Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the worst Pats playoff loss in the Bill/Brady era?

• 2006 @ Colts

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • 2007 - you know the game

Votes: 56 68.3%
  • 2009 vs Ravens

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 2010 vs Jets

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 2017 SB vs Eagles

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Regarding the 2006 AFCCG... can someone explain to me why Belichick had Eric Alexander attempting to cover Indy's TE's from start to finish when it was pretty evident from the jump that he couldn't do it?

Who would of you used? Chung wasn’t there yet. Seau, Bruschi would of got roasted. Safeties weren’t available with Harrison and Wayne over the top. Alexander was the most athletic LB they had, it’s just he sucked!

Regarding the 2006 AFCCG... can someone explain to me why Belichick had Eric Alexander attempting to cover Indy's TE's from start to finish when it was pretty evident from the jump that he couldn't do it?

Who would of you used? Chung wasn’t there yet. Seau, Bruschi would of got roasted. Safeties weren’t available with Harrison and Wayne over the top. Alexander was the most athletic LB they had, it’s just he sucked!
He was a special teams guy. He had 1 start in his entire useless career. In the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

The Loss to the Giants was easily the worst playoff loss.

1.) Team would have won a championship if not for that loss (can't say that about the '09 Ravens game)
2.) Team was a HEAVY favorite
3.) Obviously the whole undefeated thing

Nothing comes close

The other ones are debatable.

Like I said, the Ravens in 09 gave us a good whoopin, but the sting wasn't nearly as bad b/c it was early in the playoffs and I don't think we realistically thought we were going to win it all.

2017 Eagles prevented a championship, but they were a good team so while it's disappointing, it's hard to qualify that as the worst loss ever.

People actually voted for something else? Different strokes, I guess.

What an uplifting topic.

Let me suggest some new ones.

Most painful dental procedure

Most hurtful lie you have been told.

Worst death of a family member.

Favorite Car Accident

Because Billy wanted to add this to his Greatest Hits Collection of blunders.
What about James Sanders? Alexander was an abomination at LB, was their worst LB since joining the team and had no business being on the field. The real question is why were the Pats in this position? They had a massive need after the 2004 season letting McGinest walk and Bruschi suffering a stroke with the threat of his career in jeopardy. In fact, this and CB were their only need, yet Bill ignored it (as he usually does). They were old and slow at LB for many years which helped cost them the 2005 season (DB being #1), and especially the AFCCG and 2007 Super Bowl.

2007 and it isn't even remotely close. The only game to make me, a grown ass man, make me cry like baby. I sobbed hard and it was the most pain I've ever felt as a sports fan. Perfection, the chance to be the greatest team of all time, and to have Brady anointed as the GOAT with one more win.

As much as it pains me to remember the Tyree catch it's the first hail mary to Moss at the end that I can't get out of my head and I replay it over and over. If it wasn't for Corey Websters left ring finger Moss would have caught that or if it had been thrown a yard deeper so Moss didn't have to slow down he could have caught it and took it to the house for one of the most kick ass ways to end a game.

It wasn't until after 2016 and Brady getting his 5th ring that I feel like I've really healed from 2007.

2007 and it isn't even remotely close. The only game to make me, a grown ass man, make me cry like baby. I sobbed hard and it was the most pain I've ever felt as a sports fan. Perfection, the chance to be the greatest team of all time, and to have Brady anointed as the GOAT with one more win.

As much as it pains me to remember the Tyree catch it's the first hail mary to Moss at the end that I can't get out of my head and I replay it over and over. If it wasn't for Corey Websters left ring finger Moss would have caught that or if it had been thrown a yard deeper so Moss didn't have to slow down he could have caught it and took it to the house for one of the most kick ass ways to end a game.

It wasn't until after 2016 and Brady getting his 5th ring that I feel like I've really healed from 2007.

I picked a bad month to give up drinking

Losing a Superbowl i just different..

That 2006 loss was the hardest for me. We shouldn’t have ever beaten SD the week before...total fluke but amazing win.
We had PManning on the ropes at RCA...lest we forget what a MACHINE the Colts were. The amount of crazy plays that took place also gave the game a surreal feeling. Losing to your most hated rival is the worst.

2010 Jets was my vote. That team was rolling through the competition, embarrassing good teams in their own stadiums, and Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez made them look pathetic. At least we saw warning signs in 2007.

Reactions: sb1
2010 Jets was my vote. That team was rolling through the competition, embarrassing good teams in their own stadiums, and Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez made them look pathetic. At least we saw warning signs in 2007.
And those clowns mocking and insulting the team especially Brady before and after the game. Bart Scott trashing the Patriots defense after the game and calling Brady overrated. The Jets fabricating a story about Brady mocking them and Cromartie calling Brady an ahole. Rex Ryan saying Brady doesn't put in the prep work before the game unlike Peyton and after the game trolling that he’s pretty good but he's no Peyton.

Hideous loss. Hate that we lost to those clowns and had to hear all that crap. That's why it's the worst for me - we let another team talk trash before the game and let them back it up in our own stadium. Almost all the time we're the ones shutting up the other team. Not that time.

Last edited:

Yeah, I felt like I healed a lot after SB49, but 28-3 was so special that it really completed the healing process from 2007. All is well now for me.

This is going to be short and sweet. I wasn't even that upset and could easily take this off my list. Why? When you bench a starter playing 98% percent of the snaps in favor of Rowe (the worst rated CB in the league), then putting Rowe on the Eagles best WR, Jordan Richards, and Johnson Bademosi told me Bill didn't really care about winning the game
Your reasoning is why this is the worst for me...bugs me more now than 2007. It was a choice to lose. If you blow it on the field, so be it. This was a choice. Beginning of the end for Bill and Tom, even though they won another Super Bowl together.

2007 obviously terrible. 2006 kills me, because when you think of how many Super Bowls the Pats COULD have won, since this wasn't a Super Bowl it doesn't get counted. What was it, a 3rd & 4 to Brown to clinch? Painful. 2005 also for the reasons given.

2009? Painless. 2010? eh. So early. 2011? If it wasn't the freaking Giants I'd hardly care at all...team wasn't that good and karmic justice for the serial killer not to get a ring. But the Eagles Super Bowl was theirs. 2007. 2006, then 2005. That was tough few years wasn't it? Still awesome seasons though.

You specify "BB/Brady Era" or obviously the answer would always be December 18, 1976.

What an uplifting topic.

Let me suggest some new ones.

Most painful dental procedure

Most hurtful lie you have been told.

Worst death of a family member.

Favorite Car Accident
Well I for one am not wasting my time on such a useless thread.

If you want me I will be on the Tobin Bridge. Briefly.

I'm the "Other"

There have certainly been worse losses in terms of embarrassment (2010 Jets), humiliation (2009 Ravens) and what was at stake (AFCCG, SB, etc).

I can't really explain it but the divisional loss to the Broncos in 06 (2005 season) just sticks with me.

No question the team had flaws and played poorly but I just recall being down in the dumps after that loss for a solid week.
I picked 2006 but that Broncos game sticks with me as well. Still remember being down after that, Bradys first playoff loss. The calls that went against us and everything else. We out played them that night.

The 05 loss in Denver didn’t bother me too much. The team wasn’t that good that year and I didn’t expect a deep playoff run.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes