PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 free agents that could rock the Flying Elvis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe he hasn't found a better SS? Ever since Sanders has been back there at secondary, big plays have been given up. Sanders isn't horrible, but we can definantly upgrade the position.

Now that I can agree with. Sanders is not the best safety in the NFL, so an upgrade is clearly possible. The question, however, isn't whether or not it is possible, but whether or not it is both feasible and economically sensible.

I'm looking for a CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Dunta Robinson, or Chris Gamble.

And it think we should take a look at pass-rushers. I know Terrell Suggs is gonna be a FA.

Or maybe he hasn't found a better SS? Ever since Sanders has been back there at secondary, big plays have been given up. Sanders isn't horrible, but we can definantly upgrade the position.

Are you saying that the Pats didn't give up big plays prior to 2005?

Can Sander's be upgraded? Sure. I'm not sure who is available as a free agent, but I don't believe that there is anyone in the draft who can come in and replace Sanders right out of TC.

TJ is a good #1 or very good #2. Both those spots are taken on the Patriots. Asomugha will be the best CB FA out there, and he will be overpaid just not on the Patriots. The Giants will not let Jacobs go. He'll either get franchised or receive a NY sized contract.

My list starts off with...
Matt Cassel
Russ Hochstein
James Sanders
Heath Evans

At this point I don't think we will be making big splashes in FA in the next few years. There are some current players (Wilfork) that need extending first. Also, there are a lot of starters whose contracts are up after the 2009 season.
I would add Jabar Gaffney, Lonie Paxton, and Mike Wright to your
list. I can't see the Patriots putting a franchise tag on Matt Cassel
because it would probably put them in a salary cap bind.

I'm looking for a CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Dunta Robinson, or Chris Gamble.

And it think we should take a look at pass-rushers. I know Terrell Suggs is gonna be a FA.

Is Suggs really a pass rusher?

Now that I can agree with. Sanders is not the best safety in the NFL, so an upgrade is clearly possible. The question, however, isn't whether or not it is possible, but whether or not it is both feasible and economically sensible.

Agreed. Will it happen? Who knows. I've been thinking, this D was fine in the secondary when they had no name CBs, but constant SS play from Harrison. I think they should look into that spot for an upgrade. That's making the rich richer though. The Pats have spots they need to address.

pass rusher. It aint comin' from the DE spot, they need to go after a young OLB ready to wreck havoc.

TE. Enough said, but I'll just add a little more. We need to look for the all around TE. Enough with the athletes, we need pass blocking skills. IMO, look for a TE in the Graham mold. Decent receiver, better blocker.

OL need to really get stronger. I've been talking with a few people, and it really wouldn't surprise me to see them go after some new OL in the draft. I'm talking in the first few picks. Moving Light over, finding a franchse guard or even a monster center would really help the play of this OL. An OL that good makes an offense click for years.

Those are the glaring needs, IMO. This team is very good, they're 6-4 absolutely banged up to **** with a backup QB. They don't need much, just that little bit to get them over the dominance hump.

Are you saying that the Pats didn't give up big plays prior to 2005?

Can Sander's be upgraded? Sure. I'm not sure who is available as a free agent, but I don't believe that there is anyone in the draft who can come in and replace Sanders right out of TC.

Giving up big plays happens to everyone. Not every game, or every crucial situation. When do the Pats ever make the big stops? What close game doesn't come down to a huge completion? Alot more then there used to be. They used to give up lots of yads between 01-04. That defense bended, this defense breaks. Its broke for the last 2 1/2 years now, so it needs work. Not an overhaul, just key pieces.

I'm not saying Sanders has to go either, but if there's an available FA, I think he'd be worth looking at.

Jacobs would go great here. But, as others have said, he signed an extension so meh. Nmandi I do agree with though but he'll have a HUGE price tag on him. Related but, at the same time, unrelated question: are they still considering an uncapped year for 2010 and, if so, who are the free agents expecting to show up on that list as of right now?

Any chance BB could talk Big Willie into one more season? Rotating him, Vrabel, and AD wouldn't suck. And he could mentor Crable. I don't remember if there was bad blood when he left or not...

I would be ok with Vilma, but I imagine he'll get big bucks from someone else.

Is this right? How the hell is Duane Starks still in the league?

Giving up big plays happens to everyone. Not every game, or every crucial situation. When do the Pats ever make the big stops? What close game doesn't come down to a huge completion? Alot more then there used to be. They used to give up lots of yads between 01-04. That defense bended, this defense breaks. Its broke for the last 2 1/2 years now, so it needs work. Not an overhaul, just key pieces.

I'm not saying Sanders has to go either, but if there's an available FA, I think he'd be worth looking at.

The defense broke in all 4 Super Bowls, although the 2004 game is arguable. People really need to separate myth from reality.

The defense broke in all 4 Super Bowls, although the 2004 game is arguable. People really need to separate myth from reality.

The '04 game is arguable because Harrison intercepted it at the key moment. He did that a lot back then. I just wish that there could have been a big play at a big moment in the '06 AFCCG, the Super Bowl, and this past week v.s. the Jets. But we can't get that lucky all the time.

I don't see TJ Houshmandzadeh being an option. The Pats made no attempt to sign him a few years ago and I don't see them making the move this go around either. Issues with him include an inflated ego, running his mouth and throwing teammates under the bus.

Kerry Rhodes could be a possibility if the Jets don't extend him or franchise him. Nnamdi Asomougha could be a possibility unless the Raiders franchise him again.

I think that Jabari Greer could be an option as well.

The pats didn't go after Moss the first time he was a FA, and Moss has done things far worse than TJ in the past. Think about it, Moss has had a lot of the same issues ( and some worse) than TJ.

Last edited:
The pats didn't go after Moss the first time he was a FA, and Moss has done things far worse than TJ in the past. Think about it, Moss has had a lot of the same issues ( and some worse) than TJ.

I'll take Welker over TJ H. without thinking about it.

The '04 game is arguable because Harrison intercepted it at the key moment. He did that a lot back then. I just wish that there could have been a big play at a big moment in the '06 AFCCG, the Super Bowl, and this past week v.s. the Jets. But we can't get that lucky all the time.

My point about the '04 game was that it is arguable because the lead was 2 scores rather than one. That last drive by the McNabbs had no chance in hell other than a fluke pass of 50+ yards being completed. Remember, the McNabbs faced 1st and 10 on their own 4 with just 46 seconds left to play.

I'll take Welker over TJ H. without thinking about it.

Of course, but would you be upset to trade Gaff or Aiken for TJ? I like Jabar, but come on... Housh.

My point about the '04 game was that it is arguable because the lead was 2 scores rather than one. That last drive by the McNabbs had no chance in hell other than a fluke pass of 50+ yards being completed. Remember, the McNabbs faced 1st and 10 on their own 4 with just 46 seconds left to play.

Oh I know. I wasn't arguing with you. Rather, bringing up another point for the conversation. Oh, and you forgot to mention that McNabb was puking his guts out on that last drive too, lol. That was such a fun Super Bowl.

Of course, but would you be upset to trade Gaff or Aiken for TJ? I like Jabar, but come on... Housh.

If you're going to make fantasy trades, there's a receiver in Detroit who could use a change of scenery.

Oh I know. I wasn't arguing with you. Rather, bringing up another point for the conversation. Oh, and you forgot to mention that McNabb was puking his guts out on that last drive too, lol. That was such a fun Super Bowl.

That may be the only game in NFL history where I felt bad for T.O. He played his ass off on that bum leg and he was all but alone out there.

If you're going to make fantasy trades, there's a receiver in Detroit who could use a change of scenery.

I wasn't meaning a literal trade, but could we live without one of those guys if we had TJ/would we prefer hooshmazoo instead of them.

And really, couldn't everyone in Detroit use a change of scenery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back