PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes, Asiasi and Keene Are Flops

3rd round picks are supposed to make the team and contribute. That’s the bar. 4th and below and you’re lucky if they are regular contributors.

No it means they had lots of cash available to spend, you can’t really be this stupid, right??

Yeah, he actually can.

What's comical is the same people rushing to make these kids busts are the same idiots running around in "Cam Sucks" mode saying he can't throw a football.

It's Heads I Win, Tails You Lose Misery Platoon.

This is nonsense.

I think that we will win 10 or 11 games BECAUSE Belichick signed TE's0, rather than expecting his draftees to develop, which might easily have been the case. and BECAUSE Belichick recognized and recognize the need in the defensive front seven.

He understood that he had developing draftees like Cowart, Winovich, Bentley, Uche and Jennings. Did Belichick rely on the development of these draftees. No, he spent lots and lots of assets on the front seven.
==========
Belichick could have taken a wait and see position regarding TE's and the front seven. Many support the draft choices over the past 4 years, and think that these players would develop enough to make us successful. THANKFULLY, belichick recognized that lots and lots of help at this positions.

You are actually usually not a bad poster.

What's up with sudden embrace of the Dummy Squad like posting?

Many posters including myself were hoping they’d draft Adam Trautman. Harrison Bryant was also an option as a move TE. Instead, the took two players ranked below them by consensus.

The pats also drafted the best player on day 3 in Ownenu & someone that could end up as the steal of the entire draft. My intent isn’t to bash their draft last year. However, you saw a change in approach as their first three picks this year were all highly rated BPA types. That wasn’t the case with Jennings, Asiasi or Keene.

Many posters including myself were hoping they’d draft Adam Trautman. Harrison Bryant was also an option as a move TE. Instead, the took two players ranked below them by consensus.
I think he made like 99 percent of the Mock Drafts in the Draft forum posters made. Glad to see him playing well so far.

The pats also drafted the best player on day 3 in Ownenu & someone that could end up as the steal of the entire draft. My intent isn’t to bash their draft last year. However, you saw a change in approach as their first three picks this year were all highly rated BPA types. That wasn’t the case with Jennings, Asiasi or Keene.

New front office with Eliot Wolf, Matt Groh contributing. Not 3 stooges from John Carroll University anymore trying to be smart but being dumb (though still 1 but the low IQ looks to be neutralized)

Whose rankings should we listen to in determining the best player available... Mel Kiper, Colon Cowturd, CBS?

Wozzy had Keene ranked higher than Trautman. Adam Trautman had Drew Brees, Harrison Bryant had Baker Mayfield... the Pats rookies had Cam.

Imagine calling those 2 flops when they came into the league into an offense that wasn't anything they've ever been in, a weird year where they didn't get a proper pre-season and a QB that knew about as much as them regarding the Pats system and wasn't good last year, not to mention 1 of them missed 7 weeks in the middle of the season due an injury and the murder of a best friend and the other was always gonna be a multi-year project making the jump to the league

Adam Trautman

Trautman had 112 more yards than Asiasi while playing almost double the amount of snaps (393 vs 213). His best game was 3 rec 39 yards 1 TD. Asasi's best game was 2 rec 39 yards 1 TD. Guess going by the logic of the OP he was a flop too

Harrison Bryant

Bryant had 200 more yards than Asiasi while playing in almost triple the amount of snaps (591 vs 213),

Both played in better offenses (skill player wise) with better QB play than the Pats did.

Asiasi missed 7 games in the middle of the season because of his best friend dying and an injury. Trautman & Bryant missed only 1.

Also

TDs
Trautman- 1
Bryant- 3
Asiasi- 1

Either they are all flops or none of them were.

Last edited:
Trautman had 112 more yards than Asiasi while playing almost double the amount of snaps (393 vs 213). His best game was 3 rec 39 yards 1 TD. Asasi's best game was 2 rec 39 yards 1 TD. Guess going by the logic of the OP, he was a flop too

Bryant had 200 more yards than Asiasi while playing in almost triple the amount of snaps (591 vs 213),

Both played in better offenses (skill player wise) with better QB play than the Pats did.

Asiasi missed 7 games in the middle of the season because of his best friend dying and an injury. Trautman & Bryant missed only 1.

Also

TDs
Trautman- 1
Bryant- 3
Asiasi- 1

I think it's less that Asiasi is a flop definitively. I think he has potential. It's more that 2 expensive TE signings signal that his lane is closed at least for a little while. The ideal case is he develops so much the team makes roster adjustments in a year or two to accomidate his talent.

How about this...

Tight End is regarded by most experts as the most difficult position to contribute in on offense as a rookie.

The Patriots typically ask more of their Tight Ends than most other teams

They were rookies in a year where there was no training camp or preseason and had to learn the playbook on zoom.

They had a QB who was also new to the team and struggled with health and the system and couldn't throw accurate passes with any kind of consistency.

Added to that, they both missed significant time with injuries, Keene to his neck and Asiasi to his hamstring.

In Keene's case he was also tasked with FB duties, which added to his workload when it comes to studying the playbook.

If you actually watch the All-22, towards the end of the season Asiasi was open consistently when on the field but was never targeted.

Maybe they won't amount to anything, maybe they will both become starters in due course. I always try to be respectful to other people's opinions on here but to just write them off as flops after year one, with absolutely no context, is just an idiotic hot take in my opinion.
Let us accept all that you as true. What would I then be expecting from the two 3rd rounders in 2021 and 2022? Personally, I would think that I would be excited about them being my starters, with Izzo and LeCosse fighting for the #3 spot with a late round rookie. I don't think that I would find the need to spend $25M on the position. There were other uses for half the money. Extending Thuney, Gilmore or Jackson comes to mind. Others might have signed another WR or someone at another position. Others might have saved the cap money for later in the season.

Sure, we might have signed one of the TE's, to give us 3 solid TE's (at least 2).

You are actually usually not a bad poster.

What's up with sudden embrace of the Dummy Squad like posting?
I guess that I am a dummy to believe that Belichick was able to assess the talent and needs that he had at various positions, and then do a great job of using resources to fill those needs.

Trautman had 112 more yards than Asiasi while playing almost double the amount of snaps (393 vs 213). His best game was 3 rec 39 yards 1 TD. Asasi's best game was 2 rec 39 yards 1 TD. Guess going by the logic of the OP he was a flop too

Also

TDs
Trautman- 1
Bryant- 3
Asiasi- 1

Trautman 1.17 yards per route run
Harrison Bryant 0.94 yards per route run
Devin Asiasi 0.48 yards per route run
Dalton Keene 0.21 yards per route run

Asiasi & Keene’s numbers are both bottom 10 in the NFL for TEs with atleast 50 passing snaps.

The first two were competing with multiple viable pass catchers. Asiasi & Keene were not.

I guess that I am a dummy to believe that Belichick was able to assess the talent and needs that he had at various positions, and then do a great job of using resources to fill those needs.

So why do you have a grudge against young TE's?

Why are you so mad the Patriots had the most money and signed two excellent TE'S?

The first two were competing with multiple viable pass catchers. Asiasi & Keene were not.

This is even worse than the "net rest" stat.

So why do you have a grudge against young TE's?

Why are you so mad the Patriots had the most money and signed two excellent TE'S?

Look if things actually go well meaning both expensive new TEs are heavily used and very productive, then the young TEs likely won't be used much. If they play much this year it's a bad sign, someone got hurt or the offense isn't productive

Yeah, he actually can.

What's comical is the same people rushing to make these kids busts are the same idiots running around in "Cam Sucks" mode saying he can't throw a football.

It's Heads I Win, Tails You Lose Misery Platoon.
I think it's too early to tell on the youn TEs. Cam sucks at throwing the football and is the worst starting qb in the league.

Let us accept all that you as true. What would I then be expecting from the two 3rd rounders in 2021 and 2022? Personally, I would think that I would be excited about them being my starters, with Izzo and LeCosse fighting for the #3 spot with a late round rookie. I don't think that I would find the need to spend $25M on the position. There were other uses for half the money. Extending Thuney, Gilmore or Jackson comes to mind. Others might have signed another WR or someone at another position. Others might have saved the cap money for later in the season.

Sure, we might have signed one of the TE's, to give us 3 solid TE's (at least 2).
I think the chances to massively upgrade the position presented itself and BB took it. The young guys will still rotate in during the game and provide injury insurance. I don't see anything wrong here.

Asiasi & Keene’s numbers are both bottom 10 in the NFL for TEs with atleast 50 passing snaps.

Gunner Olszewski was the #1 WR last year in that stat at 7.23 yards.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back