Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the worst Pats playoff loss in the Bill/Brady era?

• 2006 @ Colts

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • 2007 - you know the game

Votes: 56 68.3%
  • 2009 vs Ravens

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 2010 vs Jets

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 2017 SB vs Eagles

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
I'll never get over the 2007 (2008) loss in the game whose name cannot be mentioned.

The loss to the Jests at home is a painful memory (especially after whipping them earlier) but that team played well in the playoffs that year, beating the Colts the week before and coming back from three TD's down in the AFCCG against the Steelers to make it a game late in the fourth quarter, shutting them out in the second half and with Mr. Buttfumble outplaying Big Ben.

The loss to the Iggles was a case of "every dog has its day" and, in this case, the dog executed its gameplan perfectly. Annoying, though, since the Philly Special appears on the SB highlight reels with Edelman's catch and Butler's pick.

Last edited:
I can certainly understand why many would say 2007. To me though it wouldn't have even been a joyous occasion, due to all the daily BS reporting from espn for the previous five months. It would have just allowed me to vent my anger at TWWL even more than I already had.

2006 for multiple reasons. I really detested the way the media had been portraying Manning as the aw shucks regular likeable guy and Dungy as an absolute saint - plus the 'so tired of the Pats winning' national sentiment was already in full force, with media outside New England openly rooting against them.

While it was still early, everything looked great after Asante Samuels' pick-six made it 21-3. Watching the Colts slowly but surely comeback was incredibly painful. It was so very un-Patriot like to let an 18-point lead disappear.

On top of that this was the de facto championship game. The Bears may have been the only NFC team that season that would have made the playoffs had they been in the AFC. I think they only had two wins against teams with winning records, and IIRC their QB (Rex Grossman) had more turnovers than touchdowns.

IMO

SB 42> SB 52> 2010 AFC Divisional> 2006 AFCCG> SB 46>2015 AFCCG> 2009 Wildcard Game> 2012 AFCCG> 2005 AFC Divisional> 2013 AFCCG> 2019 AFCCG.
Very close to my order of:

SB42 - SB52 - 2006AFCC - SB46 - 2010AFCD - 2015AFCC

Deadlock among 2005AFCD...2012 AFCC...and 2019 AFCW

2009AFCW and in last place 2013AFCC are clearly the least painful.

Strahan’s commentary says it all about how close that was. I think Moss could have caught that one. A little further of a throw and it’s a TD. o_O

Moss was catching those sort of passes all year too.
Moss should've had his hands higher and IN FRONT OF Webster's hands...Moss had a bad habit sometimes of letting the ball fall to him instead of attempting to high-point the catch, and I believed then as I believe now that this was the case here.

Last edited:
Moss should've had his hands higher and IN FRONT OF Webster's hands...Moss had a bad habit sometimes of letting the ball fall to him instead of attempting to high-point the catch, and I believed then as I believe now that this was the case here.
I was not a fan of this and it finally caught up to him.

Similarly to Welker, at that point in the game, in time, in history, this was the moment when you must do whatever you have to do to make the play - live or die. Lay out, the ball is your first born, the option of not catching it does not exist.

I'm not saying it's easy. But in life, I've found more often than not you have to fight to survive, to succeed, to win. That's the way it is. Nothing against Randy or Wes. I can hear Vince Lombardi's voice preaching the gospel- he never sugarcoated it.

Very close to my order of:

SB42 - SB52 - 2006AFCC - SB46 - 2010AFCD - 2015AFCC

Deadlock among 2005AFCD...2012 AFCC...and 2019 AFCW

2009AFCW and in last place 2013AFCC are clearly the least painful.

I agree but it's too hard to think about.

probably the last one. the 2019 game against the titans. That team was full of scrubs and I cant blame brady for leaving

The loss in the 2006 season vs. the Colts. The Pats should have won that game and if they did, they would have beaten the Bears. The other games were just a case of the better team that day beating the Pats. Losing out on the perfect season was horrible, but I respect that the Giants outplayed and outgamplanned the Patriots like the Pats did with the Greatest Show on Turf.

2007. Brady could’ve retired after that had it been a win and been the GOAT right there

I'm shocked.

How many years of Patriots fandom are represented in this thread? How many hours of research, stat assessment, discussion and arguments right here on this site? Yet the answer has not been given.

The next one, folks. The worst playoff loss is always the next one.

Or 2007 ... god I hate the ending of the 2007 run.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back