PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard Film Review : Pats vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q: why does the locker room hate RGIII? Is it another "he's not black enough thing?"

Bedard: Might be. I don't know. The whole thing seems really odd.

Bedard's AFC Power rankings, in order

NE
Den
Indy
KC
Cinn
Pitt

Felger tries to make the case that Pitt is biggest threat to NE in AFC.

Bedard: No, BB owns **** Le Beau. Sees KC as much more of a threat to NE, given the players they have and how they are set up.

Biggest toolbag owners in the league -

Bedard's:
Woody
Schneider
Jones

Mazz's:
Mark Davis
Schneider
Woody

Felger's:
Woody
Richardson
Ursay
Bischotti
Brown family

Q: What if Mark Sanchez can play?

Bedard: Jets fans are rooting for Mark to succeed. This is a good system for Sanchez. He doesn't have to read much. His feet will be a big positive. Sanchez can run better than Foles. Not sure they will go back to Foles even when he is healthy.

Mazz: It is an indictment on Rex that Sanchez is better now than on the Jets.

Caller:
You are so wrong about the 53 man roster. Talent always wins in any sport. Its the great players that always win. Also Pats don't have enough talent to win past the AFC champ. And Revis is not a shutdown CB (lol?)

Bedard:
You win in the playoffs b/c of how many bluechips you have and how well they play that day. But you can affect another teams bluechips. I think they have more than enough talent to win a SB. Losing Mayo does hurt. But this team is better, particularly in def, than 2007. Thinks the Pats can get better. Has not heard anything more about Chandler Jones status. The coaching, the game plan, the execution, was awesome all around in the Broncos game.

Brady should be a candidate for the MVP but Bedard hates the MVP award b/c it is such a regular season honor. It is so stat driven and its ridiculous. And given that the league is not regular season focused, it really makes no sense. Went on to say that the fact that Manning has so many and Brady so few shows how stupid the award is.

Mazz is now openly yearning for discord between Brady and management. WHY?

He is such a colostomy bag.

Yeah, he went on and on about how he can't wait for management to give Brady a pay cut after he wins the MVP this year. Bedard just stayed out of Mazz's cesspool.

Bedard:
14-2 (Bedard's early prediction) is looking a lot better now than a few weeks ago. There is a long way to go and there is no arguing that the Broncos have the easier road but NE has as good a chance (for the super bowl) as anyone.

thats-all-folks-7172-400x250.jpg

I don't care much about the MVP award anymore either, but the fact that Brady is now a frontrunner for the award given a month ago the local media was writing eulogies for him, that makes me pretty happy.

Caller:
You are so wrong about the 53 man roster. Talent always wins in any sport. Its the great players that always win. Also Pats don't have enough talent to win past the AFC champ. And Revis is not a shutdown CB (lol?)

Bedard:
You win in the playoffs b/c of how many bluechips you have and how well they play that day. But you can affect another teams bluechips. I think they have more than enough talent to win a SB. Losing Mayo does hurt. But this team is better, particularly in def, than 2007. Thinks the Pats can get better. Has not heard anything more about Chandler Jones status. The coaching, the game plan, the execution, was awesome all around in the Broncos game.

The 2001 Patriots says "Hello". As does the Ravens of two years ago or the 2007 Giants or 2011 Giants. The most talent team in the NFL rarely wins it all these days.

Some comments on the comments:

1. Thanks to all the posters who did the work to keep the rest of us informed. Bedard is abo ut the only reason to listen to F and M these days.

2. One of the reasons I stopped listening was I realized that most of the callers are the same dozen that call every day, and that's why so few question the incredible stupidity that spills from the 2 hosts.

3. Mazz's stupidity is particularly irritating. He makes me ashamed to be a Tufts grad.

4. It was strange that Reiss also blamed DA for Brady's pick, when it was clearly and over thrown pass. BTW- I don't think it was a bad decision to throw to DA. He was open. It was simply a case of an overthrow, or the result of a tipped pass at the LOS. It happens. Brady is great, but not perfect.

5. Interesting observations about how well the Pats defended Manning, especially on 3rd down. Great example of how good coaching can make a big difference in this league.

6. '''BTW- I am one who thought that Manning didn't stink the other night. I thought he played one of his better games against the Pats. He made a number of perfect throws to players who were covered very tightly. If he really was having a bad night he would have had a half dozen picks instead of throwing for over 400 yds.

I take comfort in that. In my mind the Pats decisively beat the Broncos on a night that Manning played very well, their receivers held on the to ball (maybe just one or 2 drops), and the Pats played less than a perfect game on both offense or defense (ST's WERE pretty much perfect)

The Broncos had all their key pieces for this game while the Pats were missing 2 of their top 4 defensive players. OTOH, the Broncos have been more than lucky with injuries SO FAR. If the Pats had had to play a perfect game to beat Denver at home, I'd have b.een worried about a future encounter. But they didn't. There is a reasonable expectation to see BOTH sides of the ball make significant improvements down the stretch, and given the schedule, they are going to have to. ;)

7. Bedard made a key point that is worth repeating. He's right when he stated the Broncos have more talent than the Pats. BUT he's also right when he states that the Pats have the better TEAM. AND THAT's why football is such a compelling game to watch. There is so much more to this game than simple physical talent, and that's true for HS teams as well as pros.

5. Interesting observations about how well the Pats defended Manning, especially on 3rd down. Great example of how good coaching can make a big difference in this league.

It can... but for big games, you've got to have the talent too. Last year, the Pats didn't. This year, even without Mayo, they do.

Bedard: Anytime you give Peyton an external factor that he isn't prepared for he doesn't adjust to that. It dosn't matter what it is, weather, defensive scheme, etc.

Yeah that sounds like an all time great. :rolleyes:

Iam sure felger is still complaining about the jets and tannebaum system is better :)
"The cap is crap!" "You're absolutely right, Mike!!!!"

LOL! Caller says Bedard doesn't know anything about football and should listen to Mazz more because he hit the nail on the head about Browner. Believes Mazz knows more about football than Bedard. Believes Bedard shouldn't be on the air.

Maybe Deus is right that people who listen to Felger and Mazz are idiots.
im with deus as far as this goes. Many are dumber than mazz

Last edited:
Funny how Deus and his minions are so silent when the team is doing well, and live on the board when they struggle.

That's not fair. Heaven knows that Deus and I have been at loggerheads often. but he tries to be utterly realistic, and ends up too often as very conventional wisdom in his positions, when it no longer applies. The dogged way he defends his pronouncements can sound arrogant and condesending, as well.

But I will always listen to his opinions first, even if I sometimes end up disagreeing with them.

Deus is a great poster and contributor to this Board.

Of course, that's my point. NE didn't do anything profound, they confused him simply by being so multiple from the same set. Once it happens, Manning knows exactly what is happening, but he loses the advantage of a preparatory pre-snap evaluation.

The problem for the Broncos passing offense is that the NE Patriots have the best secondary (top to bottom) in the NFL. When Alfonso Dennard is your healthy scratch CB, you've got a very impressive squad. When you can play man coverage on four receivers, but are willing to mix man and zone anywhere on the field, you create a lot of problems for a passing offense.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how effective playaction is when our run game is ineffective and incapable or breaking off anything big.

It's much better if a team is effective running the ball, but just the threat that a team will run is enough to buy some time for the QB to throw. This last game was a good example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST