PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Maroney Draft day for choices even at $700K CAP cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) It is NOT a lock that we draft a running back in the first three rounds, as you imply.

2) We have lots of picks to play with.

3) There just MIGHT be a draft pick or UDFA who can show enough to beat out Green-Ellis for a roster spot. It is Green-Ellis' roster spot that is at risk.

4) Maroney is inexpensive and is a decent kick returner. We should work with him in camp. Perhaps he can also be a punt returner.

A lot of Mocks have us taking Donald Brown in the second. We don't need Maroney and Brown, do we? If we could draft an O-Lineman like a Cadigan or Lang in the third, now does it makes sense to get that third form someone else for Maroney? I am just sayin. I think it is almost a guarantee we draft an RB....why?
DW Toys

NO NO NO NO NO who ever posted this chat is nuts! he answered his own question in his own message. You dont trade a dude with that low a cap charge unless your getting a high 2nd round pick and even that's pushing it. Maroney will be fine this year a la Deangelo Williams this year turning into circa Barry Sanders 1997. Im no saying he will do that but still he'll contribute.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it unless we could get to within, say, 5 picks of where we drafted him. So, for example, I wouldn't take the third pick in the second round for him.

At first glance I would say no.....but he is a chip and we do have depth at that position, Green Ellis is viable and they may see value in a later rd RB. He could be added to a pick in swapping for a vet(say our low or mid 2nd and him for 85--Cincy needs another RB) in a position where we dont have enough depth as a deal sweetener. But its almost guaranteed that Morris, Taylor and LM dont all make it through the season healthy. I wouldnt bet on it, but the FO has been unpredictable on draft day.

I am glad that it appears most people are against this idea. Maroney can be a feature back in this league, he just needs to remain healthy. The good news is that his injuries have been of the upper body variety as opposed to a knee or foot. I think LoMo has a great shot to be a big time player this year, and you don't trade that for a 3rd round pick. There are plenty of examples of running backs who were injured early in their career, only to live up to their potential later. A lot of people have brought up Fred Taylor and that's a good comparison, but so is Robert Smith.

I'm definitely in the no camp here, as others have pointed out he is a very good value at his salary. People get caught up in where he was drafted but you have to look at his value objectively. The Maroney draft was years ago, it is no longer important.

I agree with the above comment that states that just as Fred Taylor is an apt comparison, Robert Smith is a good comparison as well. Living in Viking country, Smith was constantly belittled for an inability to stay healthy, but he eventually put it together and was one of the finest backs in the league at the time he abruptly retired. Maroney is a good back, and if they can have a rotation of Taylor, Maroney, Morris and Faulk in the backfield along with all those receiving weapons and Number 12 tossing it around, they will be dynamite. Maroney is just one more weapon, and is a good value.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in the no camp here, as others have pointed out he is a very good value at his salary. People get caught up in where he was drafted but you have to look at his value objectively. The Maroney draft was years ago, it is no longer important.

I agree with the above comment that states that just as Fred Taylor is an apt comparison, Robert Smith is a good comparison as well. Living in Viking country, Smith was constantly belittled for an inability to stay healthy, but he eventually put it together and was one of the finest backs in the league at the time he abruptly retired. Maroney is a good back, and if they can have a rotation of Taylor, Maroney, Morris and Faulk in the backfield along with all those receiving weapons and Number 12 tossing it around, they will be dynamite. Maroney is just one more weapon, and is a good value.

What you say is all true and feasible. What I am just saying is that little did we know Maroney is flawed in bad field vision (everybody has one or two but this is a disaster for a RB). We all agree with that. His vision is what has prevented him from a decent R.O.I. of a first round pick as much as injuries. I don't know if you can change that or coach it up.

My question was if someone would offer us a second rounder or third and we can pick up a Andre Brown or Jennings, are either "as capable" as Maroney? But first of all the Pats would lose $700k on a CAP hit. I would love to see the kid succeed but you can't coach good vision. All I am saying is if you had a chance to draft one of those backs with the choice you got for Maroney, would you take it now rather than gamble that he somehow becomes decent in 2010?

Cousins, we all agree that this is his final chance. If he fails he will be worthless in value in 2010. What if you could get an Eric Wood or Robiske or a Gilbert with that pick? Do we keep Maroney as our second but more likely third string guy, or move him? I think Taylor is the starting back for the Pats in 2009.

Here is another way to look at it to verify what I am saying: It's forth and goal from the opponents two yard line and we are behind by 4 with 30 seconds left in the game. Who do you want with the ball in their hand when we have to score?:

a) Taylor

b) Morris

c) Faulk

d) Maroney

I did not put in the Law Firm.

I think you will see where I am going with this. I like the kid but.........

As they say, in the NFL perhaps the easiest piece to replace with a new one is RB.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Here is another way to look at it to verify what I am saying: It's forth and goal from the opponents two yard line and we are behind by 4 with 30 seconds left in the game. Who do you want with the ball in their hand when we have to score?:

a) Taylor

b) Morris

c) Faulk

d) Maroney

I did not put in the Law Firm.

I think you will see where I am going with this. I like the kid but.........

As they say, in the NFL perhaps the easiest piece to replace with a new one is RB.
DW Toys

E) Tom Brady, assuming he's still allowed to pass the ball. If its a straight run play I would chose Maroney over Faulk as well.

I don't think the patriots would get equal value in return. Maroney is a BEAST when healthy. He just needs to hit the hole hard like he was doing at the end of the 07 season. He has the power and speed to be a gamechanger. He actually is about the same size as corey dillion was just faster.

A healthy Maroney gets one more season to prove himself -- then they'll be no justifiable excuses. If he's not healthy again -- then he's unreliable -- and gone.

If I could get a 2nd round pick back, in a heartbeat. This allows the Pats to trade one of their 2nd rounders for a future 1st and still have 3 second rounders to play with. But nobody is giving a 2nd for Maroney. Cassel only got a high 2nd, Maroney's value is miniscule in comparison. Who are we going to dupe into taking Maroney when he has done nothing to increase his value?

Besides it's not like we're the only one that can see his flaws: lack of vision, injury prone, dances in the hole, etc. The other GMs/scouts in the league have eyes too. We're stuck with Maroney, so just grin and bear it and hope the light switch goes on in 2009.

Last edited:
If I could get a 2nd round pick back, in a heartbeat. This allows the Pats to trade one of their 2nd rounders for a future 1st and still have 3 second rounders to play with. But nobody is giving a 2nd for Maroney. Cassel only got a high 2nd, Maroney's value is miniscule in comparison. Who are we going to dupe into taking Maroney when he has done nothing to increase his value?

Besides it's not like we're the only one that can see his flaws: lack of vision, injury prone, dances in the hole, etc. The other GMs/scouts in the league have eyes too. We're stuck with Maroney, so just grin and bear it and hope the light switch goes on in 2009.

Valid,
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes