PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard film review :Pats vs Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.
F&M - Brady was owed a call about the drafting of Jimmy G
Bedard - Brady was not owed a call

I side with Bedard on this one.

Professor Stephen Hawking - The Universe as we know it started with the Big Bang
Homer Simpson - And God said "Let there be Bud Light!"

I side with Hawking on this one.

Last edited:
i never call into radio shows and such but tempted to call in and just say that ' you two are...$$%%%' and hang up. maybe all patsfans can do that one after the other :)

You DO understand there is a 10 second delay?

This was a bad pass and lucky it wasn;t picked off for a T. Very poorly thrown..but otherwise was very good

GraciousEmptyImpala.gif

On Bills

Tough matchup
Decent OL
Outstanding DL
Connolly, Wendell, Stork have their work cut out for them

Kind of team that just needs the QB to not screw things up
The bills DL worries me, especially in that loud stadium. Its going to be the same challenge as the chiefs game.

Some comments on the comments:

1. I Don't always agree with Bedard, but I love to hear what he has to say because he does the hard work, so at least I know his OPINION is coming from a place of relative knowledge. I say relative knowledge because its still important to remember he doesn't have access to everyone's responsibilities on each play, nor does he have the line calls or post snap reads, like the staff would. HOWEVER relative to the rest of world who are making judgements on the execution on the field, Bedard is can't miss radio (even though Mazz makes it almost impossible to make it through the segment). And if you can't get the segment this thread is equally a can't miss read.

2. Re: Thompkins release: I think his release was less about any problems he was having on the field or off it, than it was more about a roster necessity of adding another LB, combined with a game plan (2 TE's) that made WR's less of a need this particular week. Plus add to that the potential of adding a bigger and more athletic WR in Tyms who might have been viewed as having just as much long term potential, simply made Tompkins the most likely cut......for that week. I take Bill at his word that, had he made it through waivers he would have been resigned either to the PS or eventually (given injuries) the 53.

I think Thomkins isn't a "difference making" WR, but I do believe he can have a solid career at the position. But I also believe there are a lot of guys who can give the Pats what he had to offer.

3. I think this talk about a "pop gun" offense is just BS. Brady has plenty of weapons. He has TWO plus RB's. He has the best TE target in the league, especially in the redzone. (And Wright gives him a legit second TE target) He has a proven 1000 yd WR in Edelman who shows signs of being much more than just another white slot receiver, and a couple of big wide outs in Dobson and LaFell. One who is a proven vet and another who is a good young prospect.

Believe me, if you think about it, Brady has gotten a LOT of wins with a lot less. The key of course is whether we see the OL we saw vs Cinci, or the OL you saw against KC. IF this OL can eventually get to some sort of successful consistency, then we will start to see a LOT of 30+ point games out of this offense. I mean, didn't the Pats have the 2nd or 3rd best scoring offense LAST season, despite the injury, WR, and sack woes?!!. If the OL comes together I think this O can be better than last season.

4. As to whether Tom retires as a Patriot, Bedard is completely on point. In 2017 it WILL become a legitimate issue, but until then, any attempt at trying to make this a current issue is being done by mediots merely to annoy us.

God nose..............

Animal-pictures-of-the-week.jpg

Some comments on the comments:

1. I Don't always agree with Bedard, but I love to hear what he has to say because he does the hard work, so at least I know his OPINION is coming from a place of relative knowledge. I say relative knowledge because its still important to remember he doesn't have access to everyone's responsibilities on each play, nor does he have the line calls or post snap reads, like the staff would. HOWEVER relative to the rest of world who are making judgements on the execution on the field, Bedard is can't miss radio (even though Mazz makes it almost impossible to make it through the segment). And if you can't get the segment this thread is equally a can't miss read.

2. Re: Thompkins release: I think his release was less about any problems he was having on the field or off it, than it was more about a roster necessity of adding another LB, combined with a game plan (2 TE's) that made WR's less of a need this particular week. Plus add to that the potential of adding a bigger and more athletic WR in Tyms who might have been viewed as having just as much long term potential, simply made Tompkins the most likely cut......for that week. I take Bill at his word that, had he made it through waivers he would have been resigned either to the PS or eventually (given injuries) the 53.

I think Thomkins isn't a "difference making" WR, but I do believe he can have a solid career at the position. But I also believe there are a lot of guys who can give the Pats what he had to offer.

3. I think this talk about a "pop gun" offense is just BS. Brady has plenty of weapons. He has TWO plus RB's. He has the best TE target in the league, especially in the redzone. (And Wright gives him a legit second TE target) He has a proven 1000 yd WR in Edelman who shows signs of being much more than just another white slot receiver, and a couple of big wide outs in Dobson and LaFell. One who is a proven vet and another who is a good young prospect.

Believe me, if you think about it, Brady has gotten a LOT of wins with a lot less. The key of course is whether we see the OL we saw vs Cinci, or the OL you saw against KC. IF this OL can eventually get to some sort of successful consistency, then we will start to see a LOT of 30+ point games out of this offense. I mean, didn't the Pats have the 2nd or 3rd best scoring offense LAST season, despite the injury, WR, and sack woes?!!. If the OL comes together I think this O can be better than last season.

4. As to whether Tom retires as a Patriot, Bedard is completely on point. In 2017 it WILL become a legitimate issue, but until then, any attempt at trying to make this a current issue is being done by mediots merely to annoy us.

Why do you think it won't become an issue until 2017? If Belichick thinks Brady's play is slipping history tells us he lets go of players a few years early while they still have value. Don't get me wrong, I want Brady to retire a patriot but Belichick isn't afraid to make hard decisions.

Agree Ken - with a decent OL, the weapons are fine. The problem is everyone wants to compare us to Denver, which is not a fair comparison. That offense is completely stacked.

Putting Denver aside, Brady has the weapons to work with, and Gronk alone gives this offense huge potential. Unless Dobson reaches his potential, we'll still lack a legitimate deep threat - but we've gotten to a SB without one (granted, maybe we lost that game b/c we didn't have one, but I digress).

Like you said, the problem is the OL. If the OL struggles, we won't score. But Gronk + Edelman + Vereen is nothing to sneeze at.

Why do you think it won't become an issue until 2017? If Belichick thinks Brady's play is slipping history tells us he lets go of players a few years early while they still have value. Don't get me wrong, I want Brady to retire a patriot but Belichick isn't afraid to make hard decisions.
Of course if his play slips to the point where playing him is detrimental to the team, then it will become an issue. However I don't see that happening before 2017.

Don't forget that Brady won his job because he was a better decision maker than the much more physically talented Drew Bledsoe in this offense that requires and rewards great decision making skills. If anything Brady's decision making is even better with well over a decade of experience. So while his physical skills slowly erode, his decision making ability should allow him to get to 40 and STILL be an adequate starter on a championship contending team.

However in 2017 a combination of a new contract and what to do with Garapolo will necessitate a hbig/hard decision. AT THAT time, all the crap we heard last week WILL become legitimate fodder for discussion.

This was a bad pass and lucky it wasn;t picked off for a T. Very poorly thrown..but otherwise was very good

GraciousEmptyImpala.gif
I didn't think it was a bad pass. I think it was just a bad route by Edelmen. Brady was throwing to the first down marker. I think Brady was thinking of a back shoulder throw to Edelmen at the first down marker but Edelmen rounded off the route and was two yards short of the first down marker. He was throwing to where he thought Edelmen would be and not where he ended up at..

Last edited:
but we've gotten to a SB without one (granted, maybe we lost that game b/c we didn't have one, but I digress)..
Actually Manny, we won 3 superbowl without a "legitimate" deep threat. Plus in each of those 3 superbowl wins Brady was playing with TE's who were only marginally better than Hooman. Go figure.

I didn't think it was a bad pass. I think it was just a bad route by Edelmen. Brady was throwing to the first down marker. I think Brady was thinking of a back shoulder throw to Edelmen at the first down marker but Edelmen rounded off the route and was two yards short of the first down marker. He was throwing to where he thought Edelmen would be and not where he was.

Bingo.. if you don't see the first down marker the entire sequence looks like a horrible throw. But if you take the trajectory of the pass into account and combine it with the location of the first down marker it is pretty clear what Brady thought would happen.

Now, whether this misunderstanding is on Brady or Edelman is difficult to judge. But once again the issue here is not related to accuracy.

Thanks, guys. Great thread to scan while sitting through a stultifying meeting.

Bedard deserves better than Squeaky and Douche, neither understands anything about football.

On Thompkins being cut, there is no mystery that it came when Tyms (6'3" 210) came off suspension.

Tyms, LaFell, and Wright is an interesting group of big receivers assembled for 2014.

If you noted what we've seen so far from LaFell and Wright, and the group expands to include production from Tyms and a healthy Dobson, the offense expands and the running backs have lots more room on the edges. On Sunday night we saw what Vereen and Ridley can do when the secondary and linebackers are otherwise occupied.

I didn't think it was a bad pass. I think it was just a bad route by Edelmen. Brady was throwing to the first down marker. I think Brady was thinking of a back shoulder throw to Edelmen at the first down marker but Edelmen rounded off the route and was two yards short of the first down marker. He was throwing to where he thought Edelmen would be and not where he ended up at..

Could be. Maybe Edelman didn't go deep enough as Brady was expecting him too..or it was just badly thrown.

Could be. Maybe Edelman didn't go deep enough as Brady was expecting him too..or it was just badly thrown.

Honestly it was probably a combination of the two. Even if Edelmen had been where Brady thought he would be, it looked like the football sailed a little high and to the right. That I think would have made the throw back towards the defender rather then away from the defender and more towards the sidelines. The most telling point is the defender was there when the ball reached the first down marker. That shouldn't have happened regardless if Edelmen ran the right route or not.

Thanks, guys. Great thread to scan while sitting through a stultifying meeting.

Bedard deserves better than Squeaky and Douche, neither understands anything about football.

On Thompkins being cut, there is no mystery that it came when Tyms (6'3" 210) came off suspension.

Tyms, LaFell, and Wright is an interesting group of big receivers assembled for 2014.

If you noted what we've seen so far from LaFell and Wright, and the group expands to include production from Tyms and a healthy Dobson, the offense expands and the running backs have lots more room on the edges. On Sunday night we saw what Vereen and Ridley can do when the secondary and linebackers are otherwise occupied.

I agree with your comment on Thompkins. Thompkins was at the bottom of the depth chart when it came to WR on the active 53 roster. With Tyms coming off suspension, it looked like they valued the potential of Tyms more then Thompkins. I think they really wanted Thompkins to make it to the PS but they also knew they were exposing him to be picked up by another team. With Tyms now being available they were willing to take the gamble.

I don't get it. Felger used to be well informed even when he was a contrarian. Now he is just a contrarian without anything behind his arguments other than stupidity.

I think he and Mazz have gotten to comfortable in their job and their ratings dominance. Their show has gone way down hill. They just like to stir crap up just to stir crap up.
That show downright sucks. They used be halfway decent , but cant listen to Mazz anymore the guy is utterly clueless.

Have since gone back to listen to Dale and Holley

Agree Ken - with a decent OL, the weapons are fine. The problem is everyone wants to compare us to Denver, which is not a fair comparison. That offense is completely stacked.

Putting Denver aside, Brady has the weapons to work with, and Gronk alone gives this offense huge potential. Unless Dobson reaches his potential, we'll still lack a legitimate deep threat - but we've gotten to a SB without one (granted, maybe we lost that game b/c we didn't have one, but I digress).

Gronk is still a shell of himself. Amendola has been horrible. LaFell is a WR3/WR4. Wright is still learning the system. Outside of Edelman, this may be the worst group of receivers/TE in the NFL right now. That's not anywhere near "fine". It should improve moving forward, but let's not kid ourselves about what's out there right now.

Like you said, the problem is the OL. If the OL struggles, we won't score. But Gronk + Edelman + Vereen is nothing to sneeze at.

It is true that Gronk/Edelman/Vereen is nothing to sneeze at. That's because the sneeze might knock one of them out for 6-8 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes