PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Friday Patriots Notebook 6/23: News and Notes

Ian you HAVE to take the BB interview and put it in a content thread. In just that brief 30 minute interview he gives us a LOT of insight as to what it takes to build a championship contender and how offenses and defenses evolve and more importantly how teams adjust when, for example, offenses change.

Whether its zone, man or mixed coverages, I believe it's more and more a "match up" league. You don't attack positions (like say the LB), you attack the PLAYER (like we have a speed/length, strength advantage with these guys kind of thing). So it looks like we are building a defense (especially in the 2nd and third levels) where a lot of players will be interchangeable. So when you see 6 DB's on a passing situation, it doesn't matter if the player is a S, CB, or LB. It's about which 6 guys of OURS, matches up best against theirs.

Weill I find it fascinating to think about. I think Bill is trying to build a defense that not only can change week to week, but because it can change so radically in scheme and personnel packages so radically, it will be a ***** for the other team to prepare for. I think he'd LOVE to have the offense to be able to do the same thing, but we've got too many new parts coming in this year to do that. NEXT year maybe.

Ian you HAVE to take the BB interview and put it in a content thread. In just that brief 30 minute interview he gives us a LOT of insight as to what it takes to build a championship contender and how offenses and defenses evolve and more importantly how teams adjust when, for example, offenses change.

Whether its zone, man or mixed coverages, I believe it's more and more a "match up" league. You don't attack positions (like say the LB), you attack the PLAYER (like we have a speed/length, strength advantage with these guys kind of thing). So it looks like we are building a defense (especially in the 2nd and third levels) where a lot of players will be interchangeable. So when you see 6 DB's on a passing situation, it doesn't matter if the player is a S, CB, or LB. It's about which 6 guys of OURS, matches up best against theirs.

Weill I find it fascinating to think about. I think Bill is trying to build a defense that not only can change week to week, but because it can change so radically in scheme and personnel packages so radically, it will be a ***** for the other team to prepare for. I think he'd LOVE to have the offense to be able to do the same thing, but we've got too many new parts coming in this year to do that. NEXT year maybe.
What about this year? All we have to do is split within the Division especially with Buffalo then anything can happen.

What about this year? All we have to do is split within the Division especially with Buffalo then anything can happen.
You are absolutely right. this is going to be a very solid team. especially if Hopkins is a part of it. But the division is crazy and the rest of the schedule is just as bad. ANY team in the division that does better than 3-3 in the division is likely the division winner, and no one is going better than 4-2

I have to keep on reminding people that the so called "talent gap" is often a figment of interpretation. When you START with facts that anyone who is good enough to just make it on an NFL roster is a remarkable athlete who is highly trained and exceptionally motivated. To make a 53 man roster you have to be good enough to get to a 90 man roster than then there is a month long battle to whittle it down ANOTHER 30 players. There is a big difference between that 53rd payer's half million dollar salary that the 80 grand a PSer makes. Believe me, t'll be a battle at 32 NFL camps/ So what remains are a LOT of really good players.

The difference in perception are THOSE teams who have the 3-5 players who are elite and how the teams are built. EVERYONE has great athletes on their squad. The magic is building a team where the OTHER 50 guys can help make those 3-5 "elite" players make plays.

Even a great QB won't succeed in a bad system. We saw that Last year. But its not just Mac. Look at what happened to Russell Wilson in a bad system in Denver. So in a league where 95% of the talent is about the same, games come down to who is more disciplined, more mentally tough, luckier with health,

I think people have forgotten that even during the years of the NFCLeast, how many game against the Phins, Jets, and Bills came down to the wire and were struggles though in our minds we were the far better team. How many games did we win because we were "more disciplined, mentally tougher,and luckier with health, calls and bounces".

So anything between 12-5 and 5-12 is definitely in play here.

My self, I think NEXT year is the year when we should have "great expectations". To me THIS year is 2001 all over again. A good scrappy team that will be fun to root for, and let the results be what may. They WILL be good enough to be in games well into the 4th quarter. That's all a fan can ask for.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back