PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes/No: Do you want another pursuit to perfection in 2008?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you want another pursuit of perfection?

• Yes!

Votes: 101 58.7%
  • No!

Votes: 71 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next season, I am boycotting ESPN. Not for any ethical reason, or because I think it'll change anything or anyone will even notice or care; I just don't see any point in forcing myself to read that crap. I'll bookmark Simmons' page, and that will be that.

Ditto. I used to like watching/reading ESPN, CNNSI, and the like, but there was so much vitriol toward the team that is was absurd. Too much coverage, too much hype. Next time I am cutting down on the media consumption as much as possible.

It's never easy in the NFL. Some of us started to take winning for granted. I catch myself doing the same thing, after looking at the 2008 schedule, I find myself going "ok.. that's a win, win, win, etc" - occasionally (2-3x tops) saying okay that'll be competitive. We can't do that, and as much as BB instills his philosophy, the players can't either. If we go into 08 playing the same as the latter half of 07, we'll be a wild card team.

I want us to win games. If we focus and it take us that far again then great. Any fan would want to see perfection and maybe hold a massive parade down in Miami after one back home ;)

Too dang early for me to answer this question. In my life, I have never seen a team with 1 loss get so much disrespect. In today's day of constant media coverage it becomes a real burden when you try to achieve something special. The Pats played in a playoff type atmosphere since week 9, and prevailed (sometimes by the skin of their teeth), but with that 1 fricken Super Bowl loss, now somehow they suck. I don't get it, and that is why I am completely pi$$ed off. I don't ever want to see the Pats lose...but I don't want this to happen again...not so much for the fans, but for the Patriot players. I guess it comes with following sports.

Yes.

37-1, baby!

Absolutely not. This was probably one of the most stressful seasons I've ever experienced. And not just for me. It appeared that once the Pats got to around 10-0, the whole dynamic of the team changed. It really showed in the playoffs.

Where were the smiles and the swagger? Where were the fake snaps to RB's, the pitchbacks, the reverses? What happened to the idea that "We're going to do whatever we want on offense, and you can't stop us"? Where was the faith that the defense would make the stop (i.e. who cares if you miss the FG and give the Giants a whole extra 8 yds of field position)?

It became very apparent at the end of the season the Pats cared more about not losing than they did about winning. As soon as that happens, you're cooked.

I hope we lose in week one and get it over with.

Here's the thing, though--pretty much all the meaningful single-season records are theirs now, anyways. So, there's really no pressure to go for points, or TDs, or what have you. The ONLY thing that should matter to them next year is winning games, period.

Here's the thing, though--pretty much all the meaningful single-season records are theirs now, anyways. So, there's really no pressure to go for points, or TDs, or what have you. The ONLY thing that should matter to them next year is winning games, period.

Yep!!!
I think there was a mental, physical draining keeping everyone in all games in the pursuit of all those records.

Next year, there will be more effort to simply win games, and develop talent. I think this year was more to solidify individual Patriot success, rather than Team success.

When they started going for individual success, the team success took a hit... you could see it in the closeness of the final games.

They need to manage the season a little better... and I know you can say " how can you say that, they won 18 straight" but speed suffers through out the season, which is why so many great offenses slow down even in domes and on turf towards the end of the season.

Good point, but I think the records came to be because of the swagger, because of the idea they could score on every play. Only near the end, when Brady and Moss tried to force it, did things become more difficult. I thought this was a microcosm of what happened to the whole team when they were staring history in the face.

All of a sudden the mentality became, "What if we make a mistake? What if we lose?" (Obviously I can't say this with authority, but that is what it looked like to me on Sunday). The whole team seemed tight right from the pregame warmups. History is a heavy burden to bear, and if they're 18-0 next year in the SB, the pressure will be even greater not to fail.

While I don't ever want them to lose, I'd much rather they be 17-1 heading into the SB.

I want this team to be defined by how many Superbowls it wins. Does anyone really think the Dolphins are the best NFL team ever? Most of us would probably choose the 70's Steelers, the 49ers, the 90's Cowboys, the Pats, or now the Giants because they win Superbowls.

Perfection is nice, but Superbowl champagne is the sweetest.

NO! I want us to go into the play-offs as a "somewhat" favorite with nothing to lose, maybe a game on the road, totally humble and de-void of controversy on to rise up and SMACK the Colts and Giants to our 4th Super Bowl championship.

Even if it doesn't include the Giants and Colts, I want the rest of America to wake up the Monday morning after SB 43 and see a picture of Belichick and Brady embraced with the Lombardi trophy and the headline reading, WE'RE BACK!':rocker: :rocker:

yes is my vote; why not ?

finally today (after more or less 3 days i'm NOT depressed...)

go Pats !!!

Last edited:
What do I "want"? Of course I want my team to win every single game. Everyone who voted no, I'd like to see say during at least one week next year that they "don't want" the Patriots to win.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly bought into the fact that they weren't "going for perfection" persay until the playoffs, just trying to win every game like every team does. I think they were playing for the 1 seed.

Now, if you're asking me if I'd be fine with the Patriots losing a couple of games and still get the AFC 1 seed, then yes, that wouldn't make much difference to me in hindsight.

I think the goal will be, as always: Win the division, secure a 1st round bye, win the conference, then win the Super Bowl.

What do I "want"? Of course I want my team to win every single game. Everyone who voted no, I'd like to see say during at least one week next year that they "don't want" the Patriots to win.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly bought into the fact that they weren't "going for perfection" persay until the playoffs, just trying to win every game like every team does. I think they were playing for the 1 seed.

Now, if you're asking me if I'd be fine with the Patriots losing a couple of games and still get the AFC 1 seed, then yes, that wouldn't make much difference to me in hindsight.

I think the goal will be, as always: Win the division, secure a 1st round bye, win the conference, then win the Super Bowl.

Good perspective. What the original poster fails to recognize is that this whole "pursuit of perfection" concept was driven primarily by fans and the media. A few players gave lip service to it near the end, but it never was a team goal.

I voted yes. Next year like this past year, I care more about winning the SB, then the regular season.

But I voted yes, because each game I want the Patriots to win. I can't root for them to lose one and that is the only reason to vote no.

I voted no because

1. It puts to much pressure on the team to win week in and week out. Pressure that eventually takes a mental toll,and can cause the team to play tight not lose like they should.

2. And as might have been the case Sunday their perfection may have lead to overconfidence like the '01 Rams.

Last edited:
You have been putting out some pretty tough opinions here both in this thread and elsewhere since the loss. You have expressed a lot of anger over the loss in other threads as well. You have every right to do that, but I disagree with much of what you are posting and I don't feel that you are being at all respectful of other opinions.

In this thread, you use the term "repent" and "making up for" an 18--1 season. If I were you, I'd be careful using that language within the earshot of any of the guys on the team. I'm sure that they are mighty disappointed, but I doubt very much that they feel any need to repent or make up for the amazing season they had. I certainly don't think they do. Honestly, now. Tell me that you would stand two feet from Rodney Harrison and tell him that he had to repent and make up for this season. I'll visit you in the hospital if you do.

You also say that those of us who suggested that a loss during the regular season might have taken the pressure off the postseason are holding a "ludicrous" position.

Be careful. You're not the only Patriots fan on this board. Many of us feel that we have earned our right to our views and we have earned the right to express it out here without being ridiculed. Disagree if you will, but do it more respectfully.

We're all hurting from the loss. I for one am ready to take abuse from the Trolls. I don't need it from someone who claims to be a Pats fan.

exactly, view from the PATS players viewpoint and they would not take back anything except the flaws in the SB. A player would love to win EVERY GAME possible even though realistically they know the odds are small to achieve. It was a phenomanol year (we're at least AFC champs ) ...can't take that away...Have some pride!

I say go for it again if it is possible...who wants to lose a game? Not me..

I want another pursuit of perfection. Why?

- Insures us the first round bye and home field advantage.
- Demonstrates Pats' dominance.
- Can't screw it up much more than it got screwed up this year.... So downside is limited. Pats will be sure to maintain intensity in game 19.

I could do without the TD records, etc.

Next season will be easier pressure wise than this season...I hope they do well enough to get home field advantage and let the chips fall after that.

IMHO, what we need most for the POSTSEASON is a pair of athletic tackles...the Pats MUST give Brady time to deliver the ball to OPEN receivers and the Light/Kaczur tandem is too slow to handle quick move edge rushers.Neal is a good guard but he's injury prone in the shoulders every season...perhaps Kaczur #2 behind him would be a better fit. Light is average, we know this...I think foir Tom Brady's sake, the Pats get a TRUE dominant LT to protect his blind side

Yes, I would love to see the 2008-2009 Patriots go 19-0. The only condition I would attach to it, that it is the result of domination on all sides of the ball:
- A high-powered offense that can pass the ball with the likes of Welker, Moss, Gaffney as well as it can run it with Maroney and Morris (providing the question marks among those return as Patriots in 2008), scoring TDs at will, maybe even pushing the points record a bit higher;
- A suffocating defense that brings flashbacks to people about the 1985 Bears defense. A defense that makes opposing offenses look impotent and overmatched all the time instead of on occasion, and does a lot of scoring as well;
- And of course great special teams play, with Gostkowski nailing everything from the 45 and in, and several punt- and kick-returns for TDs.

Then we can look on this past season as a rehearsal. I'd love to see them enter SB XLIII breezing through the season and hammer whoever is the opponent from the NFC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand