PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 free agents that could rock the Flying Elvis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. It seems that anyone who leaves under bitter circumstances never returns.
Nah, it was just a thought. He and Brady stayed in contact after he left.
Hm. Branch left before I really got to know the Pats, why did he get cut loose? $$$, or something else?
$$$. The Patriots were willing to pay him pretty much what he wanted but they wanted the new money to start after his rookie contract expired whereas Branch wanted the money a year early.

A healthy Branch would be a tremendous #2 outside receiver for this lineup.

Of course, a healthy Branch is rarer than honesty in Washington D.C. these days.

A healthy Branch would be a tremendous #2 outside receiver for this lineup.

Of course, a healthy Branch is rarer than honesty in Washington D.C. these days.

I'll take my chances, if Seattle ever cut Branch, I would have Branch on the first flight over here. I've said this many times before, but if you asked me who could take the juggernaut that is the Brady-Moss-Welker offense and take it one step further, its Deion Branch. He's literally the perfect complement to Moss b/c of his skills, and where he flourishes on the field, which is in that intermediate range.

Please let Deion Branch be a cap casualty. And please let him have the common sense to come back and play w Brady. The offense would be horrifying to face.

Last edited:
I'll take my chances, if Seattle ever cut Branch, I would have Branch on the first flight over here. I've said this many times before, but if you asked me who could take the juggernaut that is the Brady-Moss-Welker offense and take it one step further, its Deion Branch. He's literally the perfect complement to Moss b/c of his skills, and where he flourishes on the field, which is in that intermediate range.

Please let Deion Branch be a cap casualty. And please let him have the common sense to come back and play w Brady. The offense would be horrifying to face.

I'm giddy thinking about this. Double team Moss? No Problem, hit Welker in the Middle. Somehow take both of them out of the game? Well, you have Brady's former favorite target. Add in a good blocking TE and this offense would rival last year's production.

I'm giddy thinking about this. Double team Moss? No Problem, hit Welker in the Middle. Somehow take both of them out of the game? Well, you have Brady's former favorite target. Add in a good blocking TE and this offense would rival last year's production.

Yup, makes me giddy, too. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much, a lot of things would have to happen for Branch to return to New England...

But, if Branch ever hit the open market, you know Brady would be clamoring for his return - and TB has a lot of sway with BB and Kraft.

I'd take back any negative thing I ever said about Branch during the holdout & trade...Branch was as good a route runner as you'll see and quick as hell. He also had a c*ckiness and nastiness that this team needs. He was pretty damn clutch, too.

The part I emphasized is exactly why I didn't buy into the "we need another deep threat" argument last season. A player like Branch, who can take the pressure off of Welker on short routes and can really excel in the middle range could make this team devastating on all 3 levels of the field. I've never been a huge Gaffney fan, and Watson is a nice receiver on the intermediate levels, but he's oft-injured and seems to have a real issue with anticipating contact.

Of course, I would prefer that the Patriots somehow fleece the Lions out of Calvin Johnson.

The only position that the Pats might go after a FA is the position that a draftee can't play successfully without a few years of acclimation.

That is pass rushing OLB. BB has signed others there before but I don't think there is anyone available.

As a probable unanticipated target of opportunity, I suggest that Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson might join the Team

Ocho + Cinco = Cancer. I'd rather have TJ Whosyourdaddy instead of him, but I'm afraid that even TJ's attitude has been corrupted beyond repair.

We need to spend whatever FA $$ will be available on Defense.

The patriots have too much talent and too much veterans on the team and good coaching, cancer wont be a problem.

The patriots have too much talent and too much veterans on the team and good coaching, cancer wont be a problem.

agreed....

But why take the chance? A better path to follow might be to sign somebody like Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins or Brandon Jones, draft - no earlier than the middle rounds - a WR of the Future, and use the $$ saved on Ohno Cancer to sign a couple of DBs, or a DB and an OLB.

The part I emphasized is exactly why I didn't buy into the "we need another deep threat" argument last season. A player like Branch, who can take the pressure off of Welker on short routes and can really excel in the middle range could make this team devastating on all 3 levels of the field. I've never been a huge Gaffney fan, and Watson is a nice receiver on the intermediate levels, but he's oft-injured and seems to have a real issue with anticipating contact.

Of course, I would prefer that the Patriots somehow fleece the Lions out of Calvin Johnson.

Well, I guess Even Calvin Johnson isn't untouchable, but even so, I don't see the Lions parting with him unfortunately.

Branch is slightly more realistic, but either way, I don't want to get my hopes up. I think the point is that - surprisingly - 3rd WR might be one of the most efficient ways to upgrade this team. I agree with your feelings on Gaffney and Watson - they're both good, fine players. But a quicker 3rd WR who can get into the intermediate range - and Stallworth was not that guy - who has the suddenness & shiftiness to get open, would turn our offense into something even more scary. And make our team that much harder to beat, giving the team a little bit more time developing on the defensive side of the ball.

I must say that if Deion Branch were across from Randy Moss, it would make it a little more difficult (or impossible) for the Giants to pull off the upset they did in the SB.

Last edited:
But why take the chance? A better path to follow might be to sign somebody like Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins or Brandon Jones, draft - no earlier than the middle rounds - a WR of the Future, and use the $$ saved on Ohno Cancer to sign a couple of DBs, or a DB and an OLB.

You sign Johnson instead of Clayton because Johnson is a quality NFL receiver and Clayton isn't.

That would be great if Branch returns. However, I'm worried about him being injury prone.

Chad Johnson is not a FA, so acquiring him would cost not only the remainder of his contract, but also one or more draft picks. I just don't see him being worth the $$ or the draft pick(s), or the potential headaches. There are other fish in the ocean of WRs. Michael Clayton & the like may not be caviar, but I kinda like the simple, inexpensive, consistent can o' tuna fish, anyway.

Chad Johnson is not a FA, so acquiring him would cost not only the remainder of his contract, but also one or more draft picks. I just don't see him being worth the $$ or the draft pick(s), or the potential headaches. There are other fish in the ocean of WRs. Michael Clayton & the like may not be caviar, but I kinda like the simple, inexpensive, consistent can o' tuna fish, anyway.

So, what you're basically saying is that you've never actually seen Clayton play....?

So, what you're basically saying is that you've never actually seen Clayton play....?

I thought Michael Clayton was a fixer?

7693.jpg

What I'm saying is that I don't want Ohno Cancer on this team at the price it would take to acquire him. I just don't understand the fascination with this malcontent a-hole. If you don't like the underachieving Clayton, that I can understand; but there will be other WRs available next year, too, at a fraction of the cost, and who also will be good fits on the Pats.

TJ? Hm. I think Chad Johnson fits that descriptor, but I never really saw any offensive behaviour from Hoosh.

I saw Kerry Rhodes there too. That wouldn't be too bad. Might get him in a trade with the Jesters...

"On April 9, 2008 Kerry signed an extension with the Jets for 5 years worth similar to the five-year, $37.5 million contract that Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders signed in December. Rhodes deal is worth for $33.5 million, with $20 million guaranteed." -Wikipedia

I think that Kerry Rhodes is off the market.

BTW if I were targeting a guy it would be Asomugha, but all indications are that Oakland plans to throw as much cash at him as needed to keep him. Then again if the money was equal, would he prefer to remain in the stinking armpit that is Oakland or play with a perennial championship contender like the Pats?

Last edited:
Interesting point on stud #3 WR being an easy upgrade to just plop in.

I don't see spending a lot of money on outside FAs overall. Too many in-house guys to re-sign. Unless, of course, they think the cap will go away altogether soon.

They're going to have to do something different at CB. Just as they finally drafted LBs high, realizing the old way wasn't working, they may have to pay up more to keep their own FAs (i.e., Hobbs) when they're hitting FA. I don't agree that they've been doing badly on draft and UDFA w/ DBs. Samuel was a Pro Bowler, and Wilson, Meriweather (sort of), Sanders, Hobbs, and Gay have all been starters. That's a lot of full or partial successes, especially given that only two of those were earlier than the 3rd round.

Woods is apt to go the way of TBC in another year. Making roster room for his replacement is a possibility by using Eric Alexander's slot on an OLB instead. But with Ruud and Redd in the mix, and Bruschi probably not retiring yet, that's far from a given.

Yeah, I know I talked more about the draft than FAs. So sue me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST