PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady appeal date set 6/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that was different IMO since there was some guilt. The evidence we now have shows that NOTHING HAPPENED either from a player level or a team level. That being said, the NFL is the master of inconsistency and arbitrariness and would allow the team penalty to stand regardless of the ruling in Brady's case.

I expect an unbiased arbitrator (if we ever get one) to rule rather definitively that not only is Tom innocent but that the evidence shows that there was no deflation of the footballs - I'm just not certain of the strength of this assertion (likely, highly likely, beyond a reasonable doubt, etc.)

The fascinating part of this will be the case for an NFL sting operation. When you consider factors such as:
- the decision to not notify the Patriots before the game of ball pressure concerns
- the statement at halftime by an NFL official that the NFL is going to get the Patriots
- the leak to Chris Mortensen of the incorrect PSI information along with the refusal of the NFL to correct this or allow the Patriots to correct this. The report says that this was not an much of an issue while many of us believes that this is a huge issue in terms of damaging the Patriots' reputation and convincing the masses that the Patriots are guilty when the actual evidence of PSI measurements strongly indicates innocence
- in general, the extreme bias of the Wells Report

- in particular in the Wells Report:
+ the October text string sequence after the Jets game which is discussed 4 times in the report. We now know specific texts that were not included in the report which totally rebut the reports conclusion of what the text sequence means. The report claims that they couldn't find these other texts - but a reporter claims to have found the missing texts with a 10-minute internet search. It strains credibility that the investigators did not have access to the full text sequence and then intentionally decided to use the specific texts used in order to bolster their guilt finding. This is a smoking gun in terms not only of bias but of a sting.
+ the decision to ignore Walt Andersen's memory of which gauge he used for the pre-game measurement of the Patriots footballs while accepting every other memory he had. Note that accepting Walt's recollection on this point shows that there was no deflation of footballs at (at least) a high confidence level and totally undermines the rest of the report findings.
+ the amazing inability of the investigators to find either the Patriots or Colts gauges - either one of which could be used to reasonably prove that Walt Andersen used the logo gauge for pre-game measurements.
+ the inability (refusal?) to use the actual report data of the intercepted ball measurements to, once again, likely prove that Walt Andersen used the logo gauge for pre-game measurements.
+ the report leaving out extremely significant context around the Patriots refusal to grant a 2nd interview while painting a very negative picture of the Patriots 5 (or was it 7) times in the report based on this "refusal to cooperate". The full context shows conclusively that the failure was on the Wells team to abide by their own rules and that the Patriots were blameless in this issue and perhaps should even be commended for protecting their employees from investigator abuse. The investigators broke their own rules and lied about this to the Patriots.
+ the investigators refusal to investigate the NFL's role in this despite this being part of the mandate
+ essentially ignoring all other rule breaking (such as the Colts measuring the intercepted football; this evidence ultimately helps to prove the footballs were not deflated)
+ ignoring the exploration into a motive by Tom Brady. (Aren't motives generally a critical piece of proving a crime - or has my 50+ years of reading/watching crime mysteries been wasted?) Best evidence is that neither Tom Brady nor Jimmy Garappolo can tell the difference between footballs within 1 PSI of each other in the ordinary use of the football. This is likely true of most everyone. And yet, the average deflation assuming worst case is well below 1 PSI. In other words, there is no motive to deflate footballs less than 1 PSI. How can this be ignored?

There are many other specific points of bias; these are just some of the more egregious.

- the NFL accepting the report conclusions uncritically despite the many flaws
- the unprecedented penalties for an equipment violation that is barely proven according to the report ("generally aware"?, "more likely than not"?) while having a history of practically ignoring similar pressurization issues (putting balls in front of heaters).

IMO, there is a strong case that the NFL conducted a sting operation when all the facts are considered. The NFL better be very careful about how this is handled. Personally, I don't ascribe that much malice to the NFL, but the evidence says (to me) that a sting was "more probable than not".

I would love to see the NFL decision making process that had Mike Kensil, Vice President of Football Operations, Akil Coad - Director of Football Operations and Compliance and Troy Vincent Executive VP of Football Operations all at the same game.

Brady appeal will be heard, Goodell doesn't reduce suspension, Brady or his lawyer announces they're moving on and not pursuing the matter further...u heard it here first:mad:
Might I add I really hope I'm wrong...

Could happen but I really doubt it. Here's why.
Brady hates to even be taken out late in the 4th QTR in games. Why would he meekly acquiesce to missing 4 entire games in the few remaining seasons of his career when he still had very viable alternatives?

Why would he meekly acquiesce to missing 4 entire games in the few remaining seasons of his career when he still had very viable alternatives?

because Brady wants to concentrating on winning football games?
because he wants any penalties to be taken at the beginning of season, rather than later?

I do expect that the NFLPA would file a court case if the suspension is not reduced.

I just don't have a warm fuzzy about this. I can see Brady taking two games if that is what goody comes up with.

Even then if he goes to court and while I think it is a solid case, at some point the NFLPA will lose one of these and let's hope it isn't Brady. Any court proceeding is lays playing with the odds, right now th nflpa is in the plus side of that but it doesn't always stay that way.

The first thing I bring to the table in federal court is the Kevin Faulk first down on that 4th and 2 that the ref said wasn't...with a just hired Kensil lurking on the Colts sideline giving fist pumps...from there, roll out the entire organized criminal conspiracy riddling NFL offices since the Goodell hire.

is that true?

is that true?

uh...put it this way...if it's more likely than not that maybe the air pressure in some footballs was lower than prescribed by rule then , AFAIC, it is even MORE likely and probable than not that Kensil was there and influenced that call in the Indy game.

Disgusting league robbery aimed specifically at eliminating the Patriots...tape does not lie...but Kensil does and so does his boss, Badsmell.

Disgusting league robbery aimed specifically at eliminating the Patriots...tape does not lie...but Kensil does and so does his boss, Badsmell.
Come on Joker, let's get some good synonyms going. We can break his name up into 2 parts
Goo - Lots of possible choices here:
• crud
• glop
• gook
• guck
• gunk
• muck
• ooze
• sludge
• slush
• yuck​

Dell - Only seems to be one reasonable candidate here
• dale
dingle
• glade
• glen
• value​

Now we don't want to seem obvious, so we'll have to switch the order around like "dellGoo"
yields
Dinglegook
DingleOoze
Dinglecrud
you get the idea.

This is why I love this place.

I come up with these wacknuts permutations off the top of my pinhead...but when someone with even a modicum of organizational skill comes along and delineates the issue so that even I, Joe the Dope, can understand...well, sports fans..THAT is what I'm talking about.

Roger Sludgedingle...sounds like some rube from Hee Haw...

juniorsamples.jpg

Brady appeal will be heard, Goodell doesn't reduce suspension, Brady or his lawyer announces they're moving on and not pursuing the matter further...u heard it here first:mad:
Might I add I really hope I'm wrong...
I don't see any way that happens. If they don't reduce the suspension, Brady has nothing to lose by going forward.

My concerns is Brady gets offered a deal whereby the suspension is reduced or eliminated, he gets a big fine, and in turn he has to agree not to sue. That might be a tempting carrot. I am not saying that that is what I want because I want to see him fight this to the death - well, to Goodell's death that is - but a deal like that might be tempting.

Could happen but I really doubt it. Here's why.
Brady hates to even be taken out late in the 4th QTR in games. Why would he meekly acquiesce to missing 4 entire games in the few remaining seasons of his career when he still had very viable alternatives?
We all thought Baghdad Bob would come out swinging at the owner's meetings and what did he do? As much as I & others would like to think Brady's not your typical "union guy.". He's consistently helped kraft and consistently irked the NFLPA by taking way below market deals.
Also, Brady was raised in a pretty wealthy family; it's not as though he grew up impoverished or was brought up in a family of iron workers or steelworkers....I don't think he's ever going to wave the union flag....

Don't hate on me Pat fans, but this is how I see it going down. Goodell gets Brady to fess up to something (not exactly sure what) and the suspension is reduced to 2 games. Both sides then say nice things about each other and everyone moves on.

Don't hate on me Pat fans, but this is how I see it going down. Goodell gets Brady to fess up to something (not exactly sure what) and the suspension is reduced to 2 games. Both sides then say nice things about each other and everyone moves on.
Your posting regularity is about right. Just over 4 per year. Keep up the good work. We'll see you in September. Any chance you sang with the 60s group The Happenings???

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm sure it was the result of your extensive research into the subject, and not just some worthless thought based on absolutely nothing.

I doubt that Brady is as cavalier about his reputation & legacy as is his self absorbed team owner
My feeling is that if Brady accepts even a one game suspension, he's guilty of something. I hope that's not the case, but I'm prepared for it. I don't now believe he's guilty of anything, But, I was also led to believe that Kraft would fight to the end, and we all saw how that turned out.

I can't fault anyone for being a bit cynical or disappointed after the surprise of the Wells report's "reasoning" and Vichy Bob's abrupt cave. But those people were simply being what they are. I expect Brady to be who he is and fight this thing.

I don't believe it, but it is not beyond reason that Brady is guilty of asking eqpt guys for balls to be lowered in prior games (but not the AFCCG) if the refs had them set too high. That would fit a one game suspension deal.

likely this goes to court like the bountygate suspensions. Brady wont serve a single game after it is all said and done IMO

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm sure it was the result of your extensive research into the subject, and not just some worthless thought based on absolutely nothing.

I'd like to tell you what my opinion is based on:

First of all, to think that an NFL owner who believes his QB is innocent, would give up a first round draft choice and $350.000, and do it "for the good of the league", is ludicrous. Any owner, even your Bob Kraft, would fight to the death if he truly believed a member of his team was innocent.

No , I believe Kraft was exposed to some info that hasn't been made available to the public, that showed something fishy happened. And now Brady is between a rock and a hard place.

Unlike many posters here, I don't believe Goodell wants to take the Patriots down a notch, but he knows he has to appear fair to everyone, to all the teams and all the fans. So he will convince Brady to step up to the mike and be contrite. Goodell will then knock 2 games off the suspension and life will go on.

We all thought Baghdad Bob would come out swinging at the owner's meetings and what did he do? As much as I & others would like to think Brady's not your typical "union guy.". He's consistently helped kraft and consistently irked the NFLPA by taking way below market deals.
Also, Brady was raised in a pretty wealthy family; it's not as though he grew up impoverished or was brought up in a family of iron workers or steelworkers....I don't think he's ever going to wave the union flag....
Brady is not waiving the Union flag here. This is about that little thing called honor and integrity. Remember Brady's pre-Super Bowl sideline speech to his teammates about honor? I think those things are important to Brady. Cheaters aren't honorable. Cheaters don't have integrity. If Brady cares about those things, and I think he does, then he will fight this hard. Really hard.

I'd like to tell you what my opinion is based on:

First of all, to think that an NFL owner who believes his QB is innocent, would give up a first round draft choice and $350.000, and do it "for the good of the league", is ludicrous. Any owner, even your Bob Kraft, would fight to the death if he truly believed a member of his team was innocent.

No , I believe Kraft was exposed to some info that hasn't been made available to the public, that showed something fishy happened. And now Brady is between a rock and a hard place.

Unlike many posters here, I don't believe Goodell wants to take the Patriots down a notch, but he knows he has to appear fair to everyone, to all the teams and all the fans. So he will convince Brady to step up to the mike and be contrite. Goodell will then knock 2 games off the suspension and life will go on.

So you believe that the Wells Report, which convicted Brady with nothing but innuendo, and had to stretch that as far as it could just to make it seem like something fishy was going on, was actually withholding all its "real evidence."

Brilliant theory. I'm sure it's been making the rounds through knuckle dragging Jet forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back