Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade our 1st rd pick for Rosen and Fitzgerald?

• Yes

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 49 62.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only prospect I'd be interested in moving up for is Devin Bush. He has the potential to be a generational LB, and Bush paired with Bentley would solidify the position for quite awhile. In the meantime, a LB corp of Hightower, Bentley, Bush, KVN, and Roberts would be strong. Having another true ILB would give KVN and Hightower the flexibility to play more on the edge and rush the passer.

BB has never traded a future pick to move up in the draft.

Just because he hasn’t done something before it doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do so now. He traded up twice in a first round for Jones and Hightower and he had never done that before either.

That’s too much to move up. Sure there’s a drop off from TJ to guys like Knox/Sternberger but not worth the draft capital your suggesting.

I thought so too earlier in the process, but if Hockenson is as good as he’s being billed he would be as good a replacement for Gronk as they are going to find. I doubt he will drop far enough but if he does I could see them making the move.

Rosen and Fitzgerald

Can we just stop. The Cardinals just re-signed Fitzgerald to a 1 year deal with the entire amount guaranteed. He's not going to be traded.

Absolutely not. Why? Because the Cardinals have zero leverage if they take Kyler Murray and every team knows it. Taking two quarterbacks in the top 10 two consecutive years in a row is the type of s**t you do in Madden when you don’t like the quarterbacks attributes and draft another one the following year.

In fact, if they take Kyler Murray, offers should be even lower. The Cardinals keeping two top 10 first round picks at quarterback would be hilarious.
I don’t believe they are taking Murray and never were

Id rather spend a 1st for a proven starter on a roookie contract or reasonable deal. Something like the cooks trade where we can still get the first back if we decide not to keep him long term . Seems like the safest way to plug a hole. Id use it on any of wr/dt/te/ot/de, wherever they feel less confident on the draft.

Y’all need to stop driving up Rosen’s price if you actually want him.

Also: no.
Anonymous Message board posts affect trade value?

The only prospect I'd be interested in moving up for is Devin Bush. He has the potential to be a generational LB, and Bush paired with Bentley would solidify the position for quite awhile. In the meantime, a LB corp of Hightower, Bentley, Bush, KVN, and Roberts would be strong. Having another true ILB would give KVN and Hightower the flexibility to play more on the edge and rush the passer.

Would be funny If this was the year we targeted LB early since it seemed we’ve begged for it for the past few years and nothing happened. Especially with the apparent needs at other spots.

Just because he hasn’t done something before it doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do so now. He traded up twice in a first round for Jones and Hightower and he had never done that before either.

BB has traded up plenty of times, including in the first round. Daniel Graham and Ty Warren come immediately to mind.

The biggest difference between the Belichick Patriots and the entire rest of the league in draft strategy is the value they place on future picks. Trading away current picks for future higher picks is essentially unknown outside New England, while mortgaging future picks in favor of right now is unknown here. Anything's possible, but that one would be a shocker.

Last edited:
I don't get what people see in rosen.

No way.

Fitzgerald is at the end of his shelf life and Rosen has accomplished nothing in the NFL

Rosen will make a fine Redskin. Guess the Giants are going full tank, for a QB next year. Thought for sure they'd be in the Rosen sweepstakes. They're obviously smarter than I thought.

I would trade our first round pick so that we have 2 next year to help pick a 1st round QB.
No guarantees Cousin. First round QB next year could be a pipe dream if we had three picks in the 1st round. Rosen this year is the closest we get. He had a year of adversity. That will only help him.
Then if we miss out on a top QB next year....wait again for 2021?
Rosen has warts. The rest of this QB class does as well.
Rosen is stated as the 2nd best QB if he was drafted in this class.

Haskins had one year
Murray is a unique player but everyone is now looking for Russell Wilson. Think Bishop but smaller a few years ago.
Locke is this years' Allen.
Jones is a player of unknowns because of a mediocre supporting cast
Grier is a potential backup.

Choose one.
DW Toys

Who are the projected 6th round QB's this year? Asking for a friend :D

BB has traded up plenty of times, including in the first round. Daniel Graham and Ty Warren come immediately to mind.

The biggest difference between the Belichick Patriots and the entire rest of the league in draft strategy is the value they place on future picks. Trading away current picks for future higher picks is essentially unknown outside New England, while mortgaging future picks in favor of right now is unknown here. Anything's possible, but that one would be a shocker.

I think it just comes down to their view of Hockenson. Is he the next Gronk or is he Kyle Rudolph. If he’s Gronk then do it, if he’s Rudolph then don’t. I don’t know the answer, and I doubt he will drop far enough for it to be an option, but some mocks have him in the late teens and early 20’s, which would put him in play. If he goes top 15 I would think he’s out of reach.

And people need to remember that they will
Once again have at least 3 3rd round picks next year, so packaging one with this year’s picks wouldn’t do much damage

Absolutely not. Why? Because the Cardinals have zero leverage if they take Kyler Murray and every team knows it. Taking two quarterbacks in the top 10 two consecutive years in a row is the type of s**t you do in Madden when you don’t like the quarterbacks attributes and draft another one the following year.

In fact, if they take Kyler Murray, offers should be even lower. The Cardinals keeping two top 10 first round picks at quarterback would be hilarious.
The Cardinals have plenty of leverage. Rosen is set to make pittance the next few years.

Did the Patriots not have any leverage when they had Brady and Garoppolo on the roster? Because the majority of this board seemed to think that the Patriots could strong arm other teams into giving us whatever we wanted for Jimmy.

The Cardinals will get fair value for Rosen. If they don't, they might as well hang on to him. Teams need backup quarterbacks too.

Now, this is all moot, because Arizona will trade Rosen. But this notion that they don't have leverage or are going to get steamrolled in a trade is silly.

OTOH, he will gladly trade away future picks for castaways from the Island of Misfit Toys.

OTOH, he will gladly trade away future picks for castaways from the Island of Misfit Toys.

True that! Though I suspect that if we rounded up the total results from all those trades, we'd be reasonably pleased with the results. Randy Moss and Kyle Van Noy are two happy examples. And Moss and Brandin Cooks are two who ended up re-traded for higher picks than they were acquired for.

Huh--I just looked up the Van Noy trade, I forgot that it included a lower pick back from the Lions. The Patriots have done that a lot in recent years, it seems to me. Maybe the broader principle is that the sheer number of chances (players or picks) matters. So trading a pick away into the future is ok, but bundling a future pick with current picks is undesirable. Etc.

True that! Though I suspect that if we rounded up the total results from all those trades, we'd be reasonably pleased with the results. Randy Moss and Kyle Van Noy are two happy examples. And Moss and Brandin Cooks are two who ended up re-traded for higher picks than they were acquired for.

Huh--I just looked up the Van Noy trade, I forgot that it included a lower pick back from the Lions. The Patriots have done that a lot in recent years, it seems to me. Maybe the broader principle is that the sheer number of chances (players or picks) matters. So trading a pick away into the future is ok, but bundling a future pick with current picks is undesirable. Etc.

They've made 14 trades in the last several years involving a swap of picks (you get a 5th, I get a 7th sort of deal). No other team had more than 7 during that time span. I'll have to find the article later; it's quite intriguing.

EDIT: Patriots have dominated in ‘pick swap’ trades – Boston Herald

@patchick you'll probably enjoy this read.

Last edited:
They've made 14 trades in the last several years involving a swap of picks (you get a 5th, I get a 7th sort of deal). No other team had more than 7 during that time span. I'll have to find the article later; it's quite intriguing.

EDIT: Patriots have dominated in ‘pick swap’ trades – Boston Herald

@patchick you'll probably enjoy this read.

Hey, instant confirmation of a vague impression I just stated! :D

It reminds me of this thread I started some years back, showing that the Patriots were virtually unique in their willingness to trade present draft value for greater future value:
Yes, BB is unique in working the draft.

Put them together and you start to see a genuine draft philosophy emerging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down