PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

9-3 feels great...but something is still missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, football is a TEAM sport: offense, defense, special teams

It is, but I would not consider the Ravens to be a potent offense. The STATS say they are top 10, but thats really deceiving unless they can depend special teams and defensive scores every game.

I am positive that the 2011 NE offense is one of the best in the NFL and that the Ravens offense pales in comparison.

- which of the injured players would have made a difference yesterday?

None. Ok, maybe Connelly and I'm not even sure about that one.

Assuming Denver/Green Bay and New England win next week, what will be the bigger story. Brady vs Tebow or Green Bay going for their 14th win?

Win or lose this week, Denver & New England. Tebow = Cash and ratings, especially if he's up against the other master of comebacks, Tom Brady who also = cash and ratings. Tebow is all over TV now and he's yet to do anything spectacular.

I don't think no-one cares about GB going to beat up some beat up KC Chief team that was beat up before the injuries.

Last edited:
The defense is horrible, they make me sick every Sunday. So did Brady for a 3-game stretch. But the fact is, there's not really that GREAT of a team playing in the NFL this year, especially the AFC. I haven't really seen a team in the division that looks all that great or any better than NE, except the Ravens defense and that defense ain't gonna win them playoff games either without an offense, as proven in the past 3 years. I think Brady is more likely to carry the Pats further than Ray Lewis will those Ravens.

At the moment 49ers is the only team that really stands out to me.

The rest- Packers, Saints, Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Cowboys and Giants are on about the same level as the Patriots. It could go either way for these teams, except I would choose NE over them in a heartbeat.

It is, but I would not consider the Ravens to be a potent offense. The STATS say they are top 10, but thats really deceiving unless they can depend special teams and defensive scores every game.

I am positive that the 2011 NE offense is one of the best in the NFL and that the Ravens offense pales in comparison.
While the offensive comparison may be true:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2011 OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

The defensive comparison is skewed even more in the Ravens favor:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2011 DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

So have the Steelers.

Tennessee
New England
Cincinnati

What is your point?

He has no point.

That's never stopped him from making pointless points.

Maybe that's the point.

Ofcourse, the real question is what kind of knucklehead gets all worked up about a team that goes into the 4th quarter winning 31-3 and gives up some points because they are doing pre-playoff evaluations?

This team's missing both a defense and an outside receiver who can beat press man coverage.

That's why they record isn't inspiring more chest beating among Patriots fans. The fans are smart enough to know a flawed team when they see one, and they see major flaws with this team.

The good news is that a bye would mean only 2 playoff games to get to the Super Bowl, with only 1 of those even possibly being on the road.

This edition of the Patriots defense is not complete, but it does have talent and toughness in the front four with quality depth. They are tough in the Red Zone and very tough inside the ten yard line when the defense is compressed. They get good leverage against opposing offensive lines and good penetration in the gaps from the linebackers in the short yardage game.

Getting Spikes back to go along with Mayo and Ninkovich is a good, if not great, linebacking corps. A sound group with good speed and depth behind them.

The defensive backfield is the weak link (duh.) Safety Nate Jones looked pretty good out there. I like his experience to pair with Chung. McCourty and Arrington at the corners is fine. Excellent closing speed and solid cover skills. The patchwork so far has accelerated Arrington's development and leadership. I love the Slater experiment. Match speed with speed, good hands and tackling experience from special teams.

The good news is that Chung and McCourty can take the time they need to get well. Upcoming QBs stink. Grossman and Beck stink. The Anti-Tebow defense should stress run blitzing linebackers from all over the field.

Last edited:
Of course something is missing..no SB parade!

I still feel like we're not yet ready for Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I feel like if the playoffs come, and Brady doesn't play a spectacular game, we will lose. I just hope Brady and the offense are ready to bring their A game to every postseason game we play this year, because they're are only hope. We can't expect out soft defense to suddenly come alive in the playoffs, it's wishful thinking. It will come down to how stud like our offense performs.

9-3 is excellent for this team, # 1 in the AFC right now. I would love to get homefield advantage.

I have to agree. The Pats were an overrated 14-2 team last year, shockingly winning 14 games despite the toughest schedule in football. BUT, they had no defense. This year the defense is even worse, as is the running game. Too many holes in this team. I can't see this team winning more than one playoff game. Hopefully they actually use BOTH #1 picks this year to fill wholes, though I doubt it. I think they finally use one of their #1 picks
In 2025.

If you delve into our pass defense statistics, I think one interesting thing is that while we have some of the worst numbers against teams' #1 receivers that you'll ever see, our numbers against #2 and #3 receivers (and RB's) are actually pretty good.

The thing is, theres no real great QB in the AFC who can exploit our secondary. If we had to go through brees, rodgers, even stafford I would be worried...but the best QB we may have to face would be Ben Roethlisberger..and the steelers(despite beating us earlier) have generally been a favorable matchup for us.

we may give up alot of yards, but we get redzone stops and actually pressure the QB this year! which is why we are 10th in pts allowed.

the real key is going to be our Offensive line. we lost against the Jets because we could only muster 3points for most of the game. If you can keep brady standing, and create holes so that you can run the ball. that means you can build a lead and hold it.

I have to agree. The Pats were an overrated 14-2 team last year, shockingly winning 14 games despite the toughest schedule in football. BUT, they had no defense. This year the defense is even worse, as is the running game. Too many holes in this team. I can't see this team winning more than one playoff game. Hopefully they actually use BOTH #1 picks this year to fill wholes, though I doubt it. I think they finally use one of their #1 picks
In 2025.

see, I just dont see any basis for these statements.

yards wise we may be worse...but last year we had NO pass rush. this year we actually have one. and we are top 10 in points allowed.

and stats would suggest that we have a decent running game. sure we didnt utilize BJGE against the Colts, but IMO that was more a product of not wanting to injure him

see, I just dont see any basis for these statements.

yards wise we may be worse...but last year we had NO pass rush. this year we actually have one. and we are top 10 in points allowed.

and stats would suggest that we have a decent running game. sure we didnt utilize BJGE against the Colts, but IMO that was more a product of not wanting to injure him

This defense has gotten worse every year since 2007, with the exception of 2009.

Last edited:
This defense has gotten worse every year since 2007, with the exception of 2009.

you can at least admit that we have a better pass rush right now than last year, No??

I still say if our defense was as bad as everyone is saying it is, we wouldnt be 10th in the league in Points allowed per game.

you can at least admit that we have a better pass rush right now than last year, No??

Yes

I still say if our defense was as bad as everyone is saying it is, we wouldnt be 10th in the league in Points allowed per game.

It's a terrible defense that gets protected by excellent coaching. It's the same thing that's been happening for years.

Points allowed:

2006 - 237
2007 - 274
2008 - 309
2009 - 285
2010 - 313
2011 (so far) - 247 (on pace to allow 329)

Stats, stats....... Why don't you go back and look through who the number one scoring defense was for every year. Then tell me if that team won or appeared in the SB. I am not saying defense does'nt matter, but clutch defense does. Redzone and 3rd down. This team has of late looked better in both regards.
Please don't give me stats. What have you seen recently. For example, Vince Young was 0 for whatever on third down prior to the 4th. Now I might have the wrong game but the point is that as of late early in games they have excelled on third down and red zone as far back as Pitt....

Stats, stats....... Why don't you go back and look through who the number one scoring defense was for every year. Then tell me if that team won or appeared in the SB. I am not saying defense does'nt matter, but clutch defense does. Redzone and 3rd down. This team has of late looked better in both regards.
Please don't give me stats. What have you seen recently. For example, Vince Young was 0 for whatever on third down prior to the 4th. Now I might have the wrong game but the point is that as of late early in games they have excelled on third down and red zone as far back as Pitt....

Ok, now we're going to ignore points scored after everyone was trying to defend the defense by saying that points allowed was all that mattered? :bricks:

The defense is lousy, mostly in the back seven, and particularly in the secondary. That's just the current reality for the Patriots. Just like last year, people are buying into a few games against stiff teams and allowing themselves to buy the improvement fantasy. Will it be different this year than last? Will there be some genuine improvement?

I hope so, because I'm tired of Belichick pissing away Brady's best years.

Last edited:

2008 steelers #1 in points SB winners
2009 New York Jets played in the AFCCG
2010 steelers lost the SB

say what you want they all got deeper in the playoffs then the pats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye