PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Thuney to improve WR/TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Through a quarter of the season the Pats appear to have a rare commodity in the NFL with 6 starting quality OL:

LT Isaiah Wynn
LG Joe Thuney
C David Andrews
RG Shaq Mason
RT Jermaine Eluemunor

G/T Michael Onwenu

They have played a big part in the team's 2nd ranked rushing offense. They are also T-10th in sacks allowed despite Hoyer's efforts against the Chiefs.

Meanwhile, injuries (& a lack of talent) are mounting across the league. There could be an opportunity at the deadline to move Thuney to a desperate team.

Michael Gallup WR Cowboys

The Cowboys can't play defense or protect Dak. Meanwhile one of the more talented young WRs in the league in Michael Gallup has been relegated to 5th in targets.

+16.9 career YPR
+1107 yards in 2019

Anthony Miller WR Bears

The Bears are now squarely in the playoff race. Miller is 4th in targets behind Robinson & now 5th round rookie Darnell Mooney.

+7 TDs as a rookie
+productive 2nd year despite Trubisky

Zach Ertz TE Eagles

The Eagles OL is a disaster & Carson Wentz is regressing. Ertz is struggling as he is playing for a contract with Goedert in the wings.

+top 5 receiving TE prior to this year
+cap is reasonable

I heard Bedard mention a Thuney trade a possibility. There could be some options around the trade deadline.

I think moving Thuney hurts them in the running game, which is obviously one of their positives currently. So the problem there would be you'd improve one area but weaken another. Needless to say, I'd prefer to keep Thuney, especially given how versatile he is and with Covid, that could continue being important this season.

I would and hope that what we have seen out of Owenu isn't a fluke. Cant imagine we would get a ton for him considering his price tag and the fact he will be needing to be paid.

Nah, with Cam we can play against anybody it was proven vs KC and Thuney was a big part of that.

It's a great football question. I would say no. The Oline is a strength of the team and weakening this foundation by trading Thuney weakens both our pass protection and our running game. It's one step forward for two steps back.

No. No. No. and did I say "NO".

Thuney is, bar none, their best offensive player. He's better than Cam. That much is obvious considering how he's helping this line produce 150+ yard rushing attacks from both LG and C.

You extend Thuney and let Andrews and Eluemenor walk in free agency using the draft picks to replace the 3rd round pick the league stole during it's ridiculous finding about the filming incident during the Browns/Bengals game.

You use the money that is free next year to address the WR position as well as continuing to develop Harry and Olszewski.

This is a tough one. I love Gallup (personal fav and graded out well 2nd round) and have thought of him as a trade candidate tbh. Problem is he might actually be there best WR rn. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go but think Cooper is as likely. Maybe less bc of his contract but you'll be paying Gallup soon enough after giving up a 1st/2nd or player like Thuney.
Great player though, maybe their most complete WR. Thought he would be great here pre-draft. Tough blocker, at catch point. Despite size he can go up and get it. Calculated rr, better than perceived. Yac.

If I'm Dallas I'm building around Lamb/Gallup and seeing what I can get for Cooper. Even Zeke if someone would take their contracts.

No. But if BB doesn't think we can keep him maybe BB needs to try steal two 1st round picks for Joe Thuney.

Oh and your list of trade options is straight trash. BB should try to get two 1st round picks AND one of those guys while sending Thuney and a 4th rounder or something.

Offer Dimitroff a 1st in '21 and a 3rd in '22 that could become a 2nd for Julio

Or send a 4th to Quinn & Patricia for Marvin Jones (he's a FA after this year so if Gronk was a 4th, Jones isn't more than a 4th)

This is a tough one. I love Gallup (personal fav and graded out well 2nd round) and have thought of him as a trade candidate tbh. Problem is he might actually be there best WR rn. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go but think Cooper is as likely. Maybe less bc of his contract but you'll be paying Gallup soon enough after giving up a 1st/2nd or player like Thuney.
Great player though, maybe their most complete WR. Thought he would be great here pre-draft. Tough blocker, at catch point. Despite size he can go up and get it. Calculated rr, better than perceived. Yac.

If I'm Dallas I'm building around Lamb/Gallup and seeing what I can get for Cooper. Even Zeke if someone would take their contracts.

Bacon, do you really think the Cowboys could find a taker for Coopers contract? I think he singed a 5 year deal earlier this year for about a 100 mil.

Please don’t.....They should be offering him a long term deal before he hits open market. Tough to do with COVID-19 implications. Elite, versatile OL are hard to find.

Thuney is one of the best players regardless of position we have ever had. You don't trade a guy that can play at an elite level anywhere on the line.

Normally I would say:
Trade trade trade
But
This team is so lacking in foundation pieces
And
Clearly Thuney is such a piece
So
Extend extend extend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes