PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard film review :Pats vs Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a bad pass and lucky it wasn;t picked off for a T. Very poorly thrown..but otherwise was very good

GraciousEmptyImpala.gif
How do you know that it was a bad pass or if JE was in the wrong place?

Of course if his play slips to the point where playing him is detrimental to the team, then it will become an issue. However I don't see that happening before 2017.

Don't forget that Brady won his job because he was a better decision maker than the much more physically talented Drew Bledsoe in this offense that requires and rewards great decision making skills. If anything Brady's decision making is even better with well over a decade of experience. So while his physical skills slowly erode, his decision making ability should allow him to get to 40 and STILL be an adequate starter on a championship contending team.

However in 2017 a combination of a new contract and what to do with Garapolo will necessitate a hbig/hard decision. AT THAT time, all the crap we heard last week WILL become legitimate fodder for discussion.

Agreed. I always enjoy reading your posts and threads. They are very insightful. Thank you.

Actually Manny, we won 3 superbowl without a "legitimate" deep threat. Plus in each of those 3 superbowl wins Brady was playing with TE's who were only marginally better than Hooman. Go figure.

Fair point Ken, but I do think that needs the disclaimer that the game changed since '04. Point remains though. It's clearly what we need to hope for this year: Brady maximizes the offensive potential, and a strong defense carries us.

Even in a pass happy league, this can win you a title.

Last edited:
Bedard - "Jordan Devey is not a starter. Cannon - does not think quick enough to be a guard.
In my opinion, Jordan Devey does not belong in the NFL and Marcus Cannon is strictly an offensive tackle.

"Does BB need help personnel-wise?"

Pioli wasn't afraid to tell BB not to pick a player, doesn't think Caserio has the personality to do that

BB will go rogue on draft day, picking against the scouting staff all on his own (Maroney, Wilson, Harmon named as examples)
Dowling, Wilson, Harmon ..... I still cringe at those draft selections.

Gronk is still a shell of himself. Amendola has been horrible. LaFell is a WR3/WR4. Wright is still learning the system. Outside of Edelman, this may be the worst group of receivers/TE in the NFL right now. That's not anywhere near "fine". It should improve moving forward, but let's not kid ourselves about what's out there right now.

I can't really argue with most of that.

Though I will say I think people are hard on Amendola. He got beat out for his natural position by Edelman. He has been predictably fragile, yes, but if he were playing Edelman's role and getting his reps, I imagine he'd be fairly productive. That said, no, he's not a good outside receiver and doesn't offer us much with a healthy JE.

Look, it all comes down to Gronk. The guy is a beast, he changes our offense. And when he is healthy, he is one of the top 10 offensive players in the league. When you have two of the top 10 offensive players in the league, the guys around you are going to be a lot better off for it. AKA, if Gronk were himself, we would not be worried about our weaponry. We'd be worried only about the OL, which killed us in weeks 1-4, and finally showed up in week 5.

It's not exactly his fault that about half of his receptions have been wiped out by flags.

He quite possibly doesn't have those receptions without the picks, though.

As always, the offense will continue to evolve throughout the next couple months as it settles into its final shape. Perhaps by then, if some things fall right, people could be talking about the Pats O as also being "stacked." My predictions/wish-list:

1. A serious commitment to the run (and the threat of the run) via the continued implementation of 2-back and 2-TE sets. (Plenty more of Develin & Wright to come.)

2. I think/hope that a combination of Tyms & Dobson (probably not in that order) begin to take over LaFell's snaps, though I'd expect a gradual transition. When in game shape -- it's possibly neither of them are quite yet -- they both have roughly the same size but better speed. Just need to find ONE dude who can emerge as that coveted "deep threat."

3. Tyms/Dobson could cut into DA's playing time as well, but I admit the possibility that DA could show improvement the further away we get from that surgery.

4. I really think Gronk is still only some 60% of where he is going to be by the season's end. (Particularly as it concerns pass/run blocking, but also with his speed and explosiveness.) I look forward to the day he sheds that arm brace and can stretch out for some balls.

However, this is all contingent on:

5. Consistent OL play. I think some continuity should help the line find its groove. It also seemed having veteran presences at at both G spots helped to calm down the play at T a bit on Sunday.

Credits Wendell for solidifying the o-line (who would have thought going into the season?)

Monster game though. Best of his career.

I have been objective and given Deus dozens and dozens of likes. This thread for instance Ive given him one for defending Brady.

Ive been purposefully mature and restrained about giving him Dislikes.

Each of the three times TOTAL Ive Disliked a post of Deus' he has popped out from behind his Ignore shield to call me a troll and insult me with something just narcissistically over the top.

I'd Dislike this post, but I'm afraid of the consequences.

:)

Yeah, I think you can manually and he has responded to posts that respond to my post with comments that he would not say unless he saw my original post.

I don't have an Ignore list here. But on boards where I do, I'm not afraid to click through to a particular post by a person on Ignore.

"Does BB need help personnel-wise?"

Pioli wasn't afraid to tell BB not to pick a player, doesn't think Caserio has the personality to do that

BB will go rogue on draft day, picking against the scouting staff all on his own (Maroney, Wilson, Harmon named as examples)

I'm trying to imagine the reliable sourcing for that. It seems like an easy claim to be wrong about.

I didn't think it was a bad pass. I think it was just a bad route by Edelmen. Brady was throwing to the first down marker. I think Brady was thinking of a back shoulder throw to Edelmen at the first down marker but Edelmen rounded off the route and was two yards short of the first down marker. He was throwing to where he thought Edelmen would be and not where he ended up at..

Good point. It might actually have been a good plan for Edelman to go to where he was more open short of the marker, and rely on his wiggle to get the first down, but I have trouble imagining how that policy could be baked into the offensive scheme; the QB can't be expected to see it as the WR does to that fine level of detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes