PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 free agents that could rock the Flying Elvis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CB Nnamdi Asomugha

only outside FA i want....and i want him badly

if his pricetag is mid range (no reason why it should not be sky high)
then i would take him

but he has to be looking to win, and has to be looking to win a SB, and he will realize that hell get more balls thrown his way b/c BB will scheme it that way

CB Nnamdi Asomugha

only outside FA i want....and i want him badly

if his pricetag is mid range (no reason why it should not be sky high)
then i would take him

but he has to be looking to win, and has to be looking to win a SB, and he will realize that hell get more balls thrown his way b/c BB will scheme it that way

Expect him to be franchised by Crazy Al, though.....

I wasn't meaning a literal trade, but could we live without one of those guys if we had TJ/would we prefer hooshmazoo instead of them.

And really, couldn't everyone in Detroit use a change of scenery?

Yes, but it still comes down to $$.

The defense broke in all 4 Super Bowls, although the 2004 game is arguable. People really need to separate myth from reality.

In 01, they gave up a tie. that's still different than blowing the whole thing, add to the fact they dominated for the whole rest of the game and I think they did fine.

in 04, again, they broke when they could afford too. Hell, maybe we were just lucky with time, that could very well be what it was. I'm not saying the offense didn't get it done, that's why Brady's a 2 time SBMVP. But the defense got it done in 04 in the final drive. 03, they broke all game. Luckily Branch and Brady went nuts.

In 07, they broke. they never scored for the team like the 01 squad did. They broke in the game, but I don't think that's the primary reason they lost. The offense blowing all game did them in.

I never said the defense was broke, they just haven't gotten it done like when Vrabel was in his prime and McGinest was in his. They've lacked the 1-2 pass rushing pass they once had, that made the defense dominant.

I wasn't meaning a literal trade, but could we live without one of those guys if we had TJ/would we prefer hooshmazoo instead of them.

And really, couldn't everyone in Detroit use a change of scenery?

Oh, I wasn't knocking you at all. I was saying that if the team is going to actually trade for a top flight receiver, Calvin Johnson is the receiver I'd want. Lining him up with Moss and Welker for Brady to pass to might just cause the NFL to adopt the "mercy rule".

Oh, I wasn't knocking you at all. I was saying that if the team is going to actually trade for a top flight receiver, Calvin Johnson is the receiver I'd want. Lining him up with Moss and Welker for Brady to pass to might just cause the NFL to adopt the "mercy rule".

Hehe. There've been a few games this season and last that ought to have warranted that discussion, lol.

Last edited:
In 01, they gave up a tie. that's still different than blowing the whole thing, add to the fact they dominated for the whole rest of the game and I think they did fine.

in 04, again, they broke when they could afford too. Hell, maybe we were just lucky with time, that could very well be what it was. I'm not saying the offense didn't get it done, that's why Brady's a 2 time SBMVP. But the defense got it done in 04 in the final drive. 03, they broke all game. Luckily Branch and Brady went nuts.

In 07, they broke. they never scored for the team like the 01 squad did. They broke in the game, but I don't think that's the primary reason they lost. The offense blowing all game did them in.

I never said the defense was broke, they just haven't gotten it done like when Vrabel was in his prime and McGinest was in his. They've lacked the 1-2 pass rushing pass they once had, that made the defense dominant.

In '01 they gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter on two posessions. Which is why BB decided to go for it in regulation because he knew if they lost an OT toss the game was likely lost. Not that that option was a given either since we hadn't scored since the end of the first half...

In '03 once each teams D broke it became a shootout which Brady luckily won because we had the ball last...

In '04 we were lucky we broke down only after entering McNabb's puke zone. Had he not turned green and a Reid coached offense been incapable of running an actual hurry up offense we'd have been in deep doo-doo then, too.

TJ is a good #1 or very good #2. Both those spots are taken on the Patriots. Asomugha will be the best CB FA out there, and he will be overpaid just not on the Patriots. The Giants will not let Jacobs go. He'll either get franchised or receive a NY sized contract.

My list starts off with...
Matt Cassel
Russ Hochstein
James Sanders
Heath Evans

At this point I don't think we will be making big splashes in FA in the next few years. There are some current players (Wilfork) that need extending first. Also, there are a lot of starters whose contracts are up after the 2009 season.

Franchise Cassel for leverage. The others on your list are a non-issue in 09 as far as desperate signs.
DW Toys

Except he's a starting quality Safety in the NFL and Belichick believes that. And, while Sanders isn't on the level of Rodney Harrison or Kerry Rhodes, he's not garbage.

Sanders is quality depth and should be brought back.. Particularly with the injuries the Pats have had back there.

Here we go.
He is playing awful this year. Garbage might be harsh, but expendable, you bet! There are people on the streets better. Starting quality safety?
DW Toys

I would add Jabar Gaffney, Lonie Paxton, and Mike Wright to your
list. I can't see the Patriots putting a franchise tag on Matt Cassel
because it would probably put them in a salary cap bind.
He'll be a FT and trade no question
DW Toys

Franchise and trade Cassel to the Jets for Rhodes, who the Jets franchised? Might work.

Seriously? You think the Pats would do "business" with the Jets and vice versa? Seriously? C'mon people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Here we go.
He is playing awful this year. Garbage might be harsh, but expendable, you bet! There are people on the streets better. Starting quality safety?
DW Toys

OH brother.. We all know you absolutely hate Sanders because he beat you out of the PeeWee football Safety position you wanted to badly.

Sanders isn't playing awful this year. Has he had bad moments? Yep. So have Seymour, Light, Mankins, Hobbs, Warren, Wilfork, etc etc.

There aren't street free agents who are better than Sanders. That is just your stupid bias hatred talking.

In '01 they gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter on two posessions. Which is why BB decided to go for it in regulation because he knew if they lost an OT toss the game was likely lost. Not that that option was a given either since we hadn't scored since the end of the first half...

In '03 once each teams D broke it became a shootout which Brady luckily won because we had the ball last...

In '04 we were lucky we broke down only after entering McNabb's puke zone. Had he not turned green and a Reid coached offense been incapable of running an actual hurry up offense we'd have been in deep doo-doo then, too.

This is exactly what I was saying the other day in the "I prefer the old Patriots" thread.

It pains me so much to think the only difference btwn our 3 SB victories in the BB-Brady era and our SB loss and AFCCG (and de facto SB) loss was really how much time and how many timeouts Brady was given to work with after the defense gave up a key TD scoring drive.

If it weren't for Brady, Vinatieri and the other clutch members of the offense, we'd have a Buffalo Bills esque record in the SB right now. I think folks forget that when they rant and rave about how the defense of the past two years doesn't stack up with the ones that earned rings.

I know it will never happen, but I am going to say the name. He is on that link as a free agent: JULIUS PEPPERS!

I have not heard his named mentioned before in any threads, so I dont know if he has been extended. And if he is a free agent, I cant imagine Carolina letting him go, but hey, we can dream cant we.

It would require the Pats cahnging to more of a 4-3 and Seymour moving to tackle, but can you imagine a front line of: Peppers - Seymour - Wilfork - Warren. (yes, I am drooling like Homer Simpson as I type this)

I know it will never happen, but I am going to say the name. He is on that link as a free agent: JULIUS PEPPERS!

I have not heard his named mentioned before in any threads, so I dont know if he has been extended. And if he is a free agent, I cant imagine Carolina letting him go, but hey, we can dream cant we.

It would require the Pats cahnging to more of a 4-3 and Seymour moving to tackle, but can you imagine a front line of: Peppers - Seymour - Wilfork - Warren. (yes, I am drooling like Homer Simpson as I type this)

I can't see Peppers ever fitting in here. Belichick will go 4-3 but his niche is the 3-4 (except in 2001 where the 4-3 was more of a necessity due to lack of 3-4 personel).

He's a stud, no doubt, but I recently read that if he's not signed to a long term contract he'll be franchised. Sorry, no link. The Panthers would be fools to let him go right now.

I highly doubt Asomugha ends up here. He will get paid at least what Asante is making and we weren't willing to pony that up for a guy who's played in the system for 4 years.

Definately need to look at those RB's. If Morris misses anymore substantial time this year I truly hope we part ways with him, even though he's a great runner let's get somebody who will stay on the field. Ditto for Jordan. So far Arrington, Fred Jackson, Buckhalter, Maurice Morris are intriguing. Jacobs and Stephen Jackson likely too expensive. Edgerrin James may be a cap cut in Zona too, worth a signing for the right price IMO.

I highly doubt Asomugha ends up here. He will get paid at least what Asante is making and we weren't willing to pony that up for a guy who's played in the system for 4 years.

Yeah, but Asomugha is way more of a game changer than Asante though. I was very staunchly in the "don't pay Asante" club, but I would - well, if I were BB/Pioli that is - hand over some serious change to get Asomugha here.

Definately need to look at those RB's. If Morris misses anymore substantial time this year I truly hope we part ways with him, even though he's a great runner let's get somebody who will stay on the field. Ditto for Jordan. So far Arrington, Fred Jackson, Buckhalter, Maurice Morris are intriguing. Jacobs and Stephen Jackson likely too expensive. Edgerrin James may be a cap cut in Zona too, worth a signing for the right price IMO.

Add on to that Al Davis most likely will not trade another one of his players to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News