PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your favorite draft prospects so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
so, have you been following your draft favs so far this season?

chris johnson, someone i wanted the pats to take a shot at around rd 3 is fast as hell, and doing fine in a 2 back system....

antonie cason, a cb that went to san diego hasnt shined anything quite yet
(as a matter of fact, the only cb that has make real progress so far seems to be DRC [correct me if im wrong])

no one else really comes to mind

Man I was president of the draft Chris Johnson fan club, I knew he would be a stud with his speed, hands, and toughness. I really wish we had drafted him!

so, have you been following your draft favs so far this season?

chris johnson, someone i wanted the pats to take a shot at around rd 3 is fast as hell, and doing fine in a 2 back system....

antonie cason, a cb that went to san diego hasnt shined anything quite yet
(as a matter of fact, the only cb that has make real progress so far seems to be DRC [correct me if im wrong])

no one else really comes to mind

Leodis McKelvin is going to be a good player. It's too bad he got saddled with the Bills.

In my mock last year I had us drafting Mayo. I got plenty of disagreement then, but he's turned out to be halfway decent ;)

Of course I also wanted us to take Reggie Smith in the 2nd/3rd round... 49ers got him and he is no where to be found right now....

49ers got him and he is no where to be found right now....

Although how much of that is player talent, and how much is it the system sucking?

For example, my binkie from 2007 was Brian Leonard. I still think he would be pretty good in New England, but he's stuck with St. Louis. [BTW--click on the link. As a Bill Simmons reader says, it's a perfect summary of the 2008 season.]

Last edited:
This is still several years away but I just saw a youtube clip of Barry Sanders JR making a nasty play in high school.

Lets just say that I am willing to change my name to SignBabyBarry :D

I can't access You tube from work so I will have to add the link later if someone else hasn't after this.

DRC is turning into more of a stud with each passing week. He'll be a top tier CB for a long time if he stays healthy.

I always felt that Wheatley would be very, very good, and sooner rather than later. If he hadn't gotten hurt, I doubt anyone would be talking about Hobbs and O'Neal right now. And the FO's handling of Asante's contract situation would have long been forgotten.

DRC is turning into more of a stud with each passing week. He'll be a top tier CB for a long time if he stays healthy.

I always felt that Wheatley would be very, very good, and sooner rather than later. If he hadn't gotten hurt, I doubt anyone would be talking about Hobbs and O'Neal right now. And the FO's handling of Asante's contract situation would have long been forgotten.

I can't agrre more, if he gets healthy, I see Wheatley as an above average CB for the Pats for years to come.

Ton of favs, but few have had any success....

Mendenhall: Like his speed and ability to hit the hole. Had a great interview on the NFL Network, but couldn't make it through one game as the starter without getting hurt.

Forte: Thought this guy would be the real deal and hasn't been too far off. How could I not like his 2,000 yards as a senior with 23 TDs. Having a good season.

Chris Johnson: Speedy guy that I wanted in the Pats backfield. Great season for him.

Golston: Has done nothing, obviously.

Chris Long: Relatively quiet season, but only his rookie season so I won't stop following him. Can't when he plays the Pats twice a year.

Merling: Loved his highlights and has had marginal success this season.

Quentin Groves: Had a bad senior year and thought he would had been a value pick for the Pats. Should grow into the Jack defense.

Spencer Larson: Really thought he was a sleeper and only got in the headline for starting on defense, offense and STs.

The rest:

Mike Jenkins, Antoine Cason, Dwight Lowery, and DeJuan Morgan.

Vernon Gholston and Glen Dorsey.

A shame we didn't trade up for them and settled with a reach!

I thought Groves was going to be good but he's kind of a non-issue this season. I also liked Otah and Clady and both seem pretty good. What in the world happened to Glenn Dorsey?

I also thought Keller would bust. :(

I really wish we had Rogers-Chromartie right now. His stats are misleading, Ive watched a couple Cardinals games and he looks like he has tons of potential.

Forte is doing great, Stewart is also doing good things, CJ is a stud. And poor McFadden is a bust.

Chris Long: Relatively quiet season, but only his rookie season so I won't stop following him. Can't when he plays the Pats twice a year.

Chris Long = DE on the Lambs
JAKE Long = LT on the LOLphins

Clady was the player I wanted. He'd have been an excellent choice.

I always felt that Wheatley would be very, very good, and sooner rather than later. If he hadn't gotten hurt, I doubt anyone would be talking about Hobbs and O'Neal right now.

Well, I still like Hobbs. But regarding Wheatley, where he was drafted signifies the Pats brass held him in high regard. And given the loss of Samuel, there's a strong possibility they felt Wheatley could compete for the starting slot and hopefully win it. The poor play of O'Neal represents a huge open door for Wheatley to walk through -- if he were available. Having seen him play in college, I seriously doubt he would allow 5 TDs in man-to-man coverage as O'Neal has. BTW, and just to stay on topic, Wheatley was my sleeper pick for the Pats, making him one of my favorite prospects overall. Others I liked were Cason, Avril, Crable, to name a few.

I don't know how much Cardinals you watch, but he looks pretty bad every time I've seen him play.

i liked jonathan stewart but 7 and then 10 were to high for him. i'm not sure what number he went to carolina at but 14-20 seemed like the right range. losing that second first rounder hurt bad, especially after all our injuries.

Jerod Mayo of course :)

He has incredible speed, instincts, intelligence, and toughness. The perfect MLB.

One thing that bothered me about Mc Fadden was how few clips I saw of him bouncing off the first tackler. Edit: I forgot to add that I haven't seen him play this season and it would be interesting to see how plays.

`Matt Ryan has turned out well. In a moment of unashamed boasting, I picked him for Miami in last year's Patsfans draft. I would love to tell you all that it was due to my extensive analysis... but that is clearly not true. I don't get to watch college football on telly, so I have to rely on youtube, draft highlights and so on.

However, it did come down to a few things. I kept reading about his "intangibles", his accuracy was pretty good and he throws a good ball. When I think about the best QBs in history, it's their intangibles and accuracy that mark them out. Ability to throw the ball 80 yards isn't a "must draft" quality IMHO.

I missed badly on Gholston and Dorsey, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing