PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady appeal date set 6/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFLPA wants this to go to court as a way to get the unilateral, heavy-handed personal conduct policy that Goodell put in place after the Ray Rice fuster-cluck. He completely violated the CBA in doing this and now the union has the perfect case to take to court. It does not matter what Goodell does in the appeal, it's going to court.

The only way the NEP get anything back is if the court so completely obliterates the Wells Report and the way the NFL conducted themselves. The ruling would have to be so clear that the idiot press would be able to turn a bunch of simple statements into headlines. Such as "Judge Rules that NFL Conspired To Harm Tom Brady and Patriots". However, my guess is that any ruling would simply over-turn TBs penalties and the NFL would get the same blowback that it got for Bountygate and Bullygate - nothing.
Conspiracy is a tort in Canada, so who knows, maybe that does somehow get in there!

Actually you are not just a passionate fan like we are. I understand your sentiment, but until your team has been target by the NFL* front office like we have you really won't understand. You can make allusions to tin hat conspiracies and all that, I can see where you are coming from, but when it is your team being targeted and you do some investigation like we have had to then you might understand.

This is not borne of paranoia, it is born of a perspective that we would prefer not to have endured.

Since 1996 the Pats have been to six Superbowls, in three of those we have had major pre-game distractions to deal with when we should have been free to concentrate on the task at hand of trying to win a Superbowl. How many other teams have had to deal with even one?

In 1996 the Rats tampered with, and ultimately stole, our future HOF HC when all of his attention should have been on trying to help the Pats win their first Superbowl ever. Later, around 2000 the Rats tried to prevent the Pats from interviewing BB for their HC position through technicalities, when Bill Parcells was not ready to leave his position with the Rats. That is when BB resigned as HC via a ****tail napkin note, after the Rats named him as HC. The fact that the only reason BB was on the Rats' staff in the first place was because, as Parcells longtime DC, he followed Parcells to the Rats when the Rats stole Parcells from the Pats. The origins of BB being on the Rats staff is lost on Rats fans when they express outrage at BB's treachery in leaving them for the Pats.

In 2007, after Spygate, a Pats writer broke the story of the Pats taping the Rams walk through, just two days before the Pats were getting ready to try and complete a perfect season. That was a major distraction that accuser Matt Walsh was unable to support, and the newspaper who the writer worked for, was forced to take out a full page retraction after the fact, but not before it had the desired effect on the Pats' Superbowl preparations.

In 2014, well you are all too familiar with Deflategate.

I could write tons more, but I'm sure you don't want to read it and I don't blame you. That is not what we watch football for, and Pats fans would like nothing better than having to defend our team against these overblown scandals that are being directed against our team. If we are just consistently good, then we would like to be able to enjoy our team's well-deserved dominance. If other teams don't like it they should just get better and beat us on the field, not try and undermine the Pats off the field, because they win too much and it isn't fair.

We rooted for a team that was the dregs of the league for a long time. We know very well how it feels to follow a loser, now we'd like to be left alone to enjoy our winner.

Now, if you are enjoying the punishments being leveled against the Pats answer me one question.

Do you know why the Pats are being docked a 1st round pick?

It should be a very significant offense to incur such a penalty wouldn't you think?

giphy.gif

To me, Kraft's capitulation trumps everything else. By saying he was going to accept the fine and the loss of the draft picks, he basically agreed that the balls were tampered with and that Brady knew about it.
I know that what I just said doesn't set well with most of the people here, so this is going to be my last post on the subject. I'm just a visitor here and the last thing I want to do is piss everyone off, because you're all just passionate NFL fans like I am.
Trolling again. And still ****ty at it.:)

To me, Kraft's capitulation trumps everything else. By saying he was going to accept the fine and the loss of the draft picks, he basically agreed that the balls were tampered with and that Brady knew about it.
I know that what I just said doesn't set well with most of the people here, so this is going to be my last post on the subject. I'm just a visitor here and the last thing I want to do is piss everyone off, because you're all just passionate NFL fans like I am.

I offer this post as Exhibit 1 as to why Kraft's self serving capitulation makes him anathema forever to Pats fans. He handed the uncurious and unthinking opposition an easy out against Brady's legacy.

We will hear this forever.

Great job Bob, "Whoops, I did it again!" Kraft.

I offer this post as Exhibit 1 as to why Kraft's self serving capitulation makes him anathema forever to Pats fans. He handed the uncurious and unthinking opposition an easy out against Brady's legacy.

I wish we could stick this message on the top of every thread on the forum.

I wish we could stick this message on the top of every thread on the forum.
Yeah then your computer desk would be covered in sticky tissues and your keyboards keys wouldn't work, so better not

I can't fault anyone for being a bit cynical or disappointed after the surprise of the Wells report's "reasoning" and Vichy Bob's abrupt cave. But those people were simply being what they are. I expect Brady to be who he is and fight this thing.

I don't believe it, but it is not beyond reason that Brady is guilty of asking eqpt guys for balls to be lowered in prior games (but not the AFCCG) if the refs had them set too high. That would fit a one game suspension deal.

Great. This is exactly what conspiracy theorists do - you disprove the issue that had the "best" evidence (which turns out to be proof that something didn't happen) and they then move onto another facet that has even less evidence. Good luck with with that theory. Perhaps it will fly on one of the other 31 teams football forums. :eek:

I'd like to tell you what my opinion is based on:

First of all, to think that an NFL owner who believes his QB is innocent, would give up a first round draft choice and $350.000, and do it "for the good of the league", is ludicrous. Any owner, even your Bob Kraft, would fight to the death if he truly believed a member of his team was innocent.

Well, Kraft believes Brady is innocent not only because he sincerely said he believed him, but also because anyone with half a brain and the willingness to research the facts without bias can reach the same conclusions:
- the footballs weren't deflated
- there is not an iota of proof that Brady ever asked for footballs to be set below 12.5
- there is evidence that Brady wouldn't even know if footballs were all dropped by 1 PSI (the largest drop this evidence could possibly show was .82) so you are left with a conspiracy theory that doesn't even benefit the prime conspirator (which a reasonable person should conclude is absurd)

And against this (and other logical reasons), you're theory is that there is some smoking gun piece of evidence that has escaped most everyone's notice (in this day and age? Really??) that somehow negates these known facts/reasonable conclusions - because you refuse to believe that Kraft may have dropped an essentially unwinnable appeal which would have continued to drag the NFL through the mud and possibly harm his status with other team owners and the ability to function effectively as a ownership leader.

Good luck with that line of reasoning.

So, you'd be fine if the NFL front office went after every team and punished them because of "public" outrage and docking them draft picks without proof? Really just based on public perception and reaction to events (which is how Goodell really bases most of his punishments).

There's seriosu issues with the Wells report and even with all the bias put into the report, the best they can come up with is "more probable than not". And, wasn't Kraft/coaches exonerated by that report too?

You're all over the map with your post (not that such is bad, but it's different issues), so I'll break it down:

Vilma's defamation suit was a separate suit from the appeals suit.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/06/3-saints-players-sue-nfl-over-bounty-punishments/

The draft picks are a team issue, and not a player issue, so they are irrelevant. (cite not needed)

Goodell's suspensions were actually vacated by a 3 member appeals panel in the Saints case.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/08/s...-suspensions-of-saints-in-bounty-scandal.html

i could be wrong but my understanding of the 3 member appeals panel stated that Goodell could still punish them for intent to injure other players and subsequently Goodell named Tags to arbitrate the matter and Tags threw out all of the suspensions and eviscerated Goodell in his ruling.

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/12/12/reading-between-the-lines-of-the-bountygate-ruling/

Last edited:
Don't forget that someone from the NFL decided to destroy the evidence to begin with. They could have kept those footballs in question and set them aside for further tests or what ever but they did'nt. They instead re-inflate those footballs and put them back in the game. That to me is extremely suspicious. Why would you not keep those footballs as evidence? We would have never needed a Wells report. That looks like a Sting + a Setup operation. May not have been but it is either sheer ignorance or a set up. Either way it will not look good in court.

This simple answer is they observed that even the COLTS footballs were far below what they should have been, based on their ignorance of the IGL and then they panicked shutting down any further measurements and decided to put the balls back in play. Thinking or being instructed at that point no evidence that could be checked against their predetermined conclusions was the best evidence. It would not surprise me if TB12 sues for defamation that we will find a number of texts and voice conversations with NFL* HQ. Which may be most revealing.

Don't hate on me Pat fans, but this is how I see it going down. Goodell gets Brady to fess up to something (not exactly sure what) and the suspension is reduced to 2 games. Both sides then say nice things about each other and everyone moves on.

You sir are acting like a TROLL and for your information, TB12 is not some Caricature created by ESPN but is a genuine Character who not only talks the game but LIVES IT on the field and off. No he is not perfect but he is genuine a true rarity in our present culture.
So you will not see him fold his tent and slither into the shadows. He will fight this and he will win! So mr acting like a TROLL leave us too our family business. GO PATS

Last edited:
Well's report aside, how does a rational Pat fan believe Bob Kraft would throw Tom Brady under the bus if he believed he was innocent. You must think Kraft is the most despicable human being on the face of the planet.
In reality it is not necessary to conclude that he is the most despicable human being on the face of the planet, that title is and always will be held by members of the bar. All that is necessary for us to conclude this judgement is to come to the understanding that Kraft chose the best business decision over the best fan decision.

This simple answer is they observed that even the COLTS footballs were far below what they should have been, based on their ignorance of the IGL and then they panicked shutting down any further measurements and decided to put the balls back in play. Thinking or being instructed at that point no evidence that could be checked against their predetermined conclusions was the best evidence. It would not surprise me if TB12 sues for defamation that we will find a number of texts and voice conversations with NFL* HQ. Which may be most revealing.

What an excellent point. You know what? I think that is what happened. That adds up in other ways as well. That's why we heard that the Colts footballs were fine via the leaks. That's why they waited 3 months to spin this. That's why they fed the wrong pressures in a not to Kraft hoping they would just say "ok you've got us".

You know Felger and Mazz love conspiracy crap but unfortunately they only love it when it's against the Pats. How did they not see this one though?

I agree with you. I think the other scenario I raises is less probable than not. :)

On the other hand, I don't think it's impossible. For one thing, while I believe that Brady isn't an outright cheater in this matter, I can't entirely rule out a secondary "Who will rid me of this meddlesome PSI?"* level of responsibility.

*For those who didn't get that reference -- ::sigh:: -- Henry II said "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?", and four of his knights went off and killed Archbishop Becket. Henry II did penance for that.

Lol, one of my favorite movies of all time. For those who haven't seen it Burton and O'Toole in Beckett are off the charts good in it, the screenwriting was as good or better than anything I have ever seen.

should be a great couple of days. Goodell will be exposed for the fraud he is.
Why so? I doubt anything from the appeal will be made public. Just the results.

by definition such folk would not be moved by a successful fight. They would believe "they got away with it (again)," not "they didn't do anything wrong. "

I'd like to tell you what my opinion is based on:

First of all, to think that an NFL owner who believes his QB is innocent, would give up a first round draft choice and $350.000, and do it "for the good of the league", is ludicrous. Any owner, even your Bob Kraft, would fight to the death if he truly believed a member of his team was innocent.

No , I believe Kraft was exposed to some info that hasn't been made available to the public, that showed something fishy happened. And now Brady is between a rock and a hard place.

Unlike many posters here, I don't believe Goodell wants to take the Patriots down a notch, but he knows he has to appear fair to everyone, to all the teams and all the fans. So he will convince Brady to step up to the mike and be contrite. Goodell will then knock 2 games off the suspension and life will go on.

I figured Felger HAD to have an account here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST