PFT item which deals with Goodell and the Pats. As I wrote in another thread, I believe that the opposite may well be true. Namely, that Goodell has quietly aligned himself with the other teams and owners who dislike NE and their success and now Kraft is standing, more or less, alone. That's a bad position to be in. I think the Deflategate news is going to be bad for us and that's very different from how I felt a few days ago. The fix is in.

I honestly am beginning to hate the NFL thanks to Goodell's bumbling over the past decade. He's ****ed up pretty much everything he's touched, from the Spygate tapes to the lockout to the Ray Rice investigation to the replacement refs to the in-season rule changes to the Deflategate issue.

Only Goodell would launch an investigation into the most obvious case of tampering and come away with pretty much nothing right after throwing a hissy fit about too much legal tampering going on during the legal tampering period he created.

What a ****ing moron. What a ****ing joke of a league.

Roger Goodell has been at war with the Patriots for a long time. This week he finally came out and declared it. At least I give him credit for that. Now its time for Bob Kraft to recognize that a state of war has existed for quite some time between his franchise and the rest of the league and start to do something about it.

People are making the mistake that Goodell is smarter and more competent than he actually is.

You are implying that Goodell has spent a tremendous amount of resources and energy with the intention of keeping every aspect of the Patriots organization down.

In actuality, during the time Goody has been commissioner, the value of the team has increased by $1b, they are #2 in total revenue and have participated in 3 Super Bowls and 6 AFCCGs.

I am not saying he has helped them. Besides avoiding the facts around Spygate and looking to preserve his own authority which BB was undermining and not putting a gag order on the leaks during Deflategate, I think when it comes to the Pats, Goodell is more of a case of complete incompetence and power run amok than anything sinister and intentionally destructive.

I view the comments to Rose as typical Goodell behavior. When he is in a casual environment and not in front of a teleprompter, he says dumb things without a purpose or meaning.

People are making the mistake that Goodell is smarter and more competent than he actually is.

You are implying that Goodell has spent a tremendous amount of resources and energy with the intention of keeping every aspect of the Patriots organization down.

In actuality, during the time Goody has been commissioner, the value of the team has increased by $1b, they are #2 in total revenue and have participated in 3 Super Bowls and 6 AFCCGs.

I am not saying he has helped them. Besides avoiding the facts around Spygate and looking to preserve his own authority which BB was undermining and not putting a gag order on the leaks during Deflategate, I think when it comes to the Pats, Goodell is more of a case of complete incompetence and power run amok than anything sinister and intentionally destructive.

I view the comments to Rose as typical Goodell behavior. When he is in a casual environment and not in front of a teleprompter, he says dumb things without a purpose or meaning.

Never attribute to malice, what can easily be accounted for by stupidity.

every NFL Commish til this one, has been a very smart man, Pete Rozell was a genius, he made this league into what it is. Goodell is ruining it! I'm not sure if it's malice or pure stupidity!

I'm not sure that Kraft can respond. The NFL owners are a pretty tight group and might not allow dissent.

I know that many of my fellow Pats fans might have had high expectations for Tampergate, but I really don't know why anyone would be surprised by Goody's ruling. He probably went to Mike Kensil for advice before he made his "decision."
I'm not saying to respond publicly but a few private phones to Mara, Rooney , Jones and the other alleged power brokers in the league could go a long way to correcting the crap that emanates from Park Ave.

Everyone says that, but we've never seen any evidence of that alleged sway when it actually matters.

We did in 2011 when we were looking at a shortened season.

100% out of whack.

RK said it, 'the 20m is a placeholder.' That meant that he essentially made public what most figured, they couldn't afford that and needed to negotiate. so woody subsequently saying he would match anything was inserting a wedge in that negotiation. And that is the freaking definition of the rule my friend. That makes MORE not less egregious
woody was just being the bumbling fool that he is. he never said in that press conference that he would match any offer. that press conference is what set of the tampering charges.

woody was just being the bumbling fool that he is. he never said in that press conference that he would match any offer. that press conference is what set of the tampering charges.

There's no doubt that Johnson is a dumb ass, but that was pretty clear cut tampering. There have been more innocent cases of tampering in the past that have resulted in compensation over lesser players than a first ballot HOFer. The precedent was set and Goodell screwed the pooch yet again.

Never attribute to malice, what can easily be accounted for by stupidity.

every NFL Commish til this one, has been a very smart man, Pete Rozell was a genius, he made this league into what it is. Goodell is ruining it! I'm not sure if it's malice or pure stupidity!

What Rozell was also gifted at were politics, management and hiring the right people. He also had great vision. He wasn't always perfect but he had a great sense for when to fight, when to agree and when to seek peace. In other words, he was a spectacular politician and a leader.

Goodell has none of Rozell's qualities but is not dumb enough to conscientiously conduct a public or private war with Kraft.

I had Mike and Mike on the radio on my way in to work. Not that we should expect fair treatment from them, but they actually asked Greenberg about the Rats' tampering during their "Love it or shove it" section.

Mike Golic offered no opinion on it but Greenberg said that he had no problem with it. It wasn't his money and they got Revis back.

He also suggested that if that is all it costs he hopes Woody tells Luck something like that when the time comes.

Most of his time was spent rambling about how rich Woody Johnson is and how much money he made selling his apartment in New York City.

I expect he would have had a much different take if it was his beloved Rats being screwed over by the league, but you can tell that he didn't want to analyze this too seriously.

Being ESPN I guess it is surprising that they covered it at all.

So just what is the worst discipline handed down to the Rats during the Goodell Reign of Omissioner?

This $100,000 may be the biggest he has handed out. After the Rats finished investigating themselves for Tripgate they fired Alosi, and I believe for this and Westhoff accusing the Pats of "doing the same thing" the combined penalty was $1000,000.

On the benefits side the Rats under Badell have:

Gotten their biggest rival harshly punished for minor camera placement offense,

Had their own incident of taping from an unauthorized location in Foxboro ignored by the league,

Been allowed to tamper with and be rewarded with a future HOF player from their chief rival,

Had a bogus, retaliatory tampering charge against the Pats unpunished,

Been given salary cap relief after the uncapped season,

Had offenses ignored; tampering with Michael Crabtree, holding illegal off-season practices...

Anything I missed?
and the Jets still fking suck... lol at Goodell failing at favoritism.

ba4b5ae09699bc236651eb39685089c711f8609aa9d1894171d30fd5fa7e0637.jpg

agreed, i didn't think they'd get draft picks never mind the rodents first rounder. what was posted here reminded me of trading mallet to the browns for their first rounder #6 overall, it wasn't going to happen. as far as the 9ers they CALLED the players agent, thats a lot more blatant then woody saying something off the cuff in a press conference.

I knew the 6th overall pick was nothing but a pipe dream and would never happen, but I was realistically expecting a slap on the wrist in the form of a 6th or 7th round swap of picks...

Fining the heir of the Johnson & Johnson multi billion dollar empire 100k for tampering and securing one of the best defenders in the NFL over the last decade is nothing short of a total, in your face, joke.

It's essentially a luxury tax, a luxury tax that doesn't even count against their cap.. Johnson won't even notice that money missing, his team of financial advisors will just categorize it as a charitable donation that will be included in his quarterly tax write offs.

**** Woody Johnson, **** Mevis, **** the Jets and **** their ball washer Goodell.

I knew the 6th overall pick was nothing but a pipe dream and would never happen, but I was realistically expecting a slap on the wrist in the form of a 6th or 7th round swap of picks...

Fining the heir of the Johnson & Johnson multi billion dollar empire $100,000 for tampering and securing one of the best defenders in the NFL over the last decade is nothing short of a total, in your face, joke.

It's essentially a luxury tax, a luxury tax that doesn't even count against their cap.. Johnson won't even notice that money missing, his team of financial advisors will just categorize it as a charitable donation that will be included in his quarterly tax write offs.

An exchange of first round picks is what SHOULD have happened, based on other instances of tampering in the past. But yes, most of us did not expect this to happen. I realistically expected swapping either a 2nd or a 3rd along with a fine for the Jets. I didn't expect a fine that amounts to pocket change for Johnson and no penalty after that. Goodell really had his old team's back on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST