PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Mohamed Massaquoi at #58 for the Pats?

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Somewhere along the draft the Patriots will no doubt select a receiver to add to the WR corps that gets very thin at #4 after Galloway.

I do not see a WR right now that the Pats would value enough to draft in thier first three picks (should they keep those 3) so after that I think we take one.

Since Harvin,Nicks and the others expected to be picked above Mohamed,I think IF Massaquoi is not gone by #58 I would definately take Mohamed late in round 2 as after #58 he could be gone anytime soon.

Is Massaquoi a smart selection at this #58 pick? - I would say it would be a good move if they did.

Doesn't he only run in the 4.6 range?

The last two times BB gambled on a 2rd round WR, weren't they both very fast, Jackson and Johnson?

Massequoi is supposedly flying up draft boards, and I'm not sure why. I don't see him as a 2nd round value. I hope he does shoot up, and knocks someone else down to us at 58.

Somewhere along the draft the Patriots will no doubt select a receiver to add to the WR corps that gets very thin at #4 after Galloway.

what team in the league has WR's that are any good after their #2 WR, let alone their #3 WR. I think we are deep at WR, at least short term. I do think we need to try and develop a #1 WR to eventually take over for Moss

I do not see a WR right now that the Pats would value enough to draft in thier first three picks (should they keep those 3) so after that I think we take one.

Since Harvin,Nicks and the others expected to be picked above Mohamed,I think IF Massaquoi is not gone by #58 I would definately take Mohamed late in round 2 as after #58 he could be gone anytime soon.

Is Massaquoi a smart selection at this #58 pick? - I would say it would be a good move if they did.

Would he be bringing his tub of butter along to grease up his hands in the pros?

I have never been able to project wide receivers coming out of college. I mean, at all. That said, I'm not sure about the wisdom of drafting a guy who runs slower than a linebacker who also suffers from the dropsies.

Massaquoi and Nicks actually played football at the same High School together and Hakeem had said that his HS never lost a football game during his 4 years playing there.

Can you imagine a young HS QB with Nicks and Massaquoi as his WRs at his disposal? - No wonder they never lost a game,even thier defense probably only had to hold thier opponents under 40

Last edited:
legitimate talent played in the SEC. Reminds me of Amani Toomer from Giants.

I think we are deep at WR, at least short term. I do think we need to try and develop a #1 WR to eventually take over for Moss

I don't. In my mind, WR's don't seem to hit any more often in the high rounds than the later ones. I think you offer a first for some disgrunted WR stud on a poor team when Moss retires. IE, Roy Williams last year, or OchoCinco, or Boldin, or one of those guys.

They take so long to develope and hit so inconsistently that its almost a wasted pick.

Would he be bringing his tub of butter along to grease up his hands in the pros?

I have never been able to project wide receivers coming out of college. I mean, at all. That said, I'm not sure about the wisdom of drafting a guy who runs slower than a linebacker who also suffers from the dropsies.

I couldn't agree more. I think he's a fifth round guy. I could see taking a possession guy like Iglesias or Dillard in the third, but I don't know what Massaquoi offers us. He's never going to be a #1 WR, so I don't get the line of thinking that he's the long-term replacement for Moss.

legitimate talent played in the SEC. Reminds me of Amani Toomer from Giants.

I would say Freddie Mitchell would be a better comparison:D

I would not take this kid before day two I am just not a fan of his route running and bad hands. He played with one of the best QB's in the country and his production was not that great untill his senior year. I will not even get into his blocking as it was non existent in college.

Last edited:
He was quite a bit of a butterfinger in his first year or two but 2008 showed him to be one of the better WRs in the SE Conference - 58 receptions for 920 yards and 8 TDs which is quite a difference from his 2007 season which was just 32 receptions for 491 yards - Thats quite an accomplishment and improvement from Junior to Senior year

Could he be maturing at the right time to advance and become a good pro or was 2008 just a fluke?

NFL teams may have to wonder before they draft him of just what they think they will be getting with Mohamed, if he is a WR with a bright future? or will he resort back to the butterfinger days and a few injuries he had during that time as well?

I still like the kid and think he is ready to advance but know one will know till he plays against the big boys.

If we did draft him I would give him a 60% chance to be a Deion Branch type player for us and a 40% chance of being a Chad Jackson or Bethel Johnson type bust - Its a gamble but then again ANY player is

Last edited:
Pats worked him out. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll end up being a Patriot sometime in the second.

I'm ambivalent about him: watching him his senior year, there were games where he looked outstanding; but I didn't notice him prior really, and have read some negatives that spook me. So not sure what M&M the NFL will get ... but I guess that's part of the fun.

I wouldn't have a problem with the pick, as I think if he pans out, he's a great complement to Moss & Welker.

what team in the league has WR's that are any good after their #2 WR, let alone their #3 WR. I think we are deep at WR, at least short term. I do think we need to try and develop a #1 WR to eventually take over for Moss

Why not draft Greg Jennings in the second round, yes he comes from a no-name school but the guy can flat out play. Oh wait, that's right, we traded that pick to move up and grab Chad Jackson.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH

I know, I know I mention this every like 2 months, but you have no idea how many hours of sleep I've lost over that move. I wanted us to draft Jennings SOOO BADLY.

Lewis is probably one of the better #4 wide receivers in the league. That being said, why would we use a 2nd for a WR unless his value were very high? It seems that Brady did pretty well in 2007. We now have Galloway and Lewis instead of Stallworth and Gaffney. I think that we're in fine shape. The patriots needed to address the wide receiver position, and we did, by signing Galloway and Lewis.

Going into the offseason, we also needed help at TE. Baker was signed to a long-term contract.

And as a last help to the passing game, the patriots needed to upgrade the running game. The patriots signed Taylor.
====================

Sure we could draft a wide receiver for the future. However, I think Belichick has quite rightly decided that, for the patriots, the best route to finding receivers is through free agency or through trade. Slater is the only receiver on the squad that was drafted by the patriots. Both Ventrone and Aiken were signed as free agents.

I'd rather have Nicks or Robiskie. I just dunno about Massaquoi. Did he blow someone's socks off at his pro day?

Pats worked him out. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll end up being a Patriot sometime in the second.

I'm ambivalent about him: watching him his senior year, there were games where he looked outstanding; but I didn't notice him prior really, and have read some negatives that spook me. So not sure what M&M the NFL will get ... but I guess that's part of the fun.

I wouldn't have a problem with the pick, as I think if he pans out, he's a great complement to Moss & Welker.

He's an iffy guy who drops a lot of balls but he's a 2nd round pick?

I'd rather have Nicks or Robiskie. I just dunno about Massaquoi. Did he blow someone's socks off at his pro day?

I agree, I think Massaquoi is good but not as much potential as Nicks and Robiskie. Robiskie is the best rout runner in this draft IMO so I think he could help us the most as a pure wideout. Nicks has better upside but I still learning and he may not be ready to step on the field game one. I also think that Massaquoi benifited greatly from having AJ Green and Moore around him with Stafford throwing and Knowshon helping out in the run game. I dont think you can use that against him but its something to think about.

Last edited:

I was high on Nicks aswell but I just heard last night on Total Access that he gained 20lbs and had a hard time finishing his drills at his pro day and was not conditioned at all. Has anyone heard this??

I was high on Nicks aswell but I just heard last night on Total Access that he gained 20lbs and had a hard time finishing his drills at his pro day and was not conditioned at all. Has anyone heard this??

I heard this as well but I dont think it was 20lbs and I dont think he was out of shape. I think that he is still a late first-mid second talent.

I heard this as well but I dont think it was 20lbs and I dont think he was out of shape. I think that he is still a late first-mid second talent.

Caserly was the one going on about it and when he ran 10 routes he had to stop at nine due to conditioning??? As I said I really liked this guy during last season.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back