PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard on Pats DB Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
People have been saying that for a while, with the amount of draft picks the pats have invested in that area, and the return on that invetment, it can't all be on the players, especially seeing how most of them seems to have promissing rookie seasons only to fall off the map after.

Greg Bedard is now, and pretty much always has been, a solid football writer and observer. However, this recent phenomenon in which he's somehow been elevated to a near infallible analyst based upon his weekly gig on a radio clown act show is astounding to me. Just my take, but to use a currently popular phrase it's time to pump the brakes on Greg's sudden ascension.

People have been saying that for a while, with the amount of draft picks the pats have invested in that area, and the return on that invetment, it can't all be on the players, especially seeing how most of them seems to have promissing rookie seasons only to fall off the map after.

Good point. Fresh out of college, they play well as rookies: McCourty to ProBowl, Ryan with 5 INTs.

Then after a full year working with the coaches, their play seems to diminish in the 2nd year:
McCourty in 2011 allowed 2nd most yards for CB that year. Logan Ryan = our weakest DB this year.

Good point. Fresh out of college, they play well as rookies: McCourty to ProBowl, Ryan with 5 INTs.

Then after a full year working with the coaches, their play seems to diminish in the 2nd year:
McCourty in 2011 allowed 2nd most yards for CB that year. Logan Ryan = our weakest DB this year.
That goes back to all their earlier draft pick at that position, Butler showed promise.

That goes back to all their earlier draft pick at that position, Butler showed promise.

True, Butler is another. McCourty and Ryan were just the 2 most recent ones I could remember

While I don't disagree with Bedard, obviously the #3, #4 and #5 guys at a position are not going to look as good as the #1 and #2 guys. I wouldn't expect any NFL backup to look as good at corner as Revis.

One thing we must acknowledge is that BB knows what is being taught . He is not one of those coaches who just leaves everything to his assistants without input. BB invented the nickel defense stuff in the 80s. So whatever is being taught he has to be aware of it.

Mangina was a db coach. Maybe hire him? Should be possible to hire someone who can coach. Pats can't afford bad db play.

Mangina was a db coach. Maybe hire him? Should be possible to hire someone who can coach. Pats can't afford bad db play.
he works for the 49ers. And once again, people are scared to point fingers at BB because they dont have much arguments so they keep blaming patricia and boyer. I dont disagree that all these DBs flaming out is an issue but then put it on BB. He knows what is happening or who is being drafted.

It's also worth remembering that Bedard was one of the leaders of the DeGuglielmo smear campaign earlier this season.

One thing we must acknowledge is that BB knows what is being taught . He is not one of those coaches who just leaves everything to his assistants without input. BB invented the nickel defense stuff in the 80s. So whatever is being taught he has to be aware of it.

Bingo.

This all sounds extremely fishy to me. The Pats run some of the most sophisticated defenses and coverage schemes in the league, and execute them well. I find it hard to believe that they have a bunch of glaring technical flaws due to incompetent coaching.

The Pats are paying Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner a ton of money for a reason. They are among the best at their craft. So is Aaron Rodgers. He makes plays against the best DBs in the business, and makes the rest look foolish. It isn't all bad coaching.

I've always felt that Logan Ryan is a good zone CB with FS skills, but limited in man coverage. A lesser version of Devin McCourty. He has good ball skills, but matching him up with a bigger, more physical WR in coverage isn't playing to his strengths. I'm doubt that's on Boyer.

Bingo.

This all sounds extremely fishy to me. The Pats run some of the most sophisticated defenses and coverage schemes in the league, and execute them well. I find it hard to believe that they have a bunch of glaring technical flaws due to incompetent coaching.

The Pats are paying Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner a ton of money for a reason. They are among the best at their craft. So is Aaron Rodgers. He makes plays against the best DBs in the business, and makes the rest look foolish. It isn't all bad coaching.

I've always felt that Logan Ryan is a good zone CB with FS skills, but limited in man coverage. A lesser version of Devin McCourty. He has good ball skills, but matching him up with a bigger, more physical WR in coverage isn't playing to his strengths. I'm doubt that's on Boyer.
I wont go as far as fishy. Bedard at least an opinion and he is not having any benefitting by this with any clicks or stuff and at least he is watching some film instead of making a blanket statement. Its just his opinion which doesnt need to be true.

Although I don't neccessarily disagree with Bedard, but comparing Revis to a mortal CB is not really fair. Now if Thor is ever drafted by the Pats to play CB, then we can compare his technique to Revis.

Thor may be the only one who can cover Gronk. But maybe not:

giphy.gif

It's also worth remembering that Bedard was one of the leaders of the DeGuglielmo smear campaign earlier this season.

That's because the OL sucked earlier this season, and didn't exactly cover itself in glory yesterday.

Fact: Joshie Boyer (and/or the CB teaching method he regurgitates) sucks. Period. End of Story.

Greg Bedard is now, and pretty much always has been, a solid football writer and observer. However, this recent phenomenon in which he's somehow been elevated to a near infallible analyst based upon his weekly gig on a radio clown act show is astounding to me. Just my take, but to use a currently popular phrase it's time to pump the brakes on Greg's sudden ascension.

i know, right? hes above average......but to give him a weekly thread and put him on a pedestal

i share your hope that felger puts him in his place tomorrow

That's because the OL sucked earlier this season, and didn't exactly cover itself in glory yesterday.

Fact: Joshie Boyer (and/or the CB teaching method he regurgitates) sucks. Period. End of Story.

I think the point was, Bedard was on a smear campaign and was proved to be wrong.
So you're saying that yesterday the OL coach's OL played poorly (noting it was against the GB packers in Lambeau field), they also played poorly 2 months ago, and this disproves that main point of Bedard being wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes