PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Gabe Davis - somewhat limited coming out but was another guy who was really good at a few things like tracking the ball. Very good hand/eye coordination while adjusting his speed/route. +Blocker. Potential intermediate sideline threat. Ended up with a 2nd from me. Little surprised but he some really good reps on tape.

Looks like KVN made a business decision during that catch...

Also agree about Davis...Too bad Bill threw away his two 4th-rounders in those stupid trade-ups; he could've used one of them on Davis (or even on Antonio Gandy-Golden) at 125...

Yeah, Gabriel Davis is a very underrated pick for BUF. Also, Shenault reminds me of Cordarelle Patterson; better as a WR, but nowhere as good as a KR/PR.
Davis fell into a great spot. No one knows who he even is yet. You're focused on Allen/running game, Diggs and others before Davis. Should get some good opportunities.

JaWrong Bentley & the 'Roid Cheat Jete are Less Than Useless...Damn shame that Bill hasn't seen fit to replace those two stiffs...
I almost feel bad for Bentley bc he's playing behind a light front. I honestly have no idea how many times we've been in base this year, no clue? A lot of light - 1/2 IDL with Cowart, Butler, Wise & Guy mixes.

But even still he's making 2-3 killer mistakes a game. Again Oak could've ran on us I believe but just abandoned it.

Like the first two plays are rough. He gets held a little bit but doesn't need to eat all of that block but good on Oak as well. A little more flow/rock over the other gap. He's going to get eaten alive taken on blocks head on. He has to use his leverage, get underneath ...
Second play really bothers me. Just a bad fit. Wrong gap. No change of direction. Hit that F'n hole. Could've beat that TE off the combo but again wrong fit. Jacobs will beat most around the corner I suppose but I doubt he's stopping most. Again the lack of athleticism stands out.

He's playing bad but not getting a ton of help either. He's made a few nice plays but that problem is besides Wino we have almost no one making plays at or behind the los.

Definitely two positions to watch in the off-season Capt - IDL/LB. Depending on trade/FA could be big need next April.

Onwenu looked a little confused about his assignment on that play...

P.S.: I dig your new avatar.
Thanks man. I couldn't pass it up once I saw it.
And yes I thought the same. Wynn picked up the stunt a little late but was looking for help imo. I noticed it too.

This is probably the most important game on the schedule even though it's Oct, can't believe it's Oct! But yea its huge bc basically can we put up 30 against a decent defense. They just lost Snead who was playing really well but it's all about the front 7 specifically DL. Jones & Clark can easily wreck your front. Jones power, explosion & ability to play with + leverage is a nightmare to deal with. Good extension & hands. Clark brings a little bit of everything. Speed, finesse, power, hands. Flexibility & ability to reduce his target on his rush. Huge game for our OL!

And it looks like they have an enormous advantage on the other side against our F7. They can absolutely run it down your throat if you're light.

Big game. We need everyone to play a little better this week to keep pace. Bill, Josh & co also have to unleash something in their bag. Defensively, offense, ST. It would be great to get an extra possession.

Can't wait to watch this one.

On the Rams stealing ideas from the Ravens offense. Anyone know how much the Patriots do this "at-snap" motion?

Talked a little bit about defending Waller above and we were top notch today. It's all about disrupting his and Carr's timing. Taking away leverage and attacking him with different bodies/looks. Great job today. Second clip speaks to the preparation the defense put in all week.

This was great Cam - "Aye yo you got him" Zuber "Yup yup yup". Great reach block by Thuney. 75 looked good in limited action. Can't wait to look at the A22

C2 - let's your DB's crash on outside stuff. Not a fav of Carr.

Had a 2nd round grade in Wino and so pumped to see him here and showing out. Loves this double swipe. Flattens out to dip under the tackle. Has that flexibility/bend as well to threaten the arc. He's been one of our top 3-5 defenders this year.

Another play that gets me fired up. Thuney reaching his man, first game at C as a pro and he was so good! Wynn clearing the edge.

What grade would you give Wino now? Would you regrade him as a first?

Cant speak for the Baconator, but Wino would be a slamdunk 1st rounder imo.
No way in hell theres 32 better players than him from that draft class.

Wino is definitely a snap jumper but he's being honest about his style in terms of "feel" & reading what's in front of him. Depending on the set it's usually a double swipe/flatten out. Or just speed/flexibility. One thing I've noticed is he's always very efficient running the arc. Tight steps, creates a little more speed to the QB. Look at his path to the QB here. Nothing fancy at all. Awful set, late, from the tackle Wino gives him nothing to hit and waste no steps at all.

Love the plays off mesh, I'd love to see it more on deeper routes as well. Crossers, post, hi/low and throw in a wrinkle of those. We've seen it before. Think I saw Arizona try it a few times. Gruden has adjusted a lot better than I thought even though they still have a long way to go.

More of this. Especially early on.

Last edited:
Still a 2nd. A little higher but not a lot.

Basically my first three rounds are elite/build around this player (1st round)

immediate impact starter (1st round)

future starter that contributes year 1 (2nd round). I think he fits here considering his snaps (291), role etc

I had it Bosa, Allen, Burns, Sweat, Gary, Ferrell, Omenihu, Winovich.

In hindsight I would only switch Winovich with Gary. Bosa is a HOF type if healthy. Allen and Burns look like big time players imo. Sweat would be a little lower but has been good. Probably have a coin flip between them but I'd keep it mostly the same.

Some context - Older player. So far he's a behind the los player which I love but he still has some work to do in run defense. Like + TFL/Sacks but he has issues in the run game at times. I had him around 8.15. Hindsight I'd give him 8.40's right under 1st.

Still a 2nd. A little higher but not a lot.

Basically my first three rounds are elite/build around this player (1st round)

immediate impact starter (1st round)

future starter that contributes year 1 (2nd round). I think he fits here considering his snaps (291), role etc

I had it Bosa, Allen, Burns, Sweat, Gary, Ferrell, Omenihu, Winovich.

In hindsight I would only switch Winovich with Gary. Bosa is a HOF type if healthy. Allen and Burns look like big time players imo. Sweat would be a little lower but has been good. Probably have a coin flip between them but I'd keep it mostly the same.

Some context - Older player. So far he's a behind the los player which I love but he still has some work to do in run defense. Like + TFL/Sacks but he has issues in the run game at times. I had him around 8.15. Hindsight I'd give him 8.40's right under 1st.

Thanks Bacon. I love your stuff.

Thanks man. I couldn't pass it up once I saw it.
And yes I thought the same. Wynn picked up the stunt a little late but was looking for help imo. I noticed it too.

This is probably the most important game on the schedule even though it's Oct, can't believe it's Oct! But yea its huge bc basically can we put up 30 against a decent defense. They just lost Snead who was playing really well but it's all about the front 7 specifically DL. Jones & Clark can easily wreck your front. Jones power, explosion & ability to play with + leverage is a nightmare to deal with. Good extension & hands. Clark brings a little bit of everything. Speed, finesse, power, hands. Flexibility & ability to reduce his target on his rush. Huge game for our OL!

And it looks like they have an enormous advantage on the other side against our F7. They can absolutely run it down your throat if you're light.

Big game. We need everyone to play a little better this week to keep pace. Bill, Josh & co also have to unleash something in their bag. Defensively, offense, ST. It would be great to get an extra possession.

Can't wait to watch this one.

I'd be interested in hearing how Mayo is coaching him. Last year I'm sure it was less direct, as he was working with Hightower, Van Noy, and Collins, and I'm sure Bentley was in the second row. Now Mayo is getting a real understanding of his game. Furthermore, would it be appropriate to say that the approach on the defensive side of the ball for LB's has probably changed the most from last season, given the talent leaving? Or is he still assuming similar duties and roles?

I'd be interested in hearing how Mayo is coaching him. Last year I'm sure it was less direct, as he was working with Hightower, Van Noy, and Collins, and I'm sure Bentley was in the second row. Now Mayo is getting a real understanding of his game. Furthermore, would it be appropriate to say that the approach on the defensive side of the ball for LB's has probably changed the most from last season, given the talent leaving? Or is he still assuming similar duties and roles?
No I'd say similar duties and roles. I remember talking about HT in the run game. Bill asked him to take on C/G every game. You need to be able to handle that physicality, both give and take. Know how to slip blocks. Only take on 1/2 a man
Heavy hands. He was smart. Athletic. And all at 6'5/265. Just a special player. Underrated in coverage imo.

Bentley's ball/run fits have been bad even when hes been clean and free to make a play. Again though he's not getting a lot of help up front.

I almost feel bad for Bentley bc he's playing behind a light front. I honestly have no idea how many times we've been in base this year, no clue?
Doug Kyed
@dougkyed
Fun fact: The Patriots haven't played a single defensive snap in a "base" defense this season. Nickel: 71 snaps Dime: 59 snaps Quarter: 41 snaps Goal: 4 snaps

6:11 PM · Oct 2, 2020·

Was bored. Just a few random clips but I'm sensing a trend on the short stuff.
The short screens/flat stuff that requires him to make someone miss/break a tackle hasn't been working imo. I'd almost rather him blocking for Rex, 11, Byrd etc? Maybe just take it back a notch on those, reverse etc?
Also as you can see him the targets might be best used with someone else there. We can't miss those lay ups with space.
Another under related *also* No batted passes for Cam this week please? I feel like it's a weekly thing and honestly it's all on him. I feel like I've seen one batted pass at each OL position from T to T.
Again though I'd rather use though targets on someone quicker or Harry on slants, comeback-curl-back shoulder or gods forbid a 25+ shot when while we're getting good protection! Deep crosser.

Second point and this might be nitpicking after Harry got lit up but we need him to make a few of these. Again, we all know what happened earlier.

He has improved in some areas and does look better but we still need to see a lot. I see both sides tbh. I expected more but still have hope. I never thought he'd be a true #1 but solid #2's still tear up this league with no problem. Going back to my thoughts in the draft forum that's kinda what I thought he'd be. Again I still have hope but do see what @Deus Irae and others are talking about in the sense of being disappointed with production and usage. I just care about production over how he's getting it. Like if he's being used as a TE in some cases. I just care he's successful.

Not picking on Harry with these clips I'll post some other stuff but again the short stuff/end-arounds aren't it imo?

We're getting good protection let's get him down the field a bit.

Doug Kyed
@dougkyed
Fun fact: The Patriots haven't played a single defensive snap in a "base" defense this season. Nickel: 71 snaps Dime: 59 snaps Quarter: 41 snaps Goal: 4 snaps

6:11 PM · Oct 2, 2020·
Good stuff thanks.

Shocked and not shocked about the no base. Holy **** not one snap haha!! I mean I haven't been seeing it so I get it but still shocked. But one look at the roster and it'll tell you that before the game starts. Especially with Allen out.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back