PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your realistic "dream" draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waiting for your retort, expecting something suitably feisty. My apologies for getting Jason Phillips and Jason Williams confused.

My confusion is not that this is an unreasonable draft scenario, but that you presented it as your "dream draft". With a lot of talent through around the #50 pick, I don't see this as the year to trade back from #34 unless all of our top projected players go really early. Dallas should be a playoff contender, so trading #34 for #51 and a 2010 pick that will probably be in the 50's doesn't seem like optimal value to me, if a player like Gilbert, Beatty or Delmas is available. If you don't believe those are blue chip prospects (like 2007, where BB didn't like the value at 28, and where the SF 1st had a least potential to be significantly higher) or if they're all gone then trading back makes sense, but presenting it as your "dream scenario" puzzles me a bit.
The scenerios you've fantasized frequently project Beatty to still be on the board at #34 - hence a reason for you to value the pick over the trade. I don't see Beatty as a priority, I draft "my" priority at #23, so now I can weigh relative values - is S a greater value at #34? is OL? is DL? is WR? - and it made more sense to me to have an extra Day One pick in 2010. Yes, Dallas projects to be competitive for the postseason projecting the 2010 2nd as later pick in the round - BB took a 2008 1st and an early 2007 4th for a late 2007 1st - so I dipped into the 4th round to bring the relative values closer together. If NE has two late seconds in 2010, then they have some ammo for a modest move in the first round - about what we'd expect of them. You can make the argument that Dallas will have a late first which is a better one-to-one value, however; Jerry Jones may be impatient, but he's no dummy. That 2010 first is just too valuable an asset for a team thinking they will make the playoffs - I take what I can get and that's three picks to work with.

I will take:

1: OT Andre Smith - Even with a tradeup to the mid teens I would take him.
If Matt Light goes down for the season we are screwed ... big time. He can play RT if need be this year ... Kaczur sucks ... and O'Callaghan is a pig ... Levoir is just here because he's cheap he sucks also. Smith screwed up but he still can be great.

2a: OLB Conner Barwin if available or Clay Mathews if Barwin is gone.

2b: Traded for Andre Smith or will be traded for 2010 1st to some sucker.

2c: CB Darius Butler

3a: DE Lawrence Sidbury - A bit high but why wait ... he has big hands and long arms for a guy who is not really that tall ... 6'3" ... Belichick will mold him to OLB. Bill may need to trade up a bit to get him ... then again he should be there in the 3rd. I doubt Belichick extends Jarvis Green and Sidbury will be better.

3b: QB/WR Pat White or RB Tony Flametta ... Sorry every year I want a FB ... this year is no exception. A tad high perhaps ... but how many 3rd to 7th rounders stick around anyways who aren't QB's.

I doubt he lasts to our pick in the 4th and our TE's suck at blocking. Belichick needs to get back to the 2 RB backfield where both can block. Spped rushers kill our TE's and the experiment has failed and has been over since Graham left.

Last edited:
It did occur to me with your Jason Williams pick that we could offer the "midwestern directional" alternative to the all-UConn draft:

23 - Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois
34 - Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
58 - Jason Williams, ILB, Western Illinois
89 - TJ Lang, OT/G, Eastern Michigan

:)
I haven't read where English is drawing a lot of interest from NE. Yes, BB mentioned him during his presser at the Combine, but this from a guy as twisty as BB is with the media, is like saying English got a kiss from the Godfather. Heh, maybe we'll see he's coming to New England in the next few days, but for the moment the athletic guys, Barwin and Sidbury, and Ayers who is more versatile and slightly more athletic than English have been the guys brought to Gillette.

I think this is at least a semi-realistic scenario. Picks with player replacing or ahead of them on the depth chart...

OLB Michael Johnson (Vrabel)
S Sean Smith (JSanders and his Mr. Magoo coverage angles)
OG Andy Levitre (Neal)
OT Gerald Cadogan (Kaczur)
DE Dorell Scott (Seymour)
DE Kyle Moore (JGreen)
WR Brandon Tate (in mix with Aiken, Slater)
CB Joe Burnett (Hobbs)
QB Curtis Painter (Gutierrez)
LB Robert Francois (Bruschi)
plus Carolina's 1st round pick in 2010

Brandon Tate

I do hope we take a chance on this guy late. If he can fully recover from his injury he could be the steal of the whole draft.

#23 Clint Sintim - going back and forth between Matthews/Barwin/Sintim which I'd be happy with any of them. I think Sintim is the most ready to take the OLB starting role of the 3.
#34 James Laurinaitis - If he drops this far it would be a no-brainer. He would be a great replacement to Bruschi.
#47 Patrick Chung - Any of the safeties could be taken here, but I feel Chung has the most potential on ST taking the load of Meriweather.
#58 Eric Wood - He will need to make a conversion to OG, but I think he can do it. He fits the mold and Scarnecchia seems to like him.
#89 Troy Kropog - Is a Patriots type of player. Aggressive and excels in pass protection (aka happy Brady). Definitely an upgrade at backup OT.
#96 Jonathan Luigs - Same category as Wood. One of these C conversions will end up taking the role of Hochstein who only signed a 1 year contract.

Trade Maroney for a 2009 3rd round pick.

#23 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia-would be the perfect complement to Sammy Morris/Fred Taylor can replace Faulk and be extremely dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield.

#34 Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech- is Julius Peppers in the making. 6'7" fast strong, will be an absolute nightmare both coming off the edge, and throwing over. Will block at least 2 FG next year alone.

or

Trade #34 to Carolina for Peppers or to (or someone else who will tank for us ala SF) for a 2010 1st round pick TO BE USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR TAYLOR MAYS!!!

#47 Robert Ayers DE Tennessee-under rated, DE/OLB combo

#58 Eric Wood OL Louisville- the combination of brains, toughness, and quickness that BB looks for in interior lineman.

#86 Rashad Johnson FS Alabama-ahh the old Nick Saban pipeline lives again...

#89 Chase Coffman TE Missouri-once the best TE on the board, seems to be fogotten about. Perfect combo of pass catching and blocking.

trade O'Connell to Denver for a conditional (no later than a 3rd) pick in the 2010 draft.

#97 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston St-transferred from Oklahoma, would have won the Hesiman this year if he started instead of Sam Bradford. he got caught with a "no show" job at a car dealership and Stoops kicked him off the team. The perfect "chip on his shoulder" QB. If Brady stays healthy, someone will come calling for this kid in a few years.
His story: Former Oklahoma quarterback Bomar to face KU - Kansas City Star

#124 Ricky Jean-Francois DT LSU- Jarvis Green needs a new student, can play Nose or tackle, tremendous size.

#170 Johnny Knox WR Abeline Christian- 4.26 40 at the Combine worth a shot.

#199 (love that we have this slot again) Alex Boone OT Ohio St-Massive LT 6'7" 328, 4 year starter, got "tazed" in a drunken bar fight, and will drop because of it. One of those, let's see if we can straighten him out deals, that you can take in the 6th round.

#207 Tony Fiammetta FB Syracuse- you KNEW that I was going to have an Orange(man) on this list. Syracuse has a great NFL FB pedigree, Fiammetta will continue that legacy.

#234 Brain Toal LB Boston College- doesn't he just scream the second coming of Mosi Tatupu!

Last edited:
#23 Clint Sintim - going back and forth between Matthews/Barwin/Sintim which I'd be happy with any of them. I think Sintim is the most ready to take the OLB starting role of the 3.
#34 James Laurinaitis - If he drops this far it would be a no-brainer. He would be a great replacement to Bruschi.
#47 Patrick Chung - Any of the safeties could be taken here, but I feel Chung has the most potential on ST taking the load of Meriweather.
#58 Eric Wood - He will need to make a conversion to OG, but I think he can do it. He fits the mold and Scarnecchia seems to like him.
#89 Troy Kropog - Is a Patriots type of player. Aggressive and excels in pass protection (aka happy Brady). Definitely an upgrade at backup OT.
#96 Jonathan Luigs - Same category as Wood. One of these C conversions will end up taking the role of Hochstein who only signed a 1 year contract.

Great job .. id be delighted with that

I'm trying to avoid the idée fixe, but I can't help thinking:

I want Jarron Gilbert, Connor Barwin, Eric Wood, and one of the strong safeties (Moore, Vaughn or Chung).

I'm not sure how realistic that is, though. It's certainly possible that all of my top 3 will still be available at 34; it's also possible that all three could go in the 1st round. (Yes, even Wood -- I could see the Steelers choosing him over Mack.)

I do hope we take a chance on this guy late. If he can fully recover from his injury he could be the steal of the whole draft.

I like Brandon Tate as an immediate help on ST, but in the UNC games I've seen he is always getting separation from the defense. I think he can be highly productive with a QB that gets the ball out on time and with good pace (Brady, Peyton, Brees).

His much heralded teammate Hakeem Nicks made the difficult catches when covered, but I worry about his ability to separate in the NFL. Shouldn't matter since the Pats likely won't take him at #23 and he shouldn't last until #34.

This seems a "reasonable" dream.

23 Gilbert
34 Barwin (or other OLB)
47 Wood
58 one of the strong safeties (using our 89 to trade up if necessary)
==============

I can't help thinking:

I want Jarron Gilbert, Connor Barwin, Eric Wood, and one of the strong safeties (Moore, Vaughn or Chung).

I'm not sure how realistic that is, though. It's certainly possible that all of my top 3 will still be available at 34; it's also possible that all three could go in the 1st round. (Yes, even Wood -- I could see the Steelers choosing him over Mack.)[/QUOTE]

When you go to bed at night and think about the draft and who you want and what you want to see happen, what comes to mind? Lets hear your dream draft.

So you dream of dudes when you go to sleep? OK.

#23 - OLB Connor Barwin - Can get to the QB and has potential to be one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.
#34 - OT William Beatty - Hopefully slips to here. With a year or two in the weight room will be an upgrade over Kaczur and someday Light.
#47 - SS William Moore - If he is available I would be thrilled but I would trade up slightly if necessary. Louis Delmas would probably be gone and I would prefer Moore anyway because Delmas is more of a FS Which we already have in Meriweather. Moore is a good tackler and a playmaker.
#58 - C/OG Eric Wood - I would love Wood or to trade this pick into 2010, possibly with New Orleans. Wood is a very good pass blocker in a pass happy offense and has room to improve his run blobking. Would be the anchor in the middle of our line for years to come.

23 Gilbert or Jackson or Hood
34 Britton or Beatty
37 Matthews or English (use 89 and 47) may need to switch 37 and 34
58 Rashad Johnson or Vaughn
97 Canfield or Luigs
124 best available ILB (there are four in that range)
170 Mike Wallace WR/KR
199 best available QB
============================

Gilbert seems like a reach at #23. A lot of people have him rated at the late 2nd round. I think he would be a good player to draft, but I don't see him as a starter either. More of a Jarvis Green replacement.

I don't know where Gilbert will be drafted, but given how few 3-4 DE are available, 23 may not be a reach. Of course, if Belichick can get him at 47 so much the better.

I don't know where Gilbert will be drafted, but given how few 3-4 DE are available, 23 may not be a reach. Of course, if Belichick can get him at 47 so much the better.

The trick with Gilbert is that he has a little more scheme flexibility than a Tyson Jackson, who seems born to play nothing but 3-4 DE. I'm starting to see more and more mocks giving Gilbert to Tennessee at 30, Detroit at 33, and even Indy at 27.

The trick with Gilbert is that he has a little more scheme flexibility than a Tyson Jackson, who seems born to play nothing but 3-4 DE. I'm starting to see more and more mocks giving Gilbert to Tennessee at 30, Detroit at 33, and even Indy at 27.

I think that is quite reasonable. Gilbert could be a terrific 3-4 DE, or at 310 lbs. or so and 6'5" he might actually have the best chance from a physical ability standpoint to become the next Haynesworth. His frame is certainly big enough to add the weight, and he is starting with exceptional quickness for his size. I could easily see Tennessee taking a chance on him, as the best chance to replace Haynesworth in a year or two with a big, disruptive DT.

Peria Jerry, Ziggy Hood and Sen'Derrick Marks seem like more prototypical Indy guys to me, but Gilbert is definitely an option.

Not sure of the order, but I'd like to see them come out of this draft with Gilbert, Barwin and Delmas.

For *names* id say

Beatty/Britton
Barwin
2010 1st
Moore/Vaughan
Brinkley/Beckwith
Lang/Cranfield

I'm certainly not enough of a draftnick to specify the entire draft. If in the dirst 3 picks we got: Brawin OLB, Smith S/CB & Sintim SILB, I would be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes