PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wouldn't mind a trade for Jack Doyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone in this but I've always loved Doyle's attitude, and he's one of those "pretty good at everything" TEs who's not a super star but great to have and easy to build around. He'd be an instant upgrade over Izzo and a great mentor type to take our two rookie TEs under his wing.

He's also getting to an age where if the Colts falter and need to rethink their rebuild, which is looking possible after being embarrassed by the Jags of all teams, he might be put on the market in an effort to get younger.

JMHO, but if Ballard wants to make some calls involving Doyle, I'd love to see Belichick make him an offer that makes sense for both teams.

Indy has already paid Doyle his $6 million roster bonus for 2020, creating a disincentive for the Colts to trade him now - at least early in the season.

Picking Doyle up later in the season would be fine from a cap perspective, but it would most likely only be for the remainder of 2020 and not beyond with the Pats.

Next year Doyle's contract calls for him to make $4,350,000 in base salary and a $500,000 per game roster bonus. Add in a $250,000 roster bonus and you have $12 million going to Doyle if he plays 15 games. That is not remotely close to a good value for the Patriots, and even more so considering the tight end will be 31.

The final year of Doyle's contract is similar, with a base of $4,750,000 and another $500,000 per game.

To make it worthwhile to the Patriots, Doyle would need to agree to a pay cut for those final two years of his contract. But if I am Doyle or his agent, why do that? It would make more sense to let the Colts cut him and become a free agent - where he can negotiate with 32 teams, rather than just one.

To me a long range viewpoint of letting Asiasi and Keene gain some experience this season - without surrendering a draft pick for a one year rental - is a better plan.

Jack o'doyle?

640e196c7eb9238ce8327484b06f04ea.jpeg

I thought maybe a character out of Gangs of New York. Maybe Law and Order.

Doyle is dealing with a bad ankle/knee ... and its bad enough that he is going to sit out this weeks game... i think i'll pass on giving up anything worthwhile for Jack Doyle

Doyle is dealing with a bad ankle/knee ... and its bad enough that he is going to sit out this weeks game... i think i'll pass on giving up anything worthwhile for Jack Doyle

I don't think that Doyle is, or should be available.

The colts paid him a $6M roster bonus and should keep him.

That being said, you don't want to give up anything worthwhile for someone who would likely be our #1 TE after the bye, and a #1 or #2 for the next 3 years. For me, that position is just plain silly.

Yeah the short term injury concerns notwithstanding. Doyle is definitely the kind of guy I'd like to see this team add. Not a flashy star but a solid contributing veteran with several years of experience who can provide mentorship for Keene and Asiasi.

I don't think that Doyle is, or should be available.

The colts paid him a $6M roster bonus and should keep him.

That being said, you don't want to give up anything worthwhile for someone who would likely be our #1 TE after the bye, and a #1 or #2 for the next 3 years. For me, that position is just plain silly.

even if we could get him, no I dont. He is injured & has finished only one full season in the last four years... why would i spend for that?

if i am going to go after a tight end, i'd be going after Ertz in Philly.

Giving up anything at this point is ridiculous.

To me a long range viewpoint of letting Asiasi and Keene gain some experience this season - without surrendering a draft pick for a one year rental - is a better plan.

I wish they had a better TE to mentor them, but, yeah, I have high hopes for those two.

I wish they had a better TE to mentor them,

that's where I see a guy like Doyle, a veteran who can't carry a team but will do a bit of everything, being of great value. It doesn't have to be Doyle necessarily, although Doyle does check all the boxes as a veteran with a great attitude and the ability to do a little of everything making him an ideal mentor figure.

Not a huge fan of Izzo, as he has not shown all that much.. but will wait and see how Asiasi and Keene compliment this offense..

That is is a lot of $$ tied up in cap space for Doyle..

Indy has already paid Doyle his $6 million roster bonus for 2020, creating a disincentive for the Colts to trade him now - at least early in the season.

Picking Doyle up later in the season would be fine from a cap perspective, but it would most likely only be for the remainder of 2020 and not beyond with the Pats.

Next year Doyle's contract calls for him to make $4,350,000 in base salary and a $500,000 per game roster bonus. Add in a $250,000 roster bonus and you have $12 million going to Doyle if he plays 15 games. That is not remotely close to a good value for the Patriots, and even more so considering the tight end will be 31.

The final year of Doyle's contract is similar, with a base of $4,750,000 and another $500,000 per game.

To make it worthwhile to the Patriots, Doyle would need to agree to a pay cut for those final two years of his contract. But if I am Doyle or his agent, why do that? It would make more sense to let the Colts cut him and become a free agent - where he can negotiate with 32 teams, rather than just one.

I entered this thread to agree with the op, until i read this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing