PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Clock Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

newenglandsports11

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Unbelievable what happened after that first down with 2:30 I think it was. Used the timeouts (smartly) and before the two minute warning and then managed from there. Sure, some luck was in there, namely the Giants throwing first and second down (and the Beckham no catch coming with 2:01 as opposed to 2) but you can't overlook the fact that he is undoubtedly the best clock manager in the NFL with no one close to him.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, every time I watch another NFL Game am amazed with how poorly they manage the clock.

We take this for granted, and BB has raised it to an art form.. another thing we take for granted.

I figured he told Amendola to take the touchback if the kickoff reached the end zone, no matter what. It's the quickest way to advance the ball twenty yards, taking no time at all. Much smarter than taking the odds of gaining some additional yards, at the risk of being stopped short of the twenty with more time run off the clock. Subtle nuances, Belichick is consistent on those.

And Coughlin one of the worst clock managers. The unstoppable force (Belichick clock managment) vs the immovable object (Coughlin clock management). The unstoppable force won.

Good decisions come from experience.

Experience comes from bad decisions.

Reminds me of Santayana's quote that "Those who fail to learn from experience are doomed to repeat it." Coach is a master football history. He's also the master of situational football. You can say what you will, but he's always thinking 2-3 steps ahead of the game. It may seem trite, but it's true. Other coaches are playing checkers. He's playing 3D chess.

Comparison to Rogers begging McCarthy in vain to take a timeout in the espn highlights made it even more clear who is the best.

Before the final kick i was begging for a scuff kick or onsider to burn that ONE second, and what does he do? one of only 2-3 coaches that would be that smart to burn the clock. Giants played that out really well (probably got away with 2or 3 intentional fumble laterals), but BB decision to onside screwed their strategy of laterals and supporting blocking scheme.

In hindsight I'm just glad the kick reached the EZ. I wonder if like Gost at the end he consciously tried not to kick it out.

Can someone explain why it is better to take the timeouts before the two minute warning vs after? Isn't it esestially the same thing?

I thought they would run the ball and leave us with not enough time to score a TD or FG. They ended up throwing it every time, thanks.

CT5ZozWVEAA2IT-.jpg

Can someone explain why it is better to take the timeouts before the two minute warning vs after? Isn't it esestially the same thing?

When taken before the 2 min warning you get the benefit of controlling how much time runs off the clock between downs and also pressuring the opponents into thinking a few steps ahead ie clock management - this is exactly what caused the odd Giants playcalling - esp the 3rd down roll out and flop.

Basically the quicker you call the timouts the quicker you force your opponents hand.

I didnt like the use of the timeouts, we caught a huge break that harris caught a pass down the sideline to make it first and goal, while also getting out of bounds

Without a doubt, every time I watch another NFL Game am amazed with how poorly they manage the clock.

We take this for granted, and BB has raised it to an art form.. another thing we take for granted.

Seriously . . . when the Patriots screw up the clock management, it's a real WTF? moment.

I figured he told Amendola to take the touchback if the kickoff reached the end zone, no matter what. It's the quickest way to advance the ball twenty yards, taking no time at all. Much smarter than taking the odds of gaining some additional yards, at the risk of being stopped short of the twenty with more time run off the clock. Subtle nuances, Belichick is consistent on those.
I was thinking what a smart play kneeling just inside goal line as normally you see idiots run it out to around the 20 and burn precious seconds.

And of course, numb nuts Simms moments later questions DA's decision haha.

It is more a matter of taking them when the other team has Control of the ball & clock and can run Off 30 secs with a run play. Without Timeouts when you are on O, you can stop clock with incompletes, run out of bounds or spike. So you try and force them to run as many of their plays before 2:00 as possible

But also it forces the other Team to make constrained play call decision, call a 1yd run to burn clock when a 5yd 1st down pass wins the game.

Plus the other Team can screw up and leave you more time (like Giants), if you just let them run the clock that Time is gone forever

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes