PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady appeal date set 6/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, Goodell does not, or should not want this case in court b/c of the precedent it would set. In regards to Goodells powers to just arbitralary throw out suspensions on conduct detrimental to the league BS.

Greg Hardys suspension is something goodell does not care he would lose in court. B/c Hardy is the last of the scum bags to be retro activitly hit with punishment under the new domestic violence rules. That is a case he can throw up his hands and say he tried.

Brady's case has far more reaching consequences for Goodells powers if he loses..
If it comes down to losing power (say by having to name real arbiters for appeals in the future) or risk alienating owners who can make his lose his job...
I don't know Goodell, but I can think of 44 million reasons why I'd protect the job. :)

If it comes down to losing power (say by having to name real arbiters for appeals in the future) or risk alienating owners who can make his lose his job...
I don't know Goodell, but I can think of 44 million reasons why I'd protect the job. :)

Like I said above I am no expert on this. But Goodells best play on this case is to completely reverse Brady's suspension. Take the PR hit that he is in Krafts pocket, and everything that comes with that. So the NFLPA does not get it's white whale case to severely damage his powers.

Lurking behind all this, is the Missouri Supreme court ruling from May 5.

When it comes to employment disputes involving individuals teams, the NFL traditionally stacks the deck in its favor, forcing disgruntled employees to agree to arbitration — with the Commissioner of the league presiding. Last week, the Missouri Supreme Court delivered what could become a fatal blow to the league’s obsession with allowing a non-lawyer to make legal decisions that could be influenced by business interests unrelated to what the law requires.

PFT

Going to be a interesting couple months.

Last edited:
Brady's appeal is completely separate from the stolen draft picks. We are never getting those back because of Kraft f.ucking us over.
Weren't getting them back under any circumstances.

Brady taking a deal from Goodell, even if it gets rid of the entire suspension, is a real bad look because EVEYERONE will believe that it was because of backroom dealings with Kraft. And they'd probably be right.

I agree with you. I think the other scenario I raises is less probable than not. :)

On the other hand, I don't think it's impossible. For one thing, while I believe that Brady isn't an outright cheater in this matter, I can't entirely rule out a secondary "Who will rid me of this meddlesome PSI?"* level of responsibility.

*For those who didn't get that reference -- ::sigh:: -- Henry II said "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?", and four of his knights went off and killed Archbishop Becket. Henry II did penance for that.

Please do not utilize a 1000 year old quote from Henry II followed with a "sigh" in a football forum.

But didn't abraham miss games, I know he got paid for them but I thought he still missed some. Maybe not

Abraham?

Bountygate was 4 players:

Vilma
Hargrove
Fujita
Smith

Brady taking a deal from Goodell, even if it gets rid of the entire suspension, is a real bad look because EVEYERONE will believe that it was because of backroom dealings with Kraft. And they'd probably be right.

And that is the best move for Goodell/Owners.

Sadly, this is more about the NFLPA Vs the Owners at this point now.

Brady's lawyers should still question Goodell during the hearing. They said they wanted to call Goodell as a witness so they should go through with it and take time to question Goodell about specifics of the report. Because I doubt Goodell even read the whole thing. It won't change anything but might as well make Goodell look stupid even if it's behind closed doors.

The initial filing can be for a TRO. That's how Vilma went about it.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/07/jonathan_vilma_files_motion_to.html

Vilma's case is different then Brady's I believe. Vilma filed a Defamation case, which was not heard(tho the judge slammed goodell), I believe. Tags as a independent arbitrator(Appointed by Goodell) turned over Vilma and the Saints players suspensions, not the courts. Bountygate does not really apply at all to this situation. Besides no matter what happens with Brady's appeal, the Pats are not getting back their draft picks.

Vilma's case is different then Brady's i believe. Vilma filed a Defamation case, which was not heard(tho the judge slammed goodell), I believe. Tags as a independent arbitrator turned over Vilma and the Saints players suspensions, not the courts. Bountygate does not really apply at all. Besides no matter what happens with Brady's appeal, the Pats are not getting back their draft picks.

You're all over the map with your post (not that such is bad, but it's different issues), so I'll break it down:

Vilma's defamation suit was a separate suit from the appeals suit.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/06/3-saints-players-sue-nfl-over-bounty-punishments/

The draft picks are a team issue, and not a player issue, so they are irrelevant. (cite not needed)

Goodell's suspensions were actually vacated by a 3 member appeals panel in the Saints case.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/08/s...-suspensions-of-saints-in-bounty-scandal.html

You're all over the map with your post (not that such is bad, but it's different issues), so I'll break it down:

Vilma's defamation suit was a separate suit from the appeals suit.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/06/3-saints-players-sue-nfl-over-bounty-punishments/

The draft picks are a team issue, and not a player issue, so they are irrelevant. (cite not needed)

Goodell's suspensions were actually vacated by a 3 member appeals panel in the Saints case.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/08/s...-suspensions-of-saints-in-bounty-scandal.html

Thanks. I stand corrected.

For some reason I thought tags overturned the suspensions in that case. Thanks for the 3 member panel link.

Always good to get corrected in situations like this.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

For some reason I thought tags overturned the suspensions in that case. Thanks for the 3 member panel link.

Always good to get corrected in situations like this.

I'm with you. There's so much that's gone on in Goodell's recent years that it's a real pain in the ass to try to keep it all straight in your head.

Side note: anyone looking for a piece of '80's style movie cheese on steroids, to kill a half an hour or so, might want to check out Kung Fury. Here's a quick Wiki blurb:

Kung Fury is a Swedish martial arts comedy short film written, directed by, and starring David Sandberg. It is an homage to 1980s martial arts and police action films.[2][3] The film was crowdfunded through Kickstarter with pledges reaching US$630,019, exceeding the original target goal of $200,000, but falling short of the feature film goal of $1 million.[4] It was selected to screen in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival, losing to Rate Me from the UK.[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fury

And here's Kung Fury, in case you're interested:

Side note: anyone looking for a piece of '80's style movie cheese on steroids, to kill a half an hour or so, might want to check out Kung Fury. Here's a quick Wiki blurb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fury

And here's Kung Fury, in case you're interested:

Jesus, a random 80's movie plug...

..And it is not Big Trouble in Little China?

Ignore list..

:Goes to netflix:

Last edited:
Jesus, a random 80's movie plug...

..And it is not Big Trouble in Little China?

Ignore list..

:Goes to netflex:

It's not an 80's movie. It was actually just finished, but it has the (in this case WAAAAY) over the top style that a lot of the 80's action movies had.

Plus, it's got a Norse god, dinosaurs, Hitler and rampaging arcade games. It's basically cheese on top of cheese, with a side of cheese and a nice glass of liquid cheese to drink it down.

P.S. You could look at the lead as an even more over the top cross between Jack Burton, Dirty Harry, the Stallone/Aahnold/Lundgren characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes