PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst case scenario @27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Floyd is not at all a workout warrior. If he worked out well, that's just a bonus. This kid has been the best receiver/player on his team since he was a sophomore in high school. He has tremendous ability to adjust to the ball when it is thrown.

He got a DUI at some point, but was also named a team captain at Notre Dame. One DUI does not a character concern make.

I'm not even advocating taking Floyd in round 1, although I certainly would take him in round 2. He has never not been a stud, and his production at Notre Dame was effected by playing with a rotating QB carousel.

He's had two DUI's. Not one. That's the problem. One more and what's his legal status?

Konz and Barron would both be fine.

He's had two DUI's. Not one. That's the problem. One more and what's his legal status?

A rookie can't start with more than one strike in the substance abuse policy.

I like Baron, just not in the first round. I also think his skill set and Chung's are too much alike. I'd rather they get a cover guy.

I guess going with Konz is exactly the unsexy safe pick the Patriots would make and that we should expect. He does have the stuff to be a long term starter but I'd so much rather go Ben Jones with our second pick in the second round.

I just want an impact defender and know in the back of my mind it's not happening.

I think we have a unique opportunity to be in because we can get the best Safety(Barron) and the best Center(Konz) at picks 27 and 31...and we have holes at BOTH positions. There arent many Safeties available in free agency and even if we resign Connolly, Konz could be there for the next decade. While people have equated "doubling down" with TE 2 years ago and RB last year....but this year it wont be at WR, it will be interior OL.

Possibly, but seems like a stretch with Mankins, Waters, Cannon and IMO the pobably return of Connolly, on the Roster. But I can definitely see drafting Konz or another Center fairly high.

That list is very pathetic for the #27 pick in the draft. All would be clearly overdrafted.

However I go with Baron because no one has convinced me that Chung can stay healthy for 16 plus games a season.

And each of the WR's has a wart or two or three that scares me.

No I like Glenn it's just not an area of need. I like Konz too I just think Jones isn't a large drop off and can be had at the end of the second.

That list is very pathetic for the #27 pick in the draft. All would be clearly overdrafted.

However I go with Baron because no one has convinced me that Chung can stay healthy for 16 plus games a season.

And each of the WR's has a wart or two or three that scares me.

Very true. I think the same about Mayo, Spikes, and Dowling.

So what part of the first round doesn't have pathetic options, ie who would you trade up for?

That is a potential problem. However, two DUIs show bad judgment, not bad character. Not sure what kind of kid he is, but that is what the vetting process with interviews is for. Jared Allen was an absolute wild man in college and in his early days with Kansas City and he's mellowed out and become a pillar of the community in Minnesota. Definitely a dicey situation and you can't get a 3rd one because that could really mean jail time, let alone league discipline.

No longer responding to the above quoted text, someone earlier mentioned that Floyd had down production. He had 179 catches and 21 touchdowns the last two years. He set the single season Notre Dame record for catches and career records for catches, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, and 100 yard games. He has been a complete and utter stud every time he's stepped on a football field his entire life. The concerns are with his drinking, not his production.

Very true. I think the same about Mayo, Spikes, and Dowling.

So what part of the first round doesn't have pathetic options, ie who would you trade up for?

If somebody they really like drops to 20 I think they have to pull the trigger or we are looking drafting interior offensive linemen as the BPA or trading down as usual. Question is do they like any of the DL enough for that.

Barron? Isn't Barron more of a strong safety and don't the Patriots need a free safety? Besides Barron makes too much sense for the Patriots; BB will confound us.

But please Bill, please do not make the first pick a Center, ugh.

Last edited:
I think we have a unique opportunity to be in because we can get the best Safety(Barron) and the best Center(Konz) at picks 27 and 31...and we have holes at BOTH positions.

Ah but that makes too much sense! Look at all the pass rushing talent BB passed on last year in the early going. The Patriots had a burning need for pass rush help and the draft was loaded with pass rushers so what did the Patriots do? Take a gentle giant OT and a bunch of tomato cans.

Ah but that makes too much sense! Look at all the pass rushing talent BB passed on last year in the early going. The Patriots had a burning need for pass rush help and the draft was loaded with pass rushers so what did the Patriots do? Take a gentle giant OT and a bunch of tomato cans.

Idiotic post. Solder was one of the best picks in that draft, Ridley played well and Cannon was A steal. The way people here just throw crap at the wall hoping it will stick is simply amazing.

How many rookie pass rushers were both available and played in the Pats' scheme last season? That's an awful lot of whining about a team that brought in 20 sacks last offseason.

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Matt Kalil OT
Morris Claiborne CB
Justin Blackmon WR
----------
Trent Richardson RB
Riley Reiff OT
Quinton Coples DE
Melvin Ingram OLB
Michael Brockers DT
-------------
David DeCastro OG
Luke Kuechly ILB
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Jonathan Martin OT
Andre Branch OLB
----------
Fletcher Cox DT
Janoris Jenkins CB
Kendall Wright WR
Dontari Poe DT
Courtney Upshaw OLB
------------
Devon Still DT
Nick Perry DE
Whitney Mercilus DE
Jerel Worthy DT
Dont'a Hightower ILB
---------
Kendall Reyes DT

In no particular order those those the first 26 picks. Admittedly I move Tannehill down for this exercise and given last year's draft he's probably gone but lets assume his stock has dropped and there are no trade partners and we are picking here. Below are some of the names that have been thrown around as potential Patriots picks. Unfortunately in the first round I only like Glenn and it's not a position of need. Konz and Thompson are borderline firsts but I have doubts about Thompson in our scheme and center isn't the biggest area of need. I think Floyd was a workout wonder and do not see the first round value there.

Assuming you can't trade down who's your pick?

Michael Floyd WR
Mark Barron SS
Ryan Tannehill QB
Cordy Glenn OG
Rueben Randle WR
Peter Konz C
Brandon Thompson DT
Coby Fleener TE
Alshon Jeffery WR
Alfonzo Dennard CB
Stephen Hill WR

Assuming that (a) this is the way that the draft fell, and (b) there was no willing partner to trade down, then how about Vinny Curry?

Last edited:
Assuming that (a) this is the way that the draft fell, and (b) there was no willing partner to trade down, then how about Vinny Curry?

Eww. That's a round too early for him in my opinion.

Isn't Barron more of a strong safety and don't the Patriots need a free safety?.

No, Barron is a well rounded safety that happened to play SS at Alabama.He's better in coverage than Lester. While he's a little rough in man but he is as good as any in zone overage. His instincts are second to none. Twelve picks at Bama.

No, Barron is a well rounded safety that happened to play SS at Alabama.He's better in coverage than Lester. While he's a little rough in man but he is as good as any in zone overage. His instincts are second to none. Twelve picks at Bama.

They might be better off getting one of the larger CBs and converting him to safety or moving McCourty there. The FS has to have good cover (and tackling) skills. Hey but what he heck do I know; I am not a GM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back