PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 free agents that could rock the Flying Elvis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerry Rhodes could be a possibility if the Jets don't extend him or franchise him. Nnamdi Asomougha could be a possibility unless the Raiders franchise him again.

Those were the two names that popped out at me too. Is it true though that Rhodes is an UFA? The website mentioned that he had signed a contract extension in april 08.

As I understand it we wiull definitely have a ton of cap room next year to go after someone big name like that. Am I right in that assumption?

BTW if I were targeting a guy it would be Asomugha, but all indications are that Oakland plans to throw as much cash at him as needed to keep him. Then again if the money was equal, would he prefer to remain in the stinking armpit that is Oakland or play with a perennial championship contender like the Pats?

Actually, I think a more accurate statement would be:

"Oakland knows Asomugha won't want to stay, so they'll keep him locked up as long as they can."

They used the exclusive franchise tag on him in 2008--meaning they pay him an extra $1M or $2M, and prevent him from even negotiating with other teams. By all indications, they'll do it again in 2009, meaning they have to pay him another 20% on top of what they paid him this year. [And if they do it in 2010--which they might well do--they'd have to pay him 20% on top of that, or top-5 QB money, whichever is greater.]

Actually, I think a more accurate statement would be:

"Oakland knows Asomugha won't want to stay, so they'll keep him locked up as long as they can."

They used the exclusive franchise tag on him in 2008--meaning they pay him an extra $1M or $2M, and prevent him from even negotiating with other teams. By all indications, they'll do it again in 2009, meaning they have to pay him another 20% on top of what they paid him this year. [And if they do it in 2010--which they might well do--they'd have to pay him 20% on top of that, or top-5 QB money, whichever is greater.]

They did that to Charles Woodson for I think 3 straight seasons. So I can easily see them do it with Asomugha.

As I understand it we wiull definitely have a ton of cap room next year to go after someone big name like that. Am I right in that assumption?

Every team has a ton of money every year -- or else can create such room by renegotiating longer-term contracts -- if it is willing to destroy itself by letting its own FAs walk.

They did that to Charles Woodson for I think 3 straight seasons. So I can easily see them do it with Asomugha.

Actually, if they were to try and tag Asomugha for a 3rd season, the rate would be that of the highest franchise salary at the time. Not the highest position. This was a change in the last CBA.

So, its unlikely that Asomugha would be franchised at the QB rate of 15-16 million next year.

Some of the suggestions in this thread are just so awful, I couldn'tmake it past page 3. Wow... some batchit crazy ideas up in here.

I know we talked a lot about the draft and what we'd do with our picks. I don't remember a recent thread solely on who me snag in FA and maybe it's too early, but I looked up a list and thought I'd see what you guys thought about who's out there.

Grabbed the list from here:

KFFL - 2009 NFL Free Agents

Not sure how up to date it is, but the two names that jumped out at me were TJ Whosyourmama, RB Brandon Jacobs, SS Kerry Rhodes, and CB Nnamdi Asomugha.

The two of those that could most re-energize this team, IMO, would be TJ and Nnamdi.

TJ: Having him racing up the other side of Moss, or even bunched up together, with Brady back at the controls. Yikes.

Nnamdi: Now I know he's gonna be expensive, but we may have learned something by letting Samuel go. We need at least one shut-down corner. We currently don't have that. We have ok corners, but nothing to scare anyone away from passing deep.

Watching any of the Giants RB's is nuts. I doubt Jacobs would ever come here, but I'd have no qualms about cutting Jordan to make the space.

Anyway, the draft should be good and this years draft, big picture-wise, is shaping up pretty good.

Any thoughts on who you'd like to see come along in FA?

Since most of the FA's that we really want end up not being available later, I'm wasting my time writing this, but waste my time I will do. :) I'll throw one name out here on Dec. 29th, 2008 as somebody that will end up in a Pats jersey next year (even though he most likely will not): Dunta Robinson, CB, Houston.

He's been the starting safety in New England for multiple seasons. Belichick apparently doesn't agree with you.

Belichick has a nasty habit of doing that. By that I mean not following the collective wisdom of the consensus opinion of patsfans.com. And it is a shame too. Maybe if he had followed this board advice and cut Cassel and signed Culpepper we would be in the playoffs right now. :D or maybe not. :eek:

Sean Jones, SS from Cleveland
Bryant McFadden, CB from Pittsburgh
Bart Scott, ILB from Baltimore

In order of preference.

Samuel was never a shutdown corner.

Dunta Robinson would be a pretty exciting signing.

Looks like Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Terrell Suggs are all FA after this year. Should be interesting to see what the Ravens do. Maybe the Pats could get one of the three.

-------------------------

BALTIMORE — Baltimore Ravens star middle linebacker Ray Lewis’ seven-year, $50 million contract is about to expire, but he didn’t behave as if he had played his final game in Baltimore.

Other than flipping the football to an equipment manager for safekeeping after recovering one of his two fumbles Sunday in a 27-7 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars at M&T Bank Stadium that clinched a playoff berth, Lewis acted as if it was just another day at the office. He led the Ravens with eight tackles and forced a fumble and was singing a Bob Marley song afterward in the locker room while waiting for fullback Lorenzo Neal to wrap up an interview.

Drafted in the first round prior to the Ravens’ inaugural season in 1996, Lewis has always had his contract renewed at least one year before becoming a free agent. Now, he’s in position to test free agency if he chooses in March. G

General manager Ozzie Newsome has said there are no current negotiations, but the team plans to talk with Lewis’ representatives as soon as the season is over.

If his departure is actually impending, then Lewis did a good job of keeping those thoughts to himself.

"I would be the most selfish person ever to walk this earth if I thought about myself and not my team right now," said Lewis, who has been involved in negotiations with the team since the spring. "It’s all about my teammates."

Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, who’s the Ravens’ franchise player and scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent if the Ravens don’t sign him to a long-term deal or designate him with the franchise tag again, feels fairly assured of his return.

"It didn’t feel like my last game on the field," Suggs said. "The crowd was amazing. We just went out there and had fun."

And Suggs is fairly certain that he’ll be in the same huddle as Lewis again. It’s considered more unlikely that inside linebacker Bart Scott, whose deal is also up, will be retained.

Carroll County Times: Westminster, Maryland

I don't think it's right but KFFL lists Bart Scott as a FA. I checked Rotoworld and it said that Scott signed a 3 year deal in '06. So if he's a FA after this season, would make a great combo with Mayo along inside and having Guyton come in on passing downs. If not, I like Channing Crowder to play along Mayo inside.

Just read that Deion Brach COULD be a cap casualty :

Branch’s time running out with Seahawks? | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA

Wonder what we'd be willing to pay him. Moss, Welker, Branch. Yummy.

That story was written after week 8, Branch has been very good since then, he caught two more TDs yesterday (in a game absolutely nobody outside of Seattle watched). I think that he has shwon more than enough for them to keep him next year for 5 mil. in only 8 games this year (if you pro rate it) he put up the best numbers of his career.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302177

If they cut him, I'd say get Brady on the phone with him within minutes of him being cut, but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Andra Davis, cleveland, underrated and now he knows the system...

I think so. 50 sacks in 5 and a half seasons.

Suggs isn't strictly a pass rusher. He's a damn good pass rusher who can also play the run and drop into coverage.

I want channing crowder. i think belichick loves this guy. i love him too. he would look great along side mayo.

Andra Davis, cleveland, underrated and now he knows the system...

hes not underrated lol..hes been overrated in his "good days" and then he hit the bench

I'll take my chances, if Seattle ever cut Branch, I would have Branch on the first flight over here. I've said this many times before, but if you asked me who could take the juggernaut that is the Brady-Moss-Welker offense and take it one step further, its Deion Branch. He's literally the perfect complement to Moss b/c of his skills, and where he flourishes on the field, which is in that intermediate range.

Please let Deion Branch be a cap casualty. And please let him have the common sense to come back and play w Brady. The offense would be horrifying to face.

I believe that Branch burned his bridged behind him. Particularly lying to BB and Pioli about his intentions.

I have to disagree that he'd be the perfect compliment to Moss. I think that there are other players who are better compliments than Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes