PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Xs and Os: adding a deep-threat WR to the "new" offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for fitting a deep threat into this offense, it could work just fine. That deep threat needs to be a lot more than just a deep threat though. Desean Jackson and Mike Wallace have no place in this offense. They'd become what Moss was. The real need is a player with elite speed who can also run all the routes. They have to be able to do the comeback, the deep out, the deep in, etc. Basically, we need Branch, but faster. I think both Tate and Price have that kind of ability, which is one reason I don't think we'll see a high-round WR in the coming draft.

The only out I remember was the one to Moss in last year's Saints game that got picked off. It's such a money play for a lot of teams, though, so I'd love to see more of it. And I completely agree on Price. He's Branch's replacement, probably after one more season. All that remains to be seen is if Tate will ever be a true #2 WR or if somebody else will be needed.

After a full season of work, Tate, who I've defended vigorously defended on other boards for his overall contributions compared to his hypothetical predecessor (Aiken), still isn't running deep routes well enough and doesn't appear to be able to get open at all on any other routes. Not that I'm advocating dumping Tate yet, but I think we're shopping again for that spot this off-season.

Tate isn't all that great IMO and could be upgraded. He had a few great returns early in the year. Then nothing special. And he rarely makes any deep catches on offense. He's Bethel Johnson with a better attitude.

As I wrote above, Tate isn't making it YET as a WR in my eyes.

OTOH, his KRs in the first four games persuaded all but maybe two of our subsequent regular-season opponents (those with great coverage units or really strong-legged kickers) to kick away from Tate which resulted in great field position for us.

In the first four games, Tate got his hands on 90% of kickoffs. In the remaining 12, it was about 55%. Our average starting FP after "avoidance" kickoffs was around the 35. So, really, the threat of Tate ended up becoming more valuable than the reality of Tate.

I didn't say that. My question is how do you incorporate such a player into this offense without wrecking it?

Not that it will be easy or cheap, but basically you get a guy who can do everything that Branch does, PLUS be a legit deep threat, and replace Branch. Then, you get another "Branch PLUS" and replace Tate (or turn Tate/Price into a "Branch PLUS").

Not that it will be easy or cheap, but basically you get a guy who can do everything that Branch does, PLUS be a legit deep threat, and replace Branch. Then, you get another "Branch PLUS" and replace Tate (or turn Tate/Price into a "Branch PLUS").

I'm thinking Steve Smith from Carolina, he HATES being there and wants out, maybe they try to get some value from him now as opposed to him being "injured" a good part of next year.

I'm thinking Steve Smith from Carolina, he HATES being there and wants out, maybe they try to get some value from him now as opposed to him being "injured" a good part of next year.

Meh. The feature that made him "elite" for his career was his speed and he's lost most of that over the past couple years due to age/injury. Plus, his attitude is very questionable.

What Brady doesn't have is that receiver that makes those "wow" catches. Sanchez was able to put the ball in spots where only his receiver could catch it and they made the plays. IMO the Pats don't have a player like Holmes who can make that type of catch in the corner. Especially with physical DB's like Revis

Last edited:
What Brady doesn't have is that receiver that makes those "wow" catches. Sanchez was able to put the ball in spots where only his receiver could catch it and they made the plays. IMO the Pats don't have a player like Holmes who can make that type of catch in the corner. Especially with physical DB's like Revis

Actually, Sanchez has three who are capable of that, as Holmes, Cotchery and Edwards have all demonstrated, one way or another. Brady needs more than just one. If Sanchez gets himself a really good slot guy and a second TE who can catch (and learns how to use them), the Jets offense is only going to get more dangerous - to go along with their defense.

Our young kids proved yesterday one thing. They are young kids. When we have one or two good Drafts, this forum goes buld-through-the-draft is the only way crazy. We forget how 2007 was made and how the Saints won the SB (Brees, Shockey, Thomas, Vilma, Sharper, Gay, Fujita etc.....playmakers that year). Trades and FA mix is important. Yes, 2007 was still way more fun and productive even in lieu of one miracle catch and a few bad calls, way better than this year in my opinion. How can anyone say this year was better?

Your right, just trying to feed your argument with some facts.
Nearly half of the 65 players who ended the season on the New Orleans Saints' roster or injured reserve list could become free agents.

New Orleans Saints face pressing contract issues in offseason: analysis | NOLA.com

New Orleans Saints depth chart, contract status | NOLA.com

Payton has a couple rules we know of.

1. Players from the draft rarely amount to much in the 1-2 year. He believes they make to many mistakes, he prefers to draft positions by scouting using FA or UFA. load the 2-3rd string with newbies and move them up slowly. Ivory, and graham only played because we didn't have anyone left. We drafted Roby and Arrington, and they have just started to see the field after 2-3 years.

2. He prefers to only draft Left Tackles for every position on the OL except center, he figures they can play every position if they were a LT in college. Most of our OL were LT in college.

3. He never drafts for position needed. He drafts best player available. We didn't need Graham TE or Robinson CB, we needed a DT,DE, or LB. But as I said he likes to get guys off the FA or trades.

hope that helps

A large physical WR that press DB's can't intimidate, AKA Julio Jones, would really help Brady and our offense.

A large physical WR that press DB's can't intimidate, AKA Julio Jones, would really help Brady and our offense.

If he's there in the 20's after we pick a passruher, he'd be great. C/G or DE at 33 if it isn't addressed during FA. Can't wait until FA starts so we have a better idea of what to expect come draft time.

Last edited:
There need be no wait for several key decisions. Our own players can be extended at any time. The first three decisions will certainly affect the rest of the offseason.

Mankins
Light
Warren
Ojinnaka
White
Page
Faulk
Morris
Taylor

If he's there in the 20's after we pick a passruher, he'd be great. C/G or DE at 33 if it isn't addressed during FA. Can't wait until FA starts so we have a better idea of what to expect come draft time.

Cousin, Jones would be a good pick. As you can see we still have to move up and it will cost us. I say give those two picks (1st and 3rd) to AZ for Fitzgerald.

I would give up those two picks for Fitzgerald in a heart beat.

I agree.

I'd go Kerrigan in the 1A, then Jones in 1B. I'm not sold on C. Hey.

I see no way Jones gets out of the teens. I know plenty of people who have him as a top-10 pick. We'd either have to take him at 17 or not at all, and I'd rather get defense there.

Last edited:
Price is going to be our answer next year, just watch.

Price lacks the wheels to be a true deep threat.
Look at guys like Wallace and Jacoby Ford.
Those are the types of guys that will make a defense fearful of the deep ball.
The annoying part is we could have picked Wallace instead of Tate.
Wallace went at the very next pick to the Steelers.

It's apparent that there is a lack of a legitimate deep threat on the Pats. But on top of that the OL play needs to improve in pressure situations. Tate wasn't getting open but it wasn't like Tom had a lot of time to look for him either. The Jets coverage was also very sticky, so I suppose you have to credite their DBs for that.

Price lacks the wheels to be a true deep threat.

How would you know, have you seen him unsuccessfully try to run deep routes that would indicate that?

I'm ready for Edelman to take over Tate's KR duties.

I'm ready for Edelman to take over Tate's KR duties.

PR != KR.

It's very rare that anyone does both (one of the few people in recent years to handle both, ironically, was Welker).

Not saying Edelman can't be a good KR (heck, Maroney had two 70+-yard TD returns in a three-week span in 2006), just that the skills don't always translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes