PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Apologize for clips everywhere but much easier just to look at a thread like this. Watching the C's and don't want to look at film yet. Brown limping.

Crack-toss

Split Zone/Zone X2 and a Sony rec

Lead Zone X2.

Sony stepping right up in pass pro

Interesting - I feel like most on this board, when trying to slot Williams into a role in what is a deep secondary, pegged him as someone to cover TEs. I was at work and wasn't able to watch too much, but he did well outside of the two penalties?

Interesting - I feel like most on this board, when trying to slot Williams into a role in what is a deep secondary, pegged him as someone to cover TEs. I was at work and wasn't able to watch too much, but he did well outside of the two penalties?

Yeah, blanked him other than the penalties (and one hold was pretty minor). I'll be curious to see the replays.

Yeah looked pretty comfortable even with the flags. Was on him at least twice-maybe three times on 3rd down? I thought he was pretty good.
Here's one press rep, 3rd & 6 at like 53 seconds.

Yeah, blanked him other than the penalties (and one hold was pretty minor). I'll be curious to see the replays.

That's great - glad Bill has found a spot for him. He very well could've been in the past two games and I just missed it, but this is the first time I saw his name pop up. Proving we have not only a great secondary, but very versatile.

Every team needs a Renfrow. So savvy & smart. Tough & elusive, showing off the quicks after the catch. Little choice route reading leverage. Takes the out with the middle clogged up. He runs this about 5 times a game. I saw it 2-3 times today.

Pretty close to a hold on Rivers. Great adjustment and tracking by Renfrow. Catch through contact. Just keeps making plays. Again he should be a Patriot. How the hell didn't we get him to learn from Jules?!?

Never thought Onwenu would have this impact but man has he been clutch. Not dominating but good in almost everything he's been tasked with doing. Rookie with no camp playing extra T, RT & RG. This shouldn't be understated.

Darren Waller is a name every draftnik knows well. Probably entered the game too early in the sense that the league wasn't ready for him in the sense of creativity and usage. He definitely wasn't ready for the league. Big time battle with substance abuse early on. Sounds and looks like different dude. Seems happy, humble, focused.
He broke last year, I still remember David Carr talking him up before last season. Obviously there was a connection there.

Waller is a feature force for Oakland. Gruden loves moving him around & Carr absolutely depends on him. There's a real trust there. Especially on 3rd down. Waller or Renfrow have Carr's trust. He's going his way or looking his way no matter what.

He's used everywhere. Inline, tight-reduced/slot, outside, motion. Eats up a cushion. Big time catch radius - definitely need length & quicks to defend. Esp in MOF on crossers & those option/leverage routes. Play him like the power forward he is. Try to get underneath, tight to the hip on crossers. It's about your position more than his. He'll kick in inside/outside depending on how the defender is playing him. Or Just keep going. He's so big, quick, fast, long he just creates natural separation with a step or hesitation by the defender. He can block too. At times he'll lock you out with those long arms. Inline, stalk block in the slot/tight formation.
He really moves. Explosive steps out, eats up chunks of yards, can stop/start. Long strides. Really fun to watch.

Lots of timing of timing, reading a defender & precision between WR/QB so disrupting him off the los is key. You have to move him, put him on the ground. Let Wino, Simon or someone really lay into him once or twice. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill told his guys "Hey if you can hit him, anyone, within 5 yards, do it" or something to that effect. Stopping him isn't a one man job. I'd love to see our LB's lay some fear in him if they nothing else on the shallow crossers.

Definitely expect Gilly on him on 3rd down. 3rd downs have been enormous on both sides. Carr is 15/18, 2 TDs on 3rd down and just as good from 3rd & 5+ yards. So they're converting both run/pass.

They're running game has been so good on 1st/2nd down and putting them in good position. Jacobs is what we hoped Sony would be if we're being honest. Just a really good, instinctive inside runner. Tough, takes on & gives contact but also really good at getting skinny. Reducing his target. Great runner.

Carr still waits for guys to get open but seems to trust this group more. Seems to have a new attitude. Awareness, spacing will be key for our shallow/hook-MOF defenders. Carr has struggled with 2hi/C2 looks in the past but with Waller & now Ruggs it's tough to pull that off but I still expect to see some type run. Some variation that protects that player. We've run a similar "zone/man match" pattern as Oakland's DC Guenther before. I could see us in some split coverage/different coverage on each side depending on their formation, where Waller is. Something like C6 (combo coverage) Again Carr has had trouble with these looks in the past so expect the usual pressure up front married to the coverage to disrupt their timing and best players.

Still very suspect under pressure. Especially when it comes in waves imo. Which I expect on Sun. He can slide, step up, see some stuff coming but just shuts down at a certain point. He needs to see it coming and feel good about the pass.

Carr still gets flustered at times. He's not someone who can make it happen like Russ. Again he step up as rushers are pushed up field but the closer it gets the quicker he breaks down.

Their OL is very good-great but Bill will absolutely scheme up something like he always does. Disguise, overload he's getting to Carr. NO got to him early but just couldn't capitalize as a team.

Simpson looked a little shakey when he had to come in. Missed like 3 combo blocks that left Miller and others in a bad position. You can get after him. Hudson next to him as well. Really good in the run game but suspect in pass pro.

Miller looks good. Powerful, quick mover. Definitely who they envisioned when picking him that early. Great pass protector.

Got some luck, Ruggs is out! That's big news even though he's a rookie. He can play. Hopefully we get luckier and Waller is out or banged up for real. Carr and Ruggs are still figuring things out though. No camp, no time so it's understandable they're (Carr/Ruggs) aren't on the same page yet. I noticed a few times how open Ruggs was. The ran him on those deep overs at Bama and like Hill in KC he'll continue to take the top off.

Moreau isn't a bad #2 TE at all. Only like 20 rec his rookie year but 5 TD and Carr only passed for like 22. He's more than capable

I really expect a big bounce back from the defense. C2 variations to take away Carr's favorite spots & targets. I wouldn't be surprised to see a zombie front in obvious pass down to confuse Carr and take away his throwing lanes.

We've seen their stretch zone before. Their OL is a great group as a whole but we've been here before. At least mentally, we know what we're up against. Rams, SF ... Our staff is watching everyone. We have know-how. The question is if we have the personnel to match and execute for 4 quarters against a team committed to running the ball. Even on 3rd & 5 or we. They're confident and have the group to pull it off. They know their identity. Hopefully this defense responds in a big way and creates one of their own.

Oak/NE

OL -
Wynn was very good. I'd give him a B/B+. He pushed guys up field all day and showed very good quickness running the arc. Buried his man on that pretty sweet Cam scramble. Check out the climb here by him & Thuney here off lead zone. Great block by Asiasi taking DE.

Mason had a great kick out block on Rex TD. He was great slipping off initial block. He was excellent today. Probably our best OL'm along with Thuney today? He was big time in the run game.

Thuney was outstanding in space. I thought 72/71 played a pretty clean games as well. 71 has shown a lot of versatility so far with no camp. He's been great. Big time contributions from a lot of different positions and tasks.

Sony ran hard but was more patient overall. Rex might be our most versatile RB. Taylor ran well. Keep it going. I mentioned that our OL strength(s) is the athleticism they bring. Extremely athletic group. We killed Oak with Crack/Toss & OZ today. We have to let the OL do what they do best and the running game will take care of itself.

Cam has had 2-3 batted passes to Wynn's side. Has to manipulate the situation better/use his eyes. Next time Wynn gets a "jumper" he needs to put that guy on his ass. He made a few mistakes but was good enough with a few timely scrambles. 2 bad mistakes but fortunately Oak beat themselves a lot of the day and we didn't

That was definitely the story of the first half. Oak should of had another 7 at least but with flags and fumbles they pissed it away.

Would like to see how much C2/2hi looks we ran today. Before the year I thought we see more league-wide and maybe us. I couldn't count but we ran it a few times today and Carr traditionally has had some trouble. DMC played eyes down in the red zone on that tipped pass. Carr has slow eyes going through his progressions in MOF and you saw it there.

Continue to see some issues handling mesh/shallow crossers. We're not as tight as we could/should be. Have to be better with the group we have.

Bentley continues to disappoint. No flow, bad fits. No Change of direction. I posted a lowlight video a few pages back and it hasn't got better. Before the year I talked a little about what his responsibilities will be and he's struggled in almost all areas. Few decent plays in coverage but those are few and far between. Like 1-2 a game for 5 poor plays. He's yet to take a rep where that really stood out as something you can point to and say "ok we'll be ok".

Harry was awful last week blocking in Seattle. Much better today. I thought that cheap shot last week was his best looking route so far but that play on Arnette was his best to date imo. Sharp, made a play after the catch. Hopefully we see more of that.

Talked about the trust Carr has for Renfrow and you saw it on that big play. Renfrow isn't just a guy. Tough, smart as hell. Such a student of the game. Vets and rookies pick his brain hes that knowledgeable and good. No idea why he isn't here learning from 11! Talk about perfect Patriot.

Can't wait to see the Waller coverage. Literally only heard about him when Tony brought him up. Great job. Bill B special right there. When we saw that pic early this week you just knew he was coming for blood against Gruden & Oak. Oakland made a lot of mistakes today but Bill came out prepared and credit to the defense for 3-4 big plays today.

OL continues to be the star of the show. Oakland isn't intimidating but throw a lot at you and we didn't flinch. Banged up without DA (top 10 C so far) and we didn't flinch.

Onwenu deserves mention again. We're asking him to play multiple positions. Run, pass block, get in space, run. Extra OL, G & RT so far and absolutely crushing it.

Rec was great. Get him more rec early on please. Out wide, screens, zone ... Get him moving in space. Again might be our most versatile back.

Looked like JC played a heck of a game as well! Continuing to climb the latter as a legit top 10-12 CB.

Biggest news is we could be 3-0. We're competing with different teams. Winning different ways. Nothing has been easy so far but we've responded and looked like a team all 3 games.

Can't wait to watch this one again.

Dan "RPO was invented to make zone defense unplayable" Orlovsky. He's

This is a beautiful play. Maybe our most well executed/designed runs all year. I love this stuff.
Lead Zone - well designed but better execution!
Asiasi turns around the DE allowing Wynn to climb & carry his man out the picture. Check out Wynn's foot firing feet letting the play develop, nice patience. Thuney climbs and clears some serious space. 72 gains inside hands and moves his man 5 yards off the ball.

We had like 3-4 highlight runs this week. Congrats to the RB's. They all came up huge and helped out the OL. WR/TE were very good. Edleman has been great his whole career. So underrated there. Harry redeemed himself after last week's poor blocking performance. He was a lil dinged up and had a decent-good overall game. Loved what I saw today from him on a few plays.

NE/Oak bump, basically last two pages. Before & after the game notes.

Credit @jeffphowe
IMG_20200928_125549.jpg

Best defenders so far?
Winovich, JC & DMC.

Offense?
Cam & OL. Remember when people really wanted/thought Stidham was starting > Cam?
OL has been fantastic. We have top 10-15 guys that their respective positions across the board save RT and that spot has been better than good enough.

4 verts with a little checkdown in MOF. Same play different formations. Moreau is a player. He has like 6 TD on 23 rec in 16 games. He needs to be involved more in that offense. Offense is clearly loaded. We'll see how Carr responds going forward but the sky is the limit with a good QB. Problem is Gruden has to be Carr's Shanahan and hold his hand 90% of the game. You can win with both but not bc of both.

Anyway here are the plays.
Remember w/e someone brings up 12 or 20 personnel - just think of TE/RB. You're basically just counting them and by process of elimination you can tell who's on the field.
11 (1 TE / 1 RB)

Sunday
13 (3 TE / 1RB) Jacobs in MOF gives it away

On Josh Allen's improvement, from mechanics to decision-making.

By all rights his team should be 1-2...So Josh Allen, his whiney b!tch HC & the Entire Barfalo Billiards organization can GFT.

#27 Trayvon Mullen wanted no part of Rex. He put out his hand as if to say "don't hit me!"
Business decision. Rex is already flying three or four yards deep into the EZ, Mullen just needs a red cape for that Olé!

...Moreau is a player. He has like 6 TD on 23 rec in 16 games. He needs to be involved more in that offense...

Same as the case with Renfrow, Bill just hadta have him some Yawndy Cachoo & Frodo much (and in the case of Frodo, much Much) earlier than he needed to take them...Asiasi/Keene really Really need to become our version of Moreau/Dawson Knox...

I see Scar's imprint all over this OL. Pats athleticism on the offensive line is not only evident but potentially explosive if we can get the right mix of creativity from coaching and players (RB) We've seen it and I really feel like the personnel is there. We just need to find the right mix.
I'd love to see us utilize Rex or any RB in passing game early on. Especially when White comes back. I'd like to see 3-4 packages of them two together.

Here's some of the best runs from this past week. Again you can see how good we are in space, climbing to the 2nd, getting up field. Lots to build on. Learn from. Good design, great execution.

He had a few nice blocks in this game. The outside/wide zone where Thuney had that beautiful reach. Love his attitude & fight.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back